Thread poster: Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:30
English to Italian
Feb 24, 2016

Hello everyone,

I tried searching for it (both on Google and here), but to no avail, so I thought I'd just ask: does anybody know if (and where) it is possible to find (multilingual) glossaries for Linux terminology?

Thanks.

Anton Konashenok
Anton Konashenok  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
French to English
+ ...
Depends on what you need... Feb 24, 2016

I don't think there is a lot of Linux-specific terminology. In Linux-related texts (unlike e.g. Windows) you will mostly encounter general IT terms, which you can find in a good IT dictionary (or even a general technical one). Besides that, there is no such universal concept as Linux. There are numerous variants of Linux operating system, and the terminology (especially localized versions of it) may differ between variants.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your reply Feb 24, 2016

Anton Konashenok wrote:

I don't think there is a lot of Linux-specific terminology. In Linux-related texts (unlike e.g. Windows) you will mostly encounter general IT terms, which you can find in a good IT dictionary (or even a general technical one). Besides that, there is no such universal concept as Linux. There are numerous variants of Linux operating system, and the terminology (especially localized versions of it) may differ between variants.

Thank you, Anton.

Indeed, I was thinking about something along the lines of what MS offers.

I know there are a lot of different distributions out there, but I thought they more or less followed a common standardized terminology, as the basics are the same. Also, since most of the basic components are open source (even in the commercial distros), I thought that perhaps someone might have taken it upon themselves to gather the various localization files and build a glossary (or TM) out of them.

When I used some Linux distribution in the past (namely Ubuntu) I've always kept it in English, so I'm not even sure there actually are full localized versions of the various modules/packages or even of the man pages...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:30
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Contact l10n teams Feb 25, 2016

Linux is not something monolithic. It is a collection of various components (programs, libraries, environments). Thus, you should, probably, better narrow down your search to particular things. Once you decide, contact respective l10n teams and you’ll have a good chance to get some glossaries or translation memories. If, for example, you are interested in KDE l10n, a good point to start is KDE l10n web site.

Mirko Mainardi
Italy
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Excellent idea Feb 25, 2016

esperantisto wrote:

Linux is not something monolithic. It is a collection of various components (programs, libraries, environments). Thus, you should, probably, better narrow down your search to particular things. Once you decide, contact respective l10n teams and you’ll have a good chance to get some glossaries or translation memories. If, for example, you are interested in KDE l10n, a good point to start is KDE l10n web site.

Thanks a lot for your suggestion and for the link. Much appreciated!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Linux glossaries

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »