United Kingdom
Local time: 21:15
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
ha ha, you're right, of course May 14, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins? Neither. They are both terrible.

Get memoQ instead.

.... what is wrong with Trados Studio? Or is it a matter of taste? Some like "hutspot" and others like "zuurkool" (are 2 different meals). Is there a real difference? (except from taste?)

[Edited at 2016-05-13 22:44 GMT]

it's just a personal preference (although there are a number of things I think memoQ and CafeTran do a lot better than Studio)

I just like to complain, as often and as loudly as possible, mainly because I don't think it's healthy or doing our industry any good that SDL Studio is the market leading CAT tool while the company also offers translation services. it's never a good idea when your clients are also the vendors of the software you need to actually do your work.

MJWB

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 22:15
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
A matter of habituation. May 15, 2016

Robert Rietvelt wrote:

Michael J.W. Beijer wrote:

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins? Neither. They are both terrible.

Get memoQ instead.

.... what is wrong with Trados Studio? Or is it a matter of taste? Some like "hutspot" and others like "zuurkool" (are 2 different meals). Is there a real difference? (except from taste?)

[Edited at 2016-05-13 22:44 GMT]

I am just used to Trados, it's about getting used to a tool. I see it the same way as a toy. You play with a certain toy, learn about its dynamic, become one with it, get attached to it.

I do not know what other tools offer, but as long as Trados Studio performs well, I have no need to change it, and it does so far. The customer support is prompt as well, in case of any issues.

I cannot talk about other tools as I do not know what they do. Yes, I had Wordfast and some other tool free versions but never used them.

[Edited at 2016-05-15 09:34 GMT]

Paulette Romero
Paulette Romero  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 16:15
English to Spanish
+ ...
Starting with Fluency... May 16, 2016

I haven't been translating that long, only a few years, mostly assisting my father with translations he received since he isn't a native-English speaker. I've been getting my own work recently and started off with OmegaT but I spent the last 3 months researching CAT tools and just 2 days ago settled on Fluency Now. I got a coupon code so I only spent $70 on the yearly subscription. I haven't used it yet since I've only had it 2 days but hopefully I'll get some work in soon so I can start test r... See more
I haven't been translating that long, only a few years, mostly assisting my father with translations he received since he isn't a native-English speaker. I've been getting my own work recently and started off with OmegaT but I spent the last 3 months researching CAT tools and just 2 days ago settled on Fluency Now. I got a coupon code so I only spent $70 on the yearly subscription. I haven't used it yet since I've only had it 2 days but hopefully I'll get some work in soon so I can start test running it.

In my opinion Trados is just far too expensive for an amateur translator and Fluency has the ability to open Trados and Wordfast files which is the reason I ultimately chose it, not to mention the affordable price.

Perhaps in another month or so I'll come back with a review.
Collapse

A1 Translations
A1 Translations
United States
Fluency Now! Feb 6, 2018

Why Fluency Now? Because Fluency Now offers personalized, prompt, friendly assistance, and charges less than SDL Trados. I have been using Fluency and then Fluency Now (from Western Standard) for years. Whenever I have had an issue, I have received fast and effective support.

Most CAT tools seem to work in a similar manner, so why not choose the less expensive, more user friendly company?

If you have to work with others stuck with SDL Trados, Fluency Now is much more
... See more
Why Fluency Now? Because Fluency Now offers personalized, prompt, friendly assistance, and charges less than SDL Trados. I have been using Fluency and then Fluency Now (from Western Standard) for years. Whenever I have had an issue, I have received fast and effective support.

Most CAT tools seem to work in a similar manner, so why not choose the less expensive, more user friendly company?

If you have to work with others stuck with SDL Trados, Fluency Now is much more compatible with Trados files than Fluency was.

Additionally, by offering translation services, SDL Studio is competing with translators. They are our competition. Why should we help them with our money?

Fluency Now is not offering translation services, just services to translators. I'm glad I chose Fluency Now.
Collapse

George Kihanda
George Kihanda
Tanzania
Local time: 00:15
Swahili to English
+ ...
My Experience With Fluency Now May 28, 2018

Hi Greg,

My experience with Fluency Now has been excellent since the first day I tried the software. With Fluency Now I can now translate thousands of words within a short period of time. Fluency Now is much easier to use and very straight forward. The best part of it is that I can see and manage both source and target text. Dealing with tags is mush easier with its quality assurance feature.

My question is: Will the track changes appear as they are in another CAT Tool
... See more
Hi Greg,

My experience with Fluency Now has been excellent since the first day I tried the software. With Fluency Now I can now translate thousands of words within a short period of time. Fluency Now is much easier to use and very straight forward. The best part of it is that I can see and manage both source and target text. Dealing with tags is mush easier with its quality assurance feature.

My question is: Will the track changes appear as they are in another CAT Tool? for example in SDL Trados?

Best regards,

George Mwidima Kihanda
Swahili Linguist.

[Edited at 2018-05-29 05:28 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fluency Now vs SDL Trados: which wins?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »