Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 16:44
French to English
agree with Christine Feb 11, 2016

[quote]Andy Watkinson wrote:

Christine Andersen wrote:

On the other hand, if it is an occasional supplement to kitchen scraps after the humans have picked off their share, then I have no problems with it.

A dog is not a kitchen waste bin. Once the humans have picked off their share the scraps are tossed over one's shoulder for the scrabble to begin?
Bravo!

I felt it was far more unethical when another acquaintance used to keep a pack of mongrels, some three-legged or one-eyed... They had been rescued and brought to Denmark from countries where they had been ill treated or lived wild and starving on the streets. I am not convinced they were ever happy - they were frightened and suspicious of humans, and bringing them to Denmark was IMHO a total waste of time and resources.

Yep. Those three-legged/one-eyed mongrels are a real bummer. A total waste of time and resources.

You can't compensate for all their suffering, and I would have had them put down painlessly, then adopted puppies who still had a chance of a healthy, happy life.

Yep again. Have’em put down so we can adopt some cute puppies.

But they will NOT be nervous wrecks after someone else has mishandled them - I can't cope with animals like that.

Obviously.

I personally would not keep a dog..(…).

Thank God.

[Edited at 2016-02-11 04:01 GMT]

Actually Christine is right on the money about feeding scraps. You have to feed dogs leftovers, after you have eaten your fill, otherwise they think they are one up on you. As animals that live in a pack, dogs need to be kept in their rightful place in the pecking order and should not dominate their owner. That could be dangerous both for the owner and for other people when they take the dog out.

I'm all for putting animals down when their lives are barely worth living. Humans too. Of course it is difficult to assess what "worth living" means and it needs to be examined case by case.

And cute puppies need homes too.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
That could be construed as highly unethical Feb 11, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:
filled to the top with hundreds of tons of canned dog food. The machine was fed by low paid people

They should at least have paid them a lot of money before feeding them in.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 17:44
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mathias Feb 11, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... in the glorious times, when I still was working physically as a technician, I was fixing a shrink-wrapper in a very huge warehouse in Bremen, filled to the top with hundreds of tons of canned dog food. The machine was fed by low paid people originating from countries where eating meat is a feast, enjoyed max. once a week or month, and where dogs don´t have that high ranking as in the Western "developed" countries or are detested by their religion. Yes, it made me think in terms of ethics, if you want, but more on a society level. The machine finally was fixed and the results still can be seen on our Western streets...

for this insight!

I decided to transfer the fee for the job to an organisation which supports women in poor countries.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
...by...with? Feb 11, 2016

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:
filled to the top with hundreds of tons of canned dog food. The machine was fed by low paid people

I didn´t say the machine was fed WITH the operators

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Just pass me the account number Feb 11, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

... in the glorious times, when I still was working physically as a technician, I was fixing a shrink-wrapper in a very huge warehouse in Bremen, filled to the top with hundreds of tons of canned dog food. The machine was fed by low paid people originating from countries where eating meat is a feast, enjoyed max. once a week or month, and where dogs don´t have that high ranking as in the Western "developed" countries or are detested by their religion. Yes, it made me think in terms of ethics, if you want, but more on a society level. The machine finally was fixed and the results still can be seen on our Western streets...

for this insight!

I decided to transfer the fee for the job to an organisation which supports women in poor countries.

Thanks, Heinrich.

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Ah but Feb 11, 2016

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

I didn´t say the machine was fed WITH the operators

A non-native speaker who understands every use of English prepositions is a rare being indeed. In actual fact, I have problems with a few myself now and again. But I'm glad to hear they lived to tell the tale.

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
You can read more here... Feb 11, 2016

https://www.naistenpankki.fi/en/

Matthias Brombach wrote:

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

Matthias Brombach wrote:

for this insight!

Thanks, Heinrich.

Matthias Brombach
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Thanks! Feb 11, 2016

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

https://www.naistenpankki.fi/en/

And for all others, who may now consider me as a dog-hater:
This would be my favorite dog, when living on the country side. I really love to see them and never would name them "pets":
http://drahthaar.de/media/zuchtrueden/1_Benningshof/klein_Fertig_EROT6177.jpg

...and never ever keep them in cities or in flats, please just don´t...

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'm still waiting... Feb 11, 2016

... to find out what the ethical dilemma is here?

Heinrich Pesch
Finland
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's your answer then! Feb 11, 2016

Chris S wrote:

... to find out what the ethical dilemma is here?

For you there is no dilemma.

Anna Sarah Krämer
Anna Sarah Krämer
Germany
Member (2011)
English to German
+ ...
Sigh Feb 11, 2016

I am always torn in these situations - but I usually find it cringeworthy at first when I hear about people spending a lot of money and effort to save three-legged pooches from the streets of Romania or Portugal. I am not sure if that is common sense or personal preference. I usually shrug it off as "At least they help some living being." Although even the three-legged pooches might have a different opinion on that.

What I find strange is that some do not understand the ethical dile
... See more
I am always torn in these situations - but I usually find it cringeworthy at first when I hear about people spending a lot of money and effort to save three-legged pooches from the streets of Romania or Portugal. I am not sure if that is common sense or personal preference. I usually shrug it off as "At least they help some living being." Although even the three-legged pooches might have a different opinion on that.

What I find strange is that some do not understand the ethical dilemma at all. I think it is an alarming sign of decadence when we inhabitants of the rich Western world forget that our pets live better than many people in underdeveloped countries.
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
So nice! Feb 11, 2016

Tomás wrote:
Texte Style wrote:
Having said that, I have two rescued dogs and feel good about doing something for them, since they "did not ask to be born," as teenagers use to yell at you when they are angry.

BTW teens do still tell their parents they never asked to be born.

It is really nice to see that the new generations honour the oldest traditions, like antagonizing their oldies and proclaiming that they did not ask to be born... after which they ask for some dough for a beer and ciggies!

[Edited at 2016-02-11 12:59 GMT]

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Why do others tell us what we think or don't think? Feb 11, 2016

Anna Sarah Krämer Fazendeiro wrote:
What I find strange is that some do not understand the ethical dilemma at all. I think it is an alarming sign of decadence when we inhabitants of the rich Western world forget that our pets live better than many people in underdeveloped countries.

Not meant personally, Anna, but the fact that I find it perfectly acceptable to translate a list of ingredients from one language to another does not mean that I think that a dog's life is more important than a human's life.

To me, this is a totally bizarre thread with very little sensible discussion coming out of it at all. But that's just my view on the world.

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
I think... Feb 11, 2016

it's because the food contains animal derivatives... like feathers, teeth, claws, etc. I don't buy that stuff for my dog. But then, would you translate for a famous fast food company? To me, they are the same...

Sheila Wilson
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Is that the problem? Feb 11, 2016

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL wrote:
it's because the food contains animal derivatives... like feathers, teeth, claws, etc. I don't buy that stuff for my dog

My neighbour's dog got into their hen-house a few days ago. There were few bones left whole, in fact not many left at all. And I really doubt that he removed the beak before crunching on the poor chuck's head.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Non-ethical job?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »