Desktop search program compatible with IntelliWebSearch.
Thread poster: Reed James
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 14:29
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
Jun 3, 2016

Hello.

Is there a desktop search program compatible with IntelliWebSearch? This would mean that the program would have to grab any text from any window and then paste it into the search box and subsequently perform the search. This would be great, because I hate running separate programs with separate searches. Thanks for your help.

Reed

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 13:29
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Copernic Jun 4, 2016

Not sure if it just meets what you're looking for but I used to use Copernic Search Agent.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 18:29
English to German
Unclear question ... Jun 4, 2016

Reed James wrote:

Hello.

Is there a desktop search program compatible with IntelliWebSearch? This would mean that the program would have to grab any text from any window and then paste it into the search box and subsequently perform the search.

What means "compatible with IWS"? Does "THE search box" refer to IWS or to the software you are looking for? What is "desktop search"?

Anyway, you may look look at my profile.

Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 14:29
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
What I mean is... Jun 5, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

What means "compatible with IWS"? Does "THE search box" refer to IWS or to the software you are looking for? What is "desktop search"?

Anyway, you may look look at my profile.

Hi Rolf,

1. Desktop search programs include Copernic, Archivarius and Gaviri. Of course there are others and not all display the actual text within the files but rather the file name only. I need an app that displays the term I seek as well as its context.

2. I want to know if one of the above dt search apps or another one I did not mention has a hotkey that: 1. copies the text in any window that I select and 2. automatically sends that text to the desktop search x app and 3. automatically hits enter for me, thus returning my desired search.

3. Now comes the IntelliWebSearch part. As you may know, if you select text and then press ctl+alt+b, your selected term or phrase will be whisked to the IWS search box. From there you can query 1 site/program on your computer, any desired number (including all but your computer may freeze if you make that selection) or a group you have configured such as English Only. So then your search term, let's call it help, would be sent to a selection including the dts app and bingo! The dts x window pops up and you have a gazillion hits including the word help.

A variation, which I find extremely handy is to assign a hotkey to the English Only group that includes dts x, let's say ctrl+shift+x. So then you would select text in your cat tool or word, etc., press ctrl+shift+x and be taken straight to the dts x search results along with wikipedia or whatever else is included in that search group, bypassing IWS.

4. Thank you for directing me to your profile page, Rolf. I have failed twice at using Multifultor and have thus uninstalled it from my computer. I feel that it must work very well for those who know how to use it. But I cant tell you how frustrating it was for me to attempt to do anything with it. And that panel of buttons with 1 icon that does nothing when you click on it! I don't know if IWS is better than Multifultor, but after 5 minutes, when I discovered the full wizard, I immediately had a tool that worked and worked out well. Now allI have to do is iron out the kinks. Like I say, I'm sure your app is good if you can get it working successfully.

Reed

Michael Farrell
Michael Farrell  Identity Verified

Italian to English
dtSearch + IntelliWebSearch Jun 6, 2016

Reed James wrote:

Hello.

Is there a desktop search program compatible with IntelliWebSearch? This would mean that the program would have to grab any text from any window and then paste it into the search box and subsequently perform the search. This would be great, because I hate running separate programs with separate searches. Thanks for your help.

Reed

Afternoon Reed,
IntelliWebSearch can be set up to launch dtSearch. See this article for details:
http://steve-dyson.blogspot.it/2015/06/dtsearch-intelliwebsearch.html

Regards
Mike

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Multifultor has become Omni-Lookup Oct 16, 2016

Reed James wrote:

Multifultor (...) I feel that it must work very well for those who know how to use it. But I cant tell you how frustrating it was for me to attempt to do anything with it. And that panel of buttons with 1 icon that does nothing when you click on it!

Maybe you should have used the Manual button in the main window in the first place. As I'm no native speaker I wasn't aware of the fact that the inscription was unclear. In the meantime I've changed it to "User handbook".

Anyway Multifultor is dead, but its successor lives: www.omni-lookup.de (don't overlook the Multifultor button on the left sidebar)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop search program compatible with IntelliWebSearch.

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »