Pasting in multiple segments at once. Is this possible in Trados?
Thread poster: javierxp
javierxp
javierxp
Spain
Jun 7, 2017

In Word I can paste several lines of text... inside a table, at once.
For example... let's imagine I have the following text (it is not inside a table)

Banana
Strawberry
Apple
Grape

Now I copy that text, selecting it and pressing Ctrl + C

Now I create a table of 1 column and 4 rows

Okay, now I select the 4 rows in that table...

Now I press Ctrl + V

All the the 4 lines of text, enter, automatical
... See more
In Word I can paste several lines of text... inside a table, at once.
For example... let's imagine I have the following text (it is not inside a table)

Banana
Strawberry
Apple
Grape

Now I copy that text, selecting it and pressing Ctrl + C

Now I create a table of 1 column and 4 rows

Okay, now I select the 4 rows in that table...

Now I press Ctrl + V

All the the 4 lines of text, enter, automatically in every row of the table...
Every carriage return imply to add text in a new row of the table, so in an intelligent way add all the text perfectly.

That feature is very intelligent and very nice, because when you have a lot of text outside a table, and you want to put it inside a table, in Word is extremely easy.

I was wondering if I could do the same in Trados?

Could I copy those 4 lines of text Banana, Strawberry, Apple, Grape and put it in 4 rows in the target column in Trados?

Cheers
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 02:31
English to Russian
Yes Jun 7, 2017

Of course, you can. Just export your text for review. You can save it as Word. From this point you can do whatever you want as with MS Word.

[Edited at 2017-06-07 22:16 GMT]

javierxp
javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
I did not say that... Jun 7, 2017

Hello, sorry I did not say that. You do not have understood what I have said.

What I want is open the block pad, Word, LibreOffice, WordPerfect or any word processor you want can have in mind.
Then, I want to copy a simple list of text

Banana
Apple
Grape
Strawberry

You select it, and you copy it with Ctrl + C

And now in trados, I want to paste what I have copied with Ctrl + V
But I want Banana be in the first row i
... See more
Hello, sorry I did not say that. You do not have understood what I have said.

What I want is open the block pad, Word, LibreOffice, WordPerfect or any word processor you want can have in mind.
Then, I want to copy a simple list of text

Banana
Apple
Grape
Strawberry

You select it, and you copy it with Ctrl + C

And now in trados, I want to paste what I have copied with Ctrl + V
But I want Banana be in the first row in Trados, Apple be in the second row in trados, Grape be in the third row in Trados and Strawberry be in the four row in Trados...

I did not say anywhing about exporting to word I am sorry. I am talking about copying text to the clipboard, and then, pasting it into trados, in separate rows.
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:31
English to Thai
+ ...
Legacy of SDLX Jun 8, 2017

javierxp wrote:

All the the 4 lines of text, enter, automatically in every row of the table...
Every carriage return imply to add text in a new row of the table, so in an intelligent way add all the text perfectly.

That feature is very intelligent and very nice, because when you have a lot of text outside a table, and you want to put it inside a table, in Word is extremely easy.

I was wondering if I could do the same in Trados?

Could I copy those 4 lines of text Banana, Strawberry, Apple, Grape and put it in 4 rows in the target column in Trados?

Cheers

I badly need this function but never met until the latest Trados version.
I go back by creating the bilingual file in SDLX [sold by Trados since 2007] and open with Trados studio. In Trados or SDLX, I can copy and paste multiple rows (lines) at one instance [and provide extra time for formatting/tag issues].
I also use SDLX along with excellent function of MS Word to copy and paste for urgent or large volume jobs.
Why not try with this?

Soonthon L.

javierxp
javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
the cool thing would be SDL Trados allow this function Jun 9, 2017

SDXL is a very old product... I guess before SDL acquired TRADOS as a company. I do not have SDXL installed in my computer.
Sadly, SDL Trados Studio 2017 is very rigid and do not allow to paste information in multiple segments in the target column... unless someone from SDL tell us how?

I am wondering if could be possible to post a Whislist for SDL Trados 2018 ?
Is this possible here in the forum? do we have an official thread?

Cheers

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 00:31
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
You received a perfect advice Jun 9, 2017

Export your text for review, do whatever you want in Word and then import back to Studio.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
SDL Community ideas Jun 9, 2017

javierxp wrote:

I am wondering if could be possible to post a Whislist for SDL Trados 2018 ?
Is this possible here in the forum? do we have an official thread?

The SDL Community is now the best place to ask questions because you get responses from fellow translators and SDL staff.
You simply have to register for free.
It has an Ideas section, which is what you're looking for:
https://community.sdl.com/solutions/language/translationproductivity/translation-productivity-ideas/i/trados-studio-ideas

Balvir Chand
Balvir Chand
India
English to Punjabi
+ ...
I need this feature badly. Aug 17, 2017

Unfortunately, till Trados 2017 we don't have this feature. I wish that SDL will bring this feature in SDL Trados 2018. It can save hours of time. So much of unusual lengthy work can be done just within minutes.

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Afraid you will have to wait a long time .... Aug 17, 2017

Balvir Jaidka wrote:
Unfortunately, till Trados 2017 we don't have this feature. I wish that SDL will bring this feature in SDL Trados 2018. It can save hours of time. So much of unusual lengthy work can be done just within minutes.

If you check the version numbers of Studio, you will see that it comes every other year, so there won't be any 2018 version of Studio.

I can see a problem with what you want. At times one cell has multiple lines, which means you would want to copy your multiple lines into the same cell. At other times you may want to copy each individual line into separate cells. I am not certain how you expect this to be solved. If your problem is solved, it may create problems for others.

I will maintain, like others, that the best way of solve this would be to do the operation in Word. Exporting an external view doesn't take a lot of time, so this should not take you much more time than doing it directly in Studio. And SDL doesn't risk introducing problems for other users that they don't experience today.

Roy

javierxp
javierxp
Spain
TOPIC STARTER
The feautre is being studied by SDL and only receive positive votes Aug 18, 2017

Balvir Jaidka wrote:

I've opened the thread and don't worry, because I suggested the feature already to SDL and they are studying it. I don't know if we would have Trados 2018 or 2019, but I guess they are happy with the idea because I only receive positive votes in the Trados forum.

I respect all opinions and ideas, but please, allow me to be concise and categorical at this point with the people that don't understand well how this works. Clear and Easy: This feature do not cause any kind of problems.

Some people don't understand how could be posible that... if we have a list, we can copy the list into separate segments. Very easy, because every carriage return, tells to Trados to place the text into a separate segment. Is this new? NO. Microsoft Word works in the same way.

Why is this feature useful? To translate and process big products lists. Many translators use external editors, like Word, Systran, etc., and they translate some segments outside Trados. Then, you want to copy from the external editor into Trados and we have the problem, we cannot copy a bunch of text inside several segments, at once.

AliExpress translators know perfectly what am I talking about, because they have to copy and paste many features and product names, in big lists, and that cannot be translated.

HOW THE FEATURE WORKS (and I have explained this already, but let's try again).
Example of how this Works. We have a public domain book here, three paragraphs, and we copy the three paragraphs with Control + C

You must notice the part towards the east made round, and the stones which are "very strong and hard," with the main tower and the two smaller towers at the side. And notice too the figure of a man, who is standing on the roof of the Palace, and holding with one hand the weathercock on the east end of the Abbey. - Carriage return -

May be the worker only sought to show the buildings of the Abbey and the Palace standing side by side, but all unconsciously that unknown hand prophesied what should be throughout the centuries to come, and told how Church and State should stand firmly linked together. - Carriage return -

The members of the Witan had not departed to their homes on the conclusion of the festivities connected with Christmastide and the consecration of the Abbey. They knew the king was dying fast, and that before many days a great duty would rest on them. Rumours may have reached their ears that William of Normandy, cousin to Edward, meant to lay claim to the throne on his death, declaring that the king had promised to make him his heir, and that Harold himself had vowed to support him. But the sturdy Englishmen who formed that council were resolved that never with their consent should a Norman rule over them, and Edward knew full well the man of their choice when he pointed to Harold as their future king. There was an heir to the throne by right of birth, Edgar the Atheling. Still he lived far away unknown to them all, and the days had not yet come when men succeeded to the throne by right of birth alone. On the spot was Harold, the man they loved and trusted, "the shield of the kingdom, the shelter of the oppressed, the judge of the fatherless and the widow." - Carriage return -

When we copy this information, the CLIPBOARD in the PC knows every paragraph (when it starts and when it ends - Carriage return -)

As son we paste the information by pressing Control + V

Microsoft Word analyze the clipboard and detect the - Carriage return -, so Microsoft Word says... hey, this go to the row 1
Now Next paragraph...
Microsoft Word analyze the clipboard and detect the - Carriage return -, so Microsoft Word says... hey, this go to the row 2
Now Next paragraph...
Microsoft Word analyze the clipboard and detect the - Carriage return -, so Microsoft Word says... hey, this go to the row 3

So every time Microsoft Word finds a - Carriage return - knows perfectly it is the end of the paragraph and it has to be in a row of the table.

Trados can do the same.

Everytime it detects a carriage return knows perfectly that paragraph has to go to the segment 1, next - Carriage return - segment 2, - Carriage return -, segment 3, and so on.

Problems? Where? Zero. No problems. This solution is working perfectly since many years ago and it is present in Microsoft Word. If it is working in Word, it can work fine in Trados.

The problem is not understanding well how this feature Works, but for what I have explained it's quite easy.

[Edited at 2017-08-18 00:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2017-08-18 00:11 GMT]

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Just one problem ... Aug 18, 2017

javierxp wrote:
HOW THE FEATURE WORKS (and I have explained this already, but let's try again).
Example of how this Works. We have a public domain book here, three paragraphs, and we copy the three paragraphs with Control + C
When we copy this information, the CLIPBOARD in the PC knows every paragraph (when it starts and when it ends - Carriage return -)
As son we paste the information by pressing Control + V
Microsoft Word analyze the clipboard and detect the - Carriage return -, so Microsoft Word says... hey, this go to the row 1
Now Next paragraph...
So every time Microsoft Word finds a - Carriage return - knows perfectly it is the end of the paragraph and it has to be in a row of the table.
Trados can do the same.

Sorry, I see a problem, so the solution doesn't seem quite as easy as you indicate.

For one thing: Word and Excel are not even compatible. I hate it when contents in one table cell in Word is split over multiple cells in Excel for instance, which actually happens a lot of times, probably because Excel understands line breaks as a signal to have what follows in a new cell.

So for this to really work, it would have to work as follows:

If source has the whole bullet list in one cell, then the target bullet list should go into the corresponding target cell

If source has the bullet list spread over multiple cells (which would be the way I would prefer it, but regretably is not the case in quite a few translation jobs I do), then I want the target bullet list to be spread over the corresponding multiple target cells too.

In addition, I would not want a whole paragraph made up of multiple sentences going into one and the same cell, the way you indicate you would like it to work. Instead one paragraph should be split into it component segments and spread over multiple cells to give better hits from the TM.

Roy

[Edited at 2017-08-18 06:21 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pasting in multiple segments at once. Is this possible in Trados?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »