Thread poster: FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Win10 Jan 3, 2016

BTW, is somebody using TML on Win8/Win10? Does it work? What's the error msg if not? I got one report of failure but no details. To get a chance to see the error message if it crashes out, start a console window and run the exe in that instead of just clicking the exe.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:55
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
I'm using it successfully on the latest Win 10 64-bit Jan 3, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

BTW, is somebody using TML on Win8/Win10? Does it work? What's the error msg if not? I got one report of failure but no details. To get a chance to see the error message if it crashes out, start a console window and run the exe in that instead of just clicking the exe.

No problems whatsoever.

Michael

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Jan 3, 2016

That's interesting. I thought as much, because I know you're on Win10.
I will look into that one bug report.
BTW what does the app look like? I mean the window graphics and such? Does it look out of place on Win10? It looks pretty native on Win7 but I'm guessing that might not be the case on Win10.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Looks good! Jan 4, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

That's interesting. I thought as much, because I know you're on Win10.
I will look into that one bug report.
BTW what does the app look like? I mean the window graphics and such? Does it look out of place on Win10? It looks pretty native on Win7 but I'm guessing that might not be the case on Win10.

PS: yet another feature request: the ability to filter on columns (src, trgt, source)!

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK Jan 4, 2016

That looks pretty decent.
That 4sec search looks really slow, but I'm guessing it came from your 30M+ db, in which case it's not too bad. Maybe FTS5 will make searches faster. I keep checking if it has trickled down to where I need it to be, but it will probably take a month or two.

What do you mean by filtering on colums? You can just enter a search term in the second search box and do it that way. Those searches are often reaaaaally slow, but they do work. I'm hoping
... See more
That 4sec search looks really slow, but I'm guessing it came from your 30M+ db, in which case it's not too bad. Maybe FTS5 will make searches faster. I keep checking if it has trickled down to where I need it to be, but it will probably take a month or two.

What do you mean by filtering on colums? You can just enter a search term in the second search box and do it that way. Those searches are often reaaaaally slow, but they do work. I'm hoping for improvement from fts5 on that front, or maybe I need to fiddle with my own code to get it to run more efficiently. Also, you can't enter a single negative search term. Again, maybe in FTS5 (unlikely).
I am considering adding a "jump to next" feature to the highlight box. Perhaps a filter button could also be added to the same box... it would mostly be a duplication of the dual search term searches, but it would be faster.
Collapse

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 04:55
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Another browser Jan 4, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
PS: yet another feature request: the ability to filter on columns (src, trgt, source)!

Andras wanted to create a fast and easy way to search/filter TMs, and he succeeded in it. I have no doubt he can add the requested options, but in the meantime, you could use another browser. For simple things, I use DB Browser for SQLite (formerly known as SQLiteBrowser), it's free, and cross-platform, so even people who still use Windows can benefit from it.

You'd still use the very same TMLookup database, but with a few more options.

Cheers,

Hans

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
this is what I mean Jan 4, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

What do you mean by filtering on columns? You can just enter a search term in the second search box and do it that way. Those searches are often reaaaaally slow, but they do work. I'm hoping for improvement from fts5 on that front, or maybe I need to fiddle with my own code to get it to run more efficiently. Also, you can't enter a single negative search term. Again, maybe in FTS5 (unlikely).
I am considering adding a "jump to next" feature to the highlight box. Perhaps a filter button could also be added to the same box... it would mostly be a duplication of the dual search term searches, but it would be faster.

I mean: sometimes I run a search, but would then like to be able to narrow down the results to only a particular TMX. If I could filter on the source column, I could achieve this.

It would also be cool to be able to filter on the source or target columns, just to have another way of viewing the results.

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
@Hans: Jan 4, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Andras wanted to create a fast and easy way to search/filter TMs, and he succeeded in it. I have no doubt he can add the requested options, but in the meantime, you could use another browser. For simple things, I use DB Browser for SQLite (formerly known as SQLiteBrowser), it's free, and cross-platform, so even people who still use Windows can benefit from it.

[image]

You'd still use the very same TMLookup database, but with a few more options.

Cheers,

Hans

Hans, please don't start the whole CafeTran thing on me here too. For those of you who don't know what I am talking about: for years, every single time I requested a feature from the CafeTran developer, Hans would say: "No, that is a silly request: it can also be done, it should be done, using some other little tool ×, because we don't want to bloat CT."

Anyway, I also have DB Browser for SQLite installed on my computer, and occasionally open up my huge TMLookup db in it (primarily to see if I can come up with a way to clean my db of its duplicates). However, I run dozens of searches in TMLookup every day, and quickly filtering on the source column would be a welcome additional feature. There's no way I'd want to open up my db in DB Browser for SQLite (which, by the way, is slow as molasses when it comes to operations across my entire database) every time for this.

And another thing: I don't "still" use Windows. I simply use it. I use it by choice. You couldn't get me to use OS X if you paid me. It just can't do all the stuff I want/need my work OS to do.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
you can Jan 4, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:

I mean: sometimes I run a search, but would then like to be able to narrow down the results to only a particular TMX. If I could filter on the source column, I could achieve this.

It would also be cool to be able to filter on the source or target columns, just to have another way of viewing the results.

Just switch one of the search boxes to seach the source field, and enter the name of the tmx. Leave your search term in the other box.
I sometimes do this myself when I want results from a specific TM source.
Like so:

As you can see from the screenshots, in this case the second "filtering" search ran very fast, probably because there are not that many segments in 31977L0535.

Re: the "just use DB Browser for SQLite", the my hope is that TMLookup is more convenient/powerful than a general purpose DB browser, at least for TM data and the types searches translators tend to do. It is precisely for that reason that I am actively working on adding features that make sense to me and at least one or two other users.

[Edited at 2016-01-04 17:00 GMT]

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Cool! Jan 4, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:

Just switch one of the search boxes to search the source field, and enter the name of the tmx. Leave your search term in the other box.
I sometimes do this myself when I want results from a specific TM source.

Thanks, that's great.

FarkasAndras
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
done Jan 4, 2016

I had a quick look at the code to see how easy it would be to add a filter option and then I got sucked in, so I ended up writing and troubleshooting it almost entirely.
This is pretty much all it takes (of course it took the best part of an hour to come up with this):

Not sure if I'll ship it as it doesn't add much compared to just using the search box and it clutters up the interface a bit. It does add fast regex support and reverse filtering on a single expression.

[Edited at 2016-01-04 18:43 GMT]

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Upgrades and Windows 10 Jan 4, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

I got one report of failure but no details.

Andras, look at 01. my problem was with TMX Maker in Windows 10.

This is for Czech and Polish user:

Adventní verze TMLookup

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2016-01/04/cs/00.html

Rozbalení souboru .gz, staženého z webu Opus

01 Adventní verze TMLookup
02 Windows 10
03 TMX EMEA z Opusu
04 TMLookup_1.5_win_fixed

Milan

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
DB Browser Jan 5, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
"No, that is a silly request: it can also be done, it should be done, using some other little tool ×, because we don't want to bloat CT."

Nope, because this isn't a silly request, which is why I said "...but in the meantime..." TMLookup shines in the case of large tables, but you need extra filtering if you end up with a result of 895 hits like in your screenshot. That's a useless, time-consuming result without additional filtering. And the "problem" has been solved already.

...DB Browser for SQLite (which, by the way, is slow as molasses

It is. I never used it for huge tables, but I tried today, and it's way too slow.

Cheers,

Hans (OS X forever)

Michael Beijer
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
895 hits is great Jan 5, 2016

Meta Arkadia wrote:

Michael Beijer wrote:
"No, that is a silly request: it can also be done, it should be done, using some other little tool ×, because we don't want to bloat CT."

Nope, because this isn't a silly request, which is why I said "...but in the meantime..." TMLookup shines in the case of large tables, but you need extra filtering if you end up with a result of 895 hits like in your screenshot. That's a useless, time-consuming result without additional filtering. And the "problem" has been solved already.

...DB Browser for SQLite (which, by the way, is slow as molasses

It is. I never used it for huge tables, but I tried today, and it's way too slow.

Cheers,

Hans (OS X forever)

Strange. I actually find those 895 hits in my screenshot very useful. It's far from "useless and time-consuming". In fact, that is exactly how I use TMLookup: if I can't think of a translation for a word when translating, I selected and press my TMLookup shortcut. The program immediately springs into action and shows me if the relevant term is present in my extremely large database consisting of TMXs. 895 hits is great, and just what I want in such a case.
However, sometimes, it would be useful to be able to filter on individual TMXs, and thus narrow down the results.

Michael

[Edited at 2016-01-05 11:06 GMT]

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Less than 900 hits Jan 5, 2016

Michael Beijer wrote:
895 hits is great, and just what I want in such a case.
However, sometimes, it would be useful to be able to filter on individual TMXs, and thus narrow down the results.

That's one thing, the other would be to repeatedly filter on things like "target language not like CONSUMER INTEREST" (don't know how to do this in TMLookup) to see alternatives. Can still be a lot of work, especially with 895 hits.

Cheers,

Hans

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TMLookup

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »