Thread poster: mcesar
Idalia Martin
Idalia Martin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
Van Jong is a scammer Dec 18, 2015

About the same date, I got the same email with the same 2 documents!

I got excited because I thought I was starting to get requests after I recently posted that I am now certified. Then I remembered that I went through something similar about 5 years ago, so I didn't fall for it. I looked him up. He kept emailing asking if I had deposited the check (from someone else's account in another city).

They make me so mad!

I emailed him back simply stating "SCAMMER
... See more
About the same date, I got the same email with the same 2 documents!

I got excited because I thought I was starting to get requests after I recently posted that I am now certified. Then I remembered that I went through something similar about 5 years ago, so I didn't fall for it. I looked him up. He kept emailing asking if I had deposited the check (from someone else's account in another city).

They make me so mad!

I emailed him back simply stating "SCAMMER!!!!". He immediately replied with only "Alright."
Collapse

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:38
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
See here: Dec 19, 2015

date: Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM
subject: Work

ATTN: I am looking to hire a translator,One who is able to proof-read well and translate documents in Source Language {English} to Target Language {Italian}
Please do inform me as to your availability for this job as well as the figures you charge for your services per source word,As the timeline for job completion is slated for the 2nd of July 2015.
Thanks

Anthony M
... See more

date: Mon, Apr 27, 2015 at 12:40 PM
subject: Work

ATTN: I am looking to hire a translator,One who is able to proof-read well and translate documents in Source Language {English} to Target Language {Italian}
Please do inform me as to your availability for this job as well as the figures you charge for your services per source word,As the timeline for job completion is slated for the 2nd of July 2015.
Thanks

Anthony Muller
7290 Beverly Boulevard
Los Angeles California 90036

[Edited at 2015-12-19 05:59 GMT]
Collapse

Sae H
Sae H  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 06:38
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jack Boulden Oct 29, 2016

I am so glad I found the comments here.

This scammer also uses the name Jack Boulden.
Exactly the same story as everyone reported.

Check was sent from 4301 Spruce Ave. Los Angeles CA.
He texted me from 631-913-8875 to urge me deposit the check.
His mentioned this email address in the email: 295 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10017 USA

The translation documents I received from him:
Conflict Management {Health}
Healthcare Entrepren
... See more
I am so glad I found the comments here.

This scammer also uses the name Jack Boulden.
Exactly the same story as everyone reported.

Check was sent from 4301 Spruce Ave. Los Angeles CA.
He texted me from 631-913-8875 to urge me deposit the check.
His mentioned this email address in the email: 295 Madison Avenue New York, NY 10017 USA

The translation documents I received from him:
Conflict Management {Health}
Healthcare Entrepreneurship,Marketing and CSR.

I wonder what the possible risk for me? Would he ask me to send the money back before the check is cleared?
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Do NOT deposit the check! Oct 29, 2016

As long as you do nothing with the check, you will be OK. He will hound you for the money to be returned via Western Union or some similar agency, but you can ignore him. You can give it to the police if you wish, but they in all likelihood not pursue the matter.

Marina Recalde
Marina Recalde
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got scammed by this telephone number Nov 30, 2016

A man named James Laadzar contacted me to translate two documents. He sent me a check for the full amount. The checked was mailed through UPS but the sender had a different name. The check was issued by Home Savings Bank in OH. It was a bank check so it didn't have his name on it. I called the bank and they confirmed the account was legit and had funds. After I deposited the check, he told me the translation of one of the documents was cancelled, so he requested money back. I called my bank imme... See more
A man named James Laadzar contacted me to translate two documents. He sent me a check for the full amount. The checked was mailed through UPS but the sender had a different name. The check was issued by Home Savings Bank in OH. It was a bank check so it didn't have his name on it. I called the bank and they confirmed the account was legit and had funds. After I deposited the check, he told me the translation of one of the documents was cancelled, so he requested money back. I called my bank immediately and we put a hold on processing payment on that check so that the money wouldn't enter my account. I also alerted Home Savings Bank. He texted me several times and I didn't respond.

I looked up his number online and I found this thread, which was super useful. I hope this recent experience also helps other people.

Thanks,
M.
Collapse

Shizuka Matsunaga
Shizuka Matsunaga  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Same scammer, different name Jan 21, 2019

This scammer also sends out an Email as David Wien.
He uses the same phone number as other's mentioned: 631.913.8875.

Email: [email protected]

Documents sent
-Agricultural Entrepreneurship
-Risk Management in Finance, Insurance and Control
They are copied from publicly published article or a website.

Mailing address
1130 Pegasus St, Dallas, TX 75238
... See more
This scammer also sends out an Email as David Wien.
He uses the same phone number as other's mentioned: 631.913.8875.

Email: [email protected]

Documents sent
-Agricultural Entrepreneurship
-Risk Management in Finance, Insurance and Control
They are copied from publicly published article or a website.

Mailing address
1130 Pegasus St, Dallas, TX 75238

I am E to J translator and he first requested translation into Vietnamese. Lol.
He would be very vague about the project, how he found you, and his identity until you demand the information.
As always, he would offer you payment in advance.
Collapse

Aparna Nayak
Aparna Nayak
United States
French to English
+ ...
Two requests in two days Dec 28, 2020

I got the same request on two consecutive days, with a document about Conflict Resolution (about 44 pages / 10,500+ words). The senders were [email protected] and [email protected] -- thank you for posting this.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Possible Translation Scam from a David Klopp

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »