Thread poster: Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale
Gregory Lassale  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:55
English to French
Oct 5, 2018

Hello,

Cafetran seems to stop taking any keyboard input when a character with accent is typed in the target segment. Has this been reported and is a fix being worked on?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Keyboard layout? Oct 5, 2018

Gregory Lassale wrote:

Hello,

Cafetran seems to stop taking any keyboard input when a character with accent is typed in the target segment. Has this been reported and is a fix being worked on?

You’re on Mac, right?

What keyboard layout are you using?

How do you insert the accented characters?

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Details Oct 5, 2018

Yes, sorry, I am on a Mac running the latest version of macOS and have a latest version of Cafetran installed. I use a QWERTY keyboard and use macOS’s built-in functionality to insert accented characters (hold letter key and choose specific accent from pop up).

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Still on macOS HS Oct 5, 2018

Gregory Lassale wrote:

Yes, sorry, I am on a Mac running the latest version of macOS and have a latest version of Cafetran installed. I use a QWERTY keyboard and use macOS’s built-in functionality to insert accented characters (hold letter key and choose specific accent from pop up).

Sorry, I'm still on macOS HS. Tested the input method you describe, with the keyboard layout PC International. No problems there.

However, several persons report problems caused by use of the AltGr key to insert accented letters and special letters like the German eszet, on macOS HS e.g., with the keyboard layout PC International.

Can you still use CafeTran Espresso 2019, e.g. by using an alternative way to insert accented letters?

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Will wait for fix Oct 5, 2018

I don’t know the keyboard shortcuts for accented characters but I will try to find a list. It’s rather inconvenient as I’m used to the built in functionality which is much quicker and efficient in my opinion. I’m hoping Cafetran will be tested on Mojave and its related bugs fixed ASAP.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Old-style Insertion Oct 6, 2018

https://www.bu.edu/geddes/files/2011/04/accents-mac.pdf

In this animation I'm demonstrating two ways to insert accents: on the first line I'm using the keyboard shortcuts (Alt+e, Alt+`, Alt+u) from the PDF mentioned above. On the second line I'm using the overstrike characters (AKA dead keys) from the US International PC keyboard:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.33.30

[Edited at 2018-10-06 08:36 GMT]

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Press and hold the corresponding key Oct 6, 2018

On a Mac, to type an accented or alternate version of a character, press and hold a key until its alternate characters appear.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201586

This should do the trick until the fix.

Jean

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Oct 6, 2018

Hans Lenting wrote:

https://www.bu.edu/geddes/files/2011/04/accents-mac.pdf

In this animation I'm demonstrating two ways to insert accents: on the first line I'm using the keyboard shortcuts (Alt+e, Alt+`, Alt+u) from the PDF mentioned above. On the second line I'm using the overstrike characters (AKA dead keys) from the US International PC keyboard:

Screen Shot 2018-10-06 at 10.33.30

[Edited at 2018-10-06 08:36 GMT]

Thanks. Tbh I think I'd rather add the accented characters in my exported files when proofreading using the Apple built-in functionality until it is fixed in Cafetran.

Gregory Lassale
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
bug Oct 6, 2018

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

On a Mac, to type an accented or alternate version of a character, press and hold a key until its alternate characters appear.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201586

This should do the trick until the fix.

Jean

That's the method that is causing the bug in the first place in Mojave.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
My bad Oct 6, 2018

Gregory Lassale wrote: That's the method that is causing the bug in the first place in Mojave.

My bad, I misread your post.

Does this also happen when you use the French keyboard language (AZERTY layout)?

It strikes me as suboptimal to systematically rely on long pressing vowels to insert accented characters, although I have seen people still write very quickly with this method. I hope the bug will be fixed, but it could be worthwhile to apply touch typing directly in one of the available French keyboard language variants (français/français numérique).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Bug for characters with accents?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »