Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Local time: 16:38
Spanish to French
+ ...
Aug 12, 2017

Hi, All

I am writting to you hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I am facing a very strange situation. I was waiting a payment by June 20th (for a regular client I know well and who always pays me proprly), but as I wasn't getting any news from him, I tried to reach him from another mail ID, to see if he was still "alive".
I got an answer quite fast, but when I explained who I really was, I got a mail informing I was not in contact with the proper client b
... See more
Hi, All

I am writting to you hoping someone will be able to help me out.

I am facing a very strange situation. I was waiting a payment by June 20th (for a regular client I know well and who always pays me proprly), but as I wasn't getting any news from him, I tried to reach him from another mail ID, to see if he was still "alive".
I got an answer quite fast, but when I explained who I really was, I got a mail informing I was not in contact with the proper client but his wife (she told me he had an accident and so she was taking things up, but she didn't answer about my payment requests as she was not directly concerned). What is preoccupatory too is that she said she had to invest all their money on his hospitalization!!!

I tried to get some proofs of that but she answered she had other more important things to deal with.
Since then, I can't get any news about my payment and no answer to my mails...
I contacted other people who worked for the same client and they said they didn't get any news recently neither.

I am quite desperate as this is a huge sum, and I don't know how to act....
I tried to contact the French Ambassy in Pondichéry, but I got no help.

My last hope is maybe to get in contact with a translator based in Pondichéry, who could "analyse" things closer ? As I am in France, I am quite helpless...

Thank you in advance for your kind help.

Cerise

[Modifié le 2017-08-12 08:33 GMT]
Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:38
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
What a horrid problem Aug 12, 2017

My sympathies, Cerise. It's difficult to know what you can do for the best. Finding someone local to the client would certainly be very useful. They could at least get some idea about whether she's lying. Maybe you can find a local lawyer who knows something? Or you could call in a debt recovery company in the area who would only charge if they recover your money. That's often the best way if a company currently has some money but might fail soon - 70% or so is better than nothing, after all.... See more
My sympathies, Cerise. It's difficult to know what you can do for the best. Finding someone local to the client would certainly be very useful. They could at least get some idea about whether she's lying. Maybe you can find a local lawyer who knows something? Or you could call in a debt recovery company in the area who would only charge if they recover your money. That's often the best way if a company currently has some money but might fail soon - 70% or so is better than nothing, after all.

Update. I often use Wikipedia to find out how to discover the health of companies in other countries. It's led me to a site where they'll hopefully be listed if your client was running a properly registered company. I imagine with the details you have of the company (company name; director's name; company number etc) you'll be able to find them there and see if they're still solvent. This is the website: http://www.mca.gov.in/MinistryV2/homepage.html

Good luck and do let us know what happens.
Collapse

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
You should now go and use the "Blue Board" area of Proz ... Aug 12, 2017

... and award the agency in question with one (1) point only, together with a brief explanation, and wait for the reaction of your "partner". You can also opt asking proz.com for assistance, when you fill out the form (correct me, if I´m wrong). How many points does your India based agency already have?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't believe it. Aug 12, 2017

Cerise Meladone wrote:

..... (she told me he had an accident and so she was taking things up, but she didn't answer about my payment requests as she was not directly concerned). What is preoccupatory too is that she said she had to invest all their money on his hospitalization!!!

Don't believe a word of it. And it isn't their money. It's your money.

Take a decision. The decision is: you are going to get paid.

Then start working out how to do it. Coldly, methodically, and not feeling upset or resentful. It's just a job you have to do. Sheila and Mattias have already made a couple of suggestions.

[Edited at 2017-08-12 16:33 GMT]

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:38
Japanese to English
+ ...
Recovering 2700 dollars Aug 13, 2017

From experience I can tell you that agencies in some countries are best ignored.
Geography plays a huge influence in my due diligence on prospective clients.
You might get a cheap fight to Pondichery and visit them in person and complain to the local police department. This might embarrass them. But based on your conversation with the client, it is clear that they are not rational people.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Don't give up Aug 13, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

From experience I can tell you that agencies in some countries are best ignored.
Geography plays a huge influence in my due diligence on prospective clients.
You might get a cheap fight to Pondichery and visit them in person and complain to the local police department. This might embarrass them. But based on your conversation with the client, it is clear that they are not rational people.

Don't give up. Do some research. I spent 5 minutes googling and came up with various possibilities.

Bear in mind that India is one of the most internet and IT-savvy countries in the world, has a well developed space programme, and is one of the BRIC countries. So although you may have a picture in your mind of poverty, dirt, and a vast wealth gap in India, that is certainly not the situation of your non-paying client. Many people in India are extremely well-off.

Here's one guy you might try contacting:

http://www.startupoverseas.co.uk/india/experts/ravi-natu.html

[Edited at 2017-08-13 13:06 GMT]

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Local time: 21:08
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Complaint to local Authorities Aug 13, 2017

Hi Cerise,
I am from India and my suggestion would be to give complaint regarding this dubious dealing to local Authorities. You can even tell your client that you are going to file a complaint to Income Tax Department. If he or she refuses to budge then you can actually file a complaint. You can approach local Police also. I think first you should give them a warning mail.

Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to contact AUthorities ? Aug 13, 2017

Aakash5555 wrote:

Hi Cerise,
I am from India and my suggestion would be to give complaint regarding this dubious dealing to local Authorities. You can even tell your client that you are going to file a complaint to Income Tax Department. If he or she refuses to budge then you can actually file a complaint. You can approach local Police also. I think first you should give them a warning mail.

Thank you. Can you help me by giving me the adress to contact ? I am afraid they won't consider it if I send a simple mail...
Thank you

Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Contact Aug 13, 2017

http://www.startupoverseas.co.uk/india/experts/ravi-natu.html

[Edited at 2017-08-13 13:06 GMT] [/quote]

I just wrote him, thanks.

Let's hope it will help

Aakash5555
Aakash5555
India
Local time: 21:08
Member (2014)
English to Hindi
+ ...
You should not Jump the gun Aug 13, 2017

I think you should first send them a warning mail. In this you can give them some time for Payment and tell them about the options you will take if your Payment is not done. I don't think writing to some private person, like the above will be of any help. You can only get help from Local Authorities.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree but Aug 13, 2017

Aakash5555 wrote:

I think you should first send them a warning mail. In this you can give them some time for Payment and tell them about the options you will take if your Payment is not done. I don't think writing to some private person, like the above will be of any help. You can only get help from Local Authorities.

I agree about the warning email but don't tell them about the options. Just say, very politely, that unless you receive full payment into your bank account by (date) further action may follow without notice.

After that DO NOT contact them again. Let them worry about what you might do.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Indo-French Chamber of Commerce Aug 16, 2017

Perhaps they might provide help in your case:

http://www.ifcci.org.in/

Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New from the client ! Aug 18, 2017

See below what I received from his "wife", after I asked for the last time for a solution ( I contacted all authorities Police, Consulat, CCI... without success).... :

Hi.

I don't say that you can go ahead. If you can find the solution, please go ahead. ED was discharged from Hospital recently and at Rehabs Center at the moment.

Frankly speaking, he has tried a bad movement of suicide attempt last weekend due to financial crisis and physical & mentally ina
... See more
See below what I received from his "wife", after I asked for the last time for a solution ( I contacted all authorities Police, Consulat, CCI... without success).... :

Hi.

I don't say that you can go ahead. If you can find the solution, please go ahead. ED was discharged from Hospital recently and at Rehabs Center at the moment.

Frankly speaking, he has tried a bad movement of suicide attempt last weekend due to financial crisis and physical & mentally inability feeling about him. I'm still being his back bone to get his steady mind as like earlier.

Normally he is not a kind of person. He is very bold but I don't know what's going on in his mind since he feels insecure about the physical loss and financial problems.

I hope that you can understand my state of mind at present. Everything much be resolved so...

Thanks
Collapse

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Maybe her story is true? Aug 18, 2017

What a difficult situation for you!
It's just possible that the lady's story is true. I say this only because usually real scammers and cheats don't reply to payment reminders at all and simply disappear from view. From the message you quote, at least she seems to acknowledge that the money is owed to you.
What response did you receive from the entities you contacted about the situation?
My only suggestion would be to find someone who lives in or near the city where your clien
... See more
What a difficult situation for you!
It's just possible that the lady's story is true. I say this only because usually real scammers and cheats don't reply to payment reminders at all and simply disappear from view. From the message you quote, at least she seems to acknowledge that the money is owed to you.
What response did you receive from the entities you contacted about the situation?
My only suggestion would be to find someone who lives in or near the city where your client is located and might be willing to make enquiries as to whether a Mr ED really suffered an accident recently, was hospitalised and is now in rehab. Perhaps another Prozian based in India could help?
Otherwise, legal action as suggested by Tom in London and others seems your only solution.
Courage, ma belle!
Collapse

Gaëlle L.G (X)
Gaëlle L.G (X)
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers from Authorities Aug 18, 2017

They don't speak english so I couldn't have any communication.
I reached the French Ambassady and got in contact who someone speaking french, who took note of the case and told me he would contact me if anything arises from such information...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to recover my 2700 Dollars ?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »