Germany
Local time: 18:51
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It does make sense Apr 24, 2017

jyuan_us wrote:

I told Agency B that I had already submitted the test for another agency (whose name I didn't need mention) but Agency B did ask me to do the test anyway.

I'm still wondering why Agency B made such a decision.

It think it makes perfect sense for Agency B. Even if they don't win the contract, they know that the quality of the translation didn't play any role in the decision, so it's a perfect chance to evaluate the competitiveness of other aspects of what they're offering. If they win the contract, they have that too, and the contract on top of everything.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Apr 24, 2017

Thanks everyone for your input!

You've reassured me in my initial thoughts, namely that this should not pose an ethical problem. My main qualms were that the first agency might be in a position to claim ownership of my translation. I have informed both agencies about the situation and asked the first whether they would be fine with my participating in the other one's tender. They were.

So, everybody happy here.

In my opinion, delivering different versions i
... See more
Thanks everyone for your input!

You've reassured me in my initial thoughts, namely that this should not pose an ethical problem. My main qualms were that the first agency might be in a position to claim ownership of my translation. I have informed both agencies about the situation and asked the first whether they would be fine with my participating in the other one's tender. They were.

So, everybody happy here.

In my opinion, delivering different versions is out of the question. Both parties pay me and have the right to expect the best translation I'm able to produce.

Thanks again!

Erik
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
My thoughts entirely Apr 24, 2017

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

This is not a question of “honesty”, as there would be nothing dishonest in accepting both paid tests without saying anything, as long as you are not breaching any agreements with these outsourcers. There is nothing unethical about reusing a translation when it fits, just as there is nothing unethical about using translation memories and term bases.

However, if you disclose that you have received the same test from another outsourcer, you may breach an NDA, as this could provide the second outsourcer with knowledge they shouldn’t have and distort competition between the outsourcers.

We should not disclose anything about our clients unless there is a duty to do so.

[Edited at 2017-04-24 14:49 GMT]

This is the obvious problem that arises here.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
disclosing their subcontractor’s profiles Apr 25, 2017

Marcus König wrote:

Please don’t forget sometimes the contractors (agencies) are required to disclose their subcontractor’s profiles and names in front of the customer. Another good reason to be consistent and fair.

I should hope that they do not disclose this information without letting the translator know... In the days when I worked in an agency we would usually ask the translator for an up-to-date profile, but even if we didn't need to, we would let them know that we were putting their names down as subcontractors.

sazo
sazo  Identity Verified
Croatia
German to Croatian
+ ...
@ I was in a similar situation Apr 26, 2017

Erik Freitag wrote:

Dear colleagues,

Suppose you are asked by different regular clients (agencies) to do a test translation for a prospective client of theirs. Both send you the same text to translate. The test translation is paid. You have already accepted the job from one of those agencies. Can you accept the job from the other agency as well (and obviously deliver the same translation)? Anything else that needs to be considered? What would you do in such a situation?

Many thanks for your thoughts on this!

Kind regards,
Erik

[Edited at 2017-04-24 09:20 GMT]

I was in a similar situation when two different agencies I work for approached me with the same test translation. As I had already done one, I thought it would be unprofessional to accept the other one and informed the agency on the reasons for declining it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Same test translation from different agencies

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »