Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:14
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 7, 2017

G'day everyone

Can anyone recommend a QA tool that I can use to check my translation against a glossary? All I need right now is to check a bilingual text (format doesn't matter) against a glossary (source term + target term) to tell me which target terms are missing.

However, there is a small catch: I want the target text matching to be character based. In other words, if the glossary contains "pressure = druk", and my source is "blood pressure measurement" and the t
... See more
G'day everyone

Can anyone recommend a QA tool that I can use to check my translation against a glossary? All I need right now is to check a bilingual text (format doesn't matter) against a glossary (source term + target term) to tell me which target terms are missing.

However, there is a small catch: I want the target text matching to be character based. In other words, if the glossary contains "pressure = druk", and my source is "blood pressure measurement" and the target text is "bloeddrukmeting", then I want the QA tool to say "target term found", not "target term not found", and ideally highlight the target term so that I can see what the tool thinks it had found, so that I can quickly see if it's a false negative.

Does anyone know of such a tool?

My translation is a two-column table and my glossary is also a two-column table, both in plain text, but I can convert it.

Thanks
Samuel
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Verifika Jul 7, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

Verifika is capable of doing character-based target text matching, but it doesn't show me what the matches are, so I can't tell for certain if Verifika had matched an actual word or just a set of letters that happen to match the word.

Oscar Martin
Oscar Martin
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Xbench Jul 7, 2017

[Editat el 2017-07-07 14:52 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:14
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
That is possible in Xbench Jul 7, 2017

In Xbench you can do what you need by using a combination of power search and project checklists. Unfortunately, you cannot do that against a simple glossary: you need to create a checklist item for each single term.

The best way (AFAIK) to do that is to create the first entry (e.g. "pressure" in source and -"druk" in target with the power search activated), save that checklist, save the project in Xbench to a xbp file, then open the xbp file in a text editor, and replicate the ent
... See more
In Xbench you can do what you need by using a combination of power search and project checklists. Unfortunately, you cannot do that against a simple glossary: you need to create a checklist item for each single term.

The best way (AFAIK) to do that is to create the first entry (e.g. "pressure" in source and -"druk" in target with the power search activated), save that checklist, save the project in Xbench to a xbp file, then open the xbp file in a text editor, and replicate the entry for each of the terms you need to check.

...this is the summary version of the suggestion--I think I'll need to write a blog post (with appropriate screenshots) to illustrate how this can be done. I'll try to do that over the weekend.

EDIT
Actually... the above is not necessary in your case--Oscar is, of course, correct: you can just add your terms to a bilingual glossary in Xbench, and the program will find all segments that do not match the glossary entry, even when the target entry is within a word (so Xbench will find that "blood pressure measurement
" = "bloeddrukmeting" is correct, and will flag as incorrect any segments that have "pressure" in the source but not "druk" in the target)

[Edited at 2017-07-07 17:43 GMT]
Collapse

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
CafeTran? Jul 7, 2017

Perhaps in CafeTran, using a stemming setting for QA glossary?

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:14
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
No disrespect, but... Jul 7, 2017

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

However, there is a small catch: I want the target text matching to be character based. In other words, if the glossary contains "pressure = druk", and my source is "blood pressure measurement" and the target text is "bloeddrukmeting", then I want the QA tool to say "target term found", not "target term not found", and ideally highlight the target term so that I can see what the tool thinks it had found, so that I can quickly see if it's a false negative.

My translation is a two-column table and my glossary is also a two-column table, both in plain text, but I can convert it.

Thanks
Samuel

Apart from whether it's possible or how to do it, why would you want to?

Michael

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Because I hate sifting through 1000s of false positives Jul 8, 2017

Michael Joseph Wdowiak Beijer wrote:
Apart from whether it's possible or how to do it, why would you want to?

Because I hate sifting through thousands of false positives. Because I use my glossary mostly for QA. In the glossary are words like "blood" and "urine", so that I can see if a translator that went before me had neglected to change "blood sample" (bloedmonster) to "urine sample" (urienmonster) in a fuzzy match.

I'm not suggesting that QA should replace manual checking, but it's like using a spell-checker: it's an extra set of "eyes".

And the reason why I would like to see what match the QA tool thinks it had found, is because false positives go both ways. For example, if the glossary target term is "jou" (the Afrikaans for "your") and the segment's target text contains "kilojoule" (the Afrikaans for "kilojoule"), then it would be perfectly clear to me (during a quick visual check) that that is a false negative, if "jou" within "kilojoule" is highlighted.

CafeTran Training (X)
CafeTran Training (X)
Netherlands
Did you have a look at CafeTran? Jul 10, 2017

Hi Samuel,

Did you have a look at CafeTran, like I suggested?

Screen Shot 2017-07-10 at 09.56.25

Perhaps Prefix matching suits your needs, perhaps you need to use regular expressions. Perhaps it's already enough to leave the box Whole words unchecked.

[Edited at 2017-07-10 07:58 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QA tool for glossary checking, with character-based target text matching

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »