Thread poster: Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:57
Member (2004)
English to French
Sep 9, 2020

A new situation happened to me: unending miles long T&C's. Sure, I've had to read and sign NDA's and T&C's with standard and usual clauses, but not like this.

Back in July, a translation agency contacted me. I checked their credentials on the Blue Board, they had a good reputation. I passed the short test and they agreed with my rate. So far so good. I thought I'd be expecting work soon. Nope. No such luck.

They sent me an 18 page long T&C's with questionable clauses, o
... See more
A new situation happened to me: unending miles long T&C's. Sure, I've had to read and sign NDA's and T&C's with standard and usual clauses, but not like this.

Back in July, a translation agency contacted me. I checked their credentials on the Blue Board, they had a good reputation. I passed the short test and they agreed with my rate. So far so good. I thought I'd be expecting work soon. Nope. No such luck.

They sent me an 18 page long T&C's with questionable clauses, one of which stated I'd have to pay them within a short period if they were not happy with my work. Also, I would have to learn to use all of their systems (there are literally dozens). And I haven't even had a single word to translate for their client yet.

I just told them I wouldn't be signing this, because I felt I had to jump through hoops to prove my 20+ years of experience with references, thus wasting my time and keeping me away from actual work. They should give the position to a junior translator eager to do anything to work (like I did over 20 years ago), but that won't be me. My time is valuable and best spent otherwise.
Collapse

Ying-Ju Fang
Philippe Etienne
Christopher Schröder
Eva Stoppa
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Philip Lees
Ivana Kahle

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:57
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Which company is it? Sep 10, 2020

Is it a large company with offices in New York, Barcelona and others?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:57
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Nina Sep 10, 2020

This client of yours reminded me of an American translation agency which first of all asked me if I was willing to do a short medical test. OK! No problem! After this was done and approved, asked for a photo (?), a signed NDA and a long list of other requirements and to top it all emailed me a so-called welcome pack having 34 pages for me to read, sign and return. Some companies seem driven mad by bureaucracy…

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:57
Member (2004)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Large... I think so Sep 10, 2020

It has offices all over the place. I'll send you the name in private, as I remember a proz rule forbids us to discuss them openly. That's what the BB is for.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Miles long T&C's

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »