SQL files: how do you process those files or isolate the string content for translation?
Thread poster: alainabran
alainabran
alainabran
Local time: 05:46
Spanish to English
Jul 17, 2017

Hi all,

I have some SQL files that the client has requested a quote on. How do folks generally process those files or isolate the string content for translation within? I've tried importing into both Trados and memoQ with no luck.

Thanks!

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 19:46
English to Indonesian
+ ...
MySQL Jul 18, 2017

Probably the easiest way - though still not very easy - would be to install MySQL, or (a lot easier) a MySQL browser/viewer. I use Sequel Pro, but it's Mac only, so you may have to find another one.

• Run MySQL or the browser
  • Open ("connect to") the .sql file
  • Convert to Excel
  • In Excel, sele... See more
  • Probably the easiest way - though still not very easy - would be to install MySQL, or (a lot easier) a MySQL browser/viewer. I use Sequel Pro, but it's Mac only, so you may have to find another one.

• Run MySQL or the browser
  • Open ("connect to") the .sql file
  • Convert to Excel
  • In Excel, select the column with the strings to be translated and do your counting

Same procedure if you get the job, translate the Excel file, convert it back to .sql (you may have to adjust "Fields escaped by").

Have fun,

Hans ▲ Collapse

•  

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SQL files: how do you process those files or isolate the string content for translation?

Trados Business Manager Lite
    Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
    Wordfast Pro
    Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »