Larissa Ekonoja  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:32
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 14, 2005

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

Basically, all of my tags for my target text have disappeared and the target text has been merged with the original source text..

Basically I copied in part of the table of contents from another document (already translated) and after I did this, the portion that I copied in is simply all in blue (even without Wordfast running) and everything from there on in the document is missing tags.

Anyone ever heard of
... See more
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me.

Basically, all of my tags for my target text have disappeared and the target text has been merged with the original source text..

Basically I copied in part of the table of contents from another document (already translated) and after I did this, the portion that I copied in is simply all in blue (even without Wordfast running) and everything from there on in the document is missing tags.

Anyone ever heard of this?

I'm using the latest version of Wordfast.

Help
Collapse

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
You can try... Apr 14, 2005

You can try first to "undo" what you have done (the copy-paste). You can also select the text and choose another style in the Style drop-down menu in the Word toolbar.

If that still doesn't work... when this happened to me, I've always deleted that segment, copied-pasted the original text, and re-translated...

[Edited at 2005-04-14 08:54]

Larissa Ekonoja
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Too bad I can't undo.. Apr 14, 2005

Marie-Claude Falardeau wrote:

If that still doesn't work... when this happened to me, I've always deleted that segment, copied-pasted the original text, and re-translated...

[Edited at 2005-04-14 08:54]

I'm kind of terrified to do that again since it's sort of the reason the whole problem started (copied and pasted from another wordfast document).

I can't undo, for now i've resigned myself to using the TM to redo a lot of yesterday's work, but there's an entire chapter I didn't verify.

Maybe I accidently deleted a hidden tag or left an extra one in when I copied and pasted, but it's so strange that even showing hidden text that the Wordfast tags are gone. It's like Wordfast just deleted them...

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:32
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I have encountered the same problem Apr 14, 2005

Larissa Ekonoja wrote:

Anyone ever heard of this?

I'm using the latest version of Wordfast.

This is exactly the same problem I had 3 or 4 times during a recent project, and I would like to know how to avoid it.
All tags between source and target segment suddenly disappear.

I had to fix the file, or retranslate part of it, or the whole file from the TM, wasting time in both operations and under pressure for a tight deadline.

I'm using Wordfast 5.0n

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-04-14 09:25]

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Wrong pasting? Apr 14, 2005

Larissa, my guess is that you have pasted the text in the wrong place. (inside a tag?). If you cannot undo, you probably have to retranslate using the TM.

Dan

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
I was not copying or pasting parts of the document Apr 14, 2005

My previous posting is slightly incorrect, as I was not copying or pasting anything into the document. I was simply translating and... suddenly... from my cursor onwards all tags disappeared and my document was badly corrupted.

It was a normal, straight Word document. I had to stitch it with parts of the original, or restart from the original and retranslate from TM.

It has happened no fewer than 3-4 times on the same document, and every time without me noticing what w
... See more
My previous posting is slightly incorrect, as I was not copying or pasting anything into the document. I was simply translating and... suddenly... from my cursor onwards all tags disappeared and my document was badly corrupted.

It was a normal, straight Word document. I had to stitch it with parts of the original, or restart from the original and retranslate from TM.

It has happened no fewer than 3-4 times on the same document, and every time without me noticing what was causing the problem. I was simply typing a translation into a segment, as usual...

Nobody has ever experienced this problem?

Gianfranco
Collapse

Dan Marasescu
Dan Marasescu  Identity Verified
Romania
Member (2003)
English to Romanian
+ ...
GF Apr 14, 2005

Hi, Gianfranco. This may sound stupid, but what tags are you referring to? I thought you should only have tags for the segments already translated. Did you go back to modify a translated segment?

gianfranco
Brazil
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Editing previously translated segments Apr 14, 2005

Dan Marasescu wrote:

Hi, Gianfranco. This may sound stupid, but what tags are you referring to? I thought you should only have tags for the segments already translated. Did you go back to modify a translated segment?

Yes, it is possible that I was retouching segments previously translated, actually it is very frequent. During the first translation it is common to leave some words marked for future research or come back if I change my mind about a translation, or come back to edit a sentence to improve something, punctuaction, word order, or spelling.

In all these situation I would be editing segments which are followed by other segments already tagged and it should not cause problems.

Gianfranco

[Edited at 2005-04-14 09:55]

Larissa Ekonoja
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How to paste correctly? Apr 14, 2005

Hello Dan and all others who have been very helpful,

I did land up using the TM to redo the work.. thank goodness for TMs!

I'm quite new to using Wordfast and I'm not keen on messing up my documents every time. Can anyone tell me if there's a proper way to copy and paste from another Wordfast document, and what things to avoid? (Obviously copying and pasting without hidden tags on is a big no-no.. lesson of the day!)

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not sure what you mean... Apr 14, 2005

Hi Larissa,
Larissa Ekonoja wrote:

What exactly do you mean by tags? Which is the style of the tags (tw4winInternal or tw4winExternal, i.e., red or grey).
Was Revision mode active? That can really mess up things if you don't disable it before passing to the next segment. It adds segment markers all over the place and can mix up source and target (you'd see them joined if you are working with hidden text not visible; which is not advisable either).

Basically I copied in part of the table of contents from another document (already translated)

IMHO, this is another big 'no no'. You don't need to translate a TOC, you translate your document, when you finish you update the TOC and the translated text should appear in it.

HTH
Regards,
Grace.

Sandymount
Sandymount
France
English to French
+ ...
Handling Tags May 19, 2017

Hello, I was wondering is there a way to code, as it were, manually in WF Classic.
By "code" I mean manually writing, deleting, moving the tags generated automatically by WF in the segmentation process.
In the translation I am working on currently, the target part of the segment often has an opening tag, but no closing tag,
therefore WF doesn't "see" it as part of the segment. Being able to paste a closing tag where appropriate would spare a lot of time.
Thanks in
... See more
Hello, I was wondering is there a way to code, as it were, manually in WF Classic.
By "code" I mean manually writing, deleting, moving the tags generated automatically by WF in the segmentation process.
In the translation I am working on currently, the target part of the segment often has an opening tag, but no closing tag,
therefore WF doesn't "see" it as part of the segment. Being able to paste a closing tag where appropriate would spare a lot of time.
Thanks in advance for any hint.
Regards
Patrick
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

My Wordfast Tags are Missing

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »