Thread poster: GraceAlicia
GraceAlicia
GraceAlicia
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 28, 2017

I have been told I will be given a task as a test by a translation company which I am confused about.

I have been told that I will receive a PDF file with which I will need to make a transcription in word (format paragraphs, fonts, symbols) without using any kind of software or converter.

Could anybody please give me any suggestions as to how to approach this?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 13:34
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Why didn't you ask the client to clarify? Jun 28, 2017

Most probably the PDF file is of graphical type. If they need a PDF to be converted to Word, there are dozens of good converters (like Finereader), for example, so there is no need to waste your time on re-typing the document. But this is a guess only.

The best way is to ask the client to clarify the task - don't be afraid to ask as you need to know what exactly they need.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Maybe the test includes certain non-linguistic skills Jun 29, 2017

GraceAlicia wrote:

I have been told that I will receive a PDF file with which I will need to make a transcription in word (format paragraphs, fonts, symbols) without using any kind of software or converter.

If this is to be taken literally, the client wants to make sure that you are able to do that in a competent way. Otherwise there is no need to force you not to use a converter.

There are translators who are not able to do that. E. g. they don't know how style sheets work, they use the space bar for indentations, the don't know the difference between paragraph and line breaks and so on. Such translators are unsuitable for certain tasks.

BUT: Did you understand the client correctly?

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Locking the thread Jun 30, 2017

as it is a duplicate of http://www.proz.com/topic/316316

In the future, please post only once.

Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF to word as a transcription

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »