Kirill Rodionov
Kirill Rodionov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:16
German to Russian
+ ...
Feb 8, 2021

Hi everybody,
My client asked me about translation in QUICKSILVER software (something like Photoshop or InDesign).
https://broadvision.com/products/quicksilver/quicksilver-overview/
Format: .ildoc
They made user manual in this software and then save as PDF.
I wanted to try to open the file they sent, but I can't download this software.
... See more
Hi everybody,
My client asked me about translation in QUICKSILVER software (something like Photoshop or InDesign).
https://broadvision.com/products/quicksilver/quicksilver-overview/
Format: .ildoc

The support has just answered that they don't have a demo version and they don't sell the software to new customers any longer.

Does anybody know what can I do in this situation?
Is there any other software?
Probably somebody can share this app with me?
I will reimburse the expenses, rent it, so to speak.

Thank you in advance.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:16
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kirill Feb 8, 2021

Kirill Rodionov wrote:

I'm afraid that even if you to get a CAT tool or filter or something that claims to be able to translate this, you'd still be taking a risk that the client won't be able to import your work (e.g. if their version is different from the version that the filter was designed for). So the unfortunate new for you and your client is that you're going to have to extract the text from the PDF somehow, and then return the translation in a two-column Word file, and then the client will have to copy/paste your translation into QuickSilver manually, and produce a PDF file for you to double-check. Trados typically does a good job of converting a PDF.

Kirill Rodionov

Kirill Rodionov
United States
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Ctrl+С, ctrl+V Feb 8, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Kirill Rodionov wrote:

I'm afraid that even if you to get a CAT tool or filter or something that claims to be able to translate this, you'd still be taking a risk that the client won't be able to import your work (e.g. if their version is different from the version that the filter was designed for). So the unfortunate new for you and your client is that you're going to have to extract the text from the PDF somehow, and then return the translation in a two-column Word file, and then the client will have to copy/paste your translation into QuickSilver manually, and produce a PDF file for you to double-check. Trados typically does a good job of converting a PDF.

They don't want to make copy&paste work.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Almost certainly no choice... Feb 8, 2021

Kirill Rodionov wrote:

Sadly, because of their lack of foresight, they may not have any choice!
BUT... if they still have access to the original software + file, they might be able to EXPORT the content from the .ildoc file (i.e. before sending to .PDF), in which case you could translate this and then they could import it again — this is what I normally do with InDesign files.
Alternatively, but again, if they have access to the original file + software, you might be able to do a PDF > DOC conversion, then deliver them a 'bulk text' file which they could then import into Q/S.
Otherwise, trying to edit the PDF file is likely to be a huge headache — look at it this way: it would be cheaper for them to pay a secretary to do the painstaking copy/paste work than it would be for them to pay you at your translator's rate; and this is an extra service that you should not be including for free!
Sometimes in this sort of situation, I "subcontract" the secretarial work out to a trusted colleague and then just bill their fee as an add-on.

Kirill Rodionov

Kirill Rodionov
United States
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Tnx Feb 8, 2021

Tony M wrote:

Kirill Rodionov wrote:

Sadly, because of their lack of foresight, they may not have any choice!
BUT... if they still have access to the original software + file, they might be able to EXPORT the content from the .ildoc file (i.e. before sending to .PDF), in which case you could translate this and then they could import it again — this is what I normally do with InDesign files.
Alternatively, but again, if they have access to the original file + software, you might be able to do a PDF > DOC conversion, then deliver them a 'bulk text' file which they could then import into Q/S.
Otherwise, trying to edit the PDF file is likely to be a huge headache — look at it this way: it would be cheaper for them to pay a secretary to do the painstaking copy/paste work than it would be for them to pay you at your translator's rate; and this is an extra service that you should not be including for free!
Sometimes in this sort of situation, I "subcontract" the secretarial work out to a trusted colleague and then just bill their fee as an add-on.

Agree. I'll keep it on mind.

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 05:16
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Transit NXT could process the .ildoc file Feb 8, 2021

According to page 129 in the Issue 2009-11 of their manual:

"Preparing files for import
You must carry out a number of preparatory steps before importing certain file types:
■ FrameMaker – save FrameMaker files to MIF format.
Quicksilver (Interleaf) – save Interleaf files as ASCII files using the file extensions
doc or ildoc
"

See
... See more

You must carry out a number of preparatory steps before importing certain file types:
Quicksilver (Interleaf) – save Interleaf files as ASCII files using the file extensions
doc or ildoc
"

See https://www.star-uk.co.uk/products/transit-nxt/
Collapse

Kirill Rodionov
United States
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ildoc Feb 8, 2021

Jorge Payan wrote:

doc or ildoc
"

That's right. When the client save it as ASCII I get the ildoc file.

ru free

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Very expensive Feb 8, 2021

Jorge Payan wrote:

doc or ildoc
"

Their filter is quite expensive. Really expensive.

Jorge Payan

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kirill Feb 8, 2021

I keep hearing that these are ASCII files. If so, why can't you just translate it directly? Or is it not sufficiently clear what parts must and what parts must not be translated?

Kirill Rodionov
United States
German to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ildoc Feb 8, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

I keep hearing that these are ASCII files. If so, why can't you just translate it directly? Or is it not sufficiently clear what parts must and what parts must not be translated?

No. I the source file is an .ildoc file.
When I try to open it in any CAT tool, there is an error Unsupported file
Hans Lenting and other translators advice me to convert it to ASCII. But anyway it doesn’t work.

Which program can you advice for translate it directly?

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Kirill Feb 8, 2021

Kirill Rodionov wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
I keep hearing that these are ASCII files.

No. I the source file is an .ildoc file.

ILDOC is just the file extension. It's not related to whether it is an ASCII file or not.

When I try to open it in any CAT tool, there is an error Unsupported file.

That is because most CAT tools use the file extension to determine if they support the file or not.

Hans Lenting and other translators advice me to convert it to ASCII.

Well, if the ILDOC file isn't an ASCII file already, then there is no way that you can convert it to one. Or perhaps the QuickSilver program offers multiple ways of exporting the text, and one of those ways may include something that you can translate in a CAT tool. But as you can see, it's a bit limiting if we don't have the program itself.

Jorge Payan
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
S-tagger used to do the trick in the old days... Feb 9, 2021

... and it is included with Studio 2019 and earlier versions. It will convert the ildoc file (which is a text file) to stf file and then to ttx, which can be handled with Studio.

[Edited at 2021-02-10 00:37 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Feb 9, 2021

Jorge Payan wrote:
It will convert the ILDOC file (which is a text file) to stf file and then to ttx, which can be handled with Studio.

Are you sure the ILDOC file is a text file, and that it can be easily tagged? I've seen a sample ILDOC file that was saved as "ASCII" using QuickSilver's Save As dialog, but it's a binary file. I have no idea what they call it "ASCII", except that the file appears to be a 7-bit file.

Jorge Payan
Colombia
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
@Samuel Feb 10, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Are you sure the ILDOC file is a text file, and that it can be easily tagged? I've seen a sample ILDOC file that was saved as "ASCII" using QuickSilver's Save As dialog, but it's a binary file. I have no idea what they call it "ASCII", except that the file appears to be a 7-bit file.

You are right:.ildoc is not a text file. However, as in the case of Framemaker mif files, the idea behind using S-Tagger is to generate the stf file, which is tagged text that can be converted to ttx or translated even using Word.

I used that approach (mif->st->ttx) in the past with Trados 2007. I am well conscious that now there is a filetype available for processing mif files directly in Studio. But for .ildoc one have to bite the bullet and try another approach.

I have heard that round-trip .ildoc or .mif conversions using the Studio S-Tagger are not 100% successful, and I consequently would recommend using the Trados 2007 S-Tagger.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Jorge Feb 10, 2021

Jorge Payan wrote:
You are right:.ildoc is not a text file. However, as in the case of Framemaker mif files, the idea behind using S-Tagger is to generate the stf file, which is tagged text that can be converted to ttx or translated even using Word.

Aah, okay. Well, I do have SDL Trados S-Tagger for Interleaf 8.0 on my computer (that came with Trados 2007), but when I tried it with a recent sample ILDOC file, it says that it is not a valid Interleaf file -- which could mean that the file is indeed not a valid Interleaf file, but more probably simply means that S-Tagger was made for an older version of Interleaf.

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuickSilver .ildoc file

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »