What kind of regime for a literary translator in England?
Thread poster: Isabelle Meschi
Isabelle Meschi
Isabelle Meschi  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:22
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
Nov 18, 2018

Hi everybody,

I am a French freelance translator. I lived in London for some months and went back to France. Now, I am torn between two choices. Staying in France or moving again to London and registering as a self-employed translator. Of course, I am also taking the Brexit uncertainty into account and it's not easy to make a choice.

However, here is my question: I also work as a literary translator for a French publishing house and as such, I am also affiliated to the
... See more
Hi everybody,

I am a French freelance translator. I lived in London for some months and went back to France. Now, I am torn between two choices. Staying in France or moving again to London and registering as a self-employed translator. Of course, I am also taking the Brexit uncertainty into account and it's not easy to make a choice.

However, here is my question: I also work as a literary translator for a French publishing house and as such, I am also affiliated to the Agessa, the French social security for artists and authors. If I move to England, does someone know if there will be a special organisation to which I will be affiliated for my literary translations? Or will they be taken into account in my global self-employed regime?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Isabelle
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Registration for tax purposes Nov 18, 2018

so far as Brexit is concerned, nobody (including the British government) knows what is going to happen.

In the meantime you might find this useful:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dual-residents-hs302-self-assessment-helpsheet

As you can see, it's complicated but possible, and it would enable you to
... See more
so far as Brexit is concerned, nobody (including the British government) knows what is going to happen.

In the meantime you might find this useful:

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dual-residents-hs302-self-assessment-helpsheet

As you can see, it's complicated but possible, and it would enable you to remain as a contributor to Agessa and continue to receive payment from the French publishing house.

It would also permit you to register as a freelance translator in the UK.

However to get the correct up-to-date information I would strongly advise you to consult an accountant in the UK. A very small firm with the personal touch, based in the locality where you live, would be better than one of those big, expensive accountancy firms.

If you want my personal opinion about Brexit, I don't think it's ever going to happen because it's proving to be technically impossible.

[Edited at 2018-11-19 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Axelle H.
Emma Page

Axelle H.
Axelle H.  Identity Verified
France
English to French
It depends .. Nov 19, 2018

Hi Isabelle,

I am french and spending my time between UK and France (lucky enough to have a home in 2 countries).

It really depends where you will spend most of your time.

I will continue in French, more easy to explain

Pour ma part, je suis enregistrée en ltd en Angleterre (mon mari est anglais et travaille ici, au Royaume-Uni). Afin de respecter la legislation, nous devons fair
... See more
Hi Isabelle,

I am french and spending my time between UK and France (lucky enough to have a home in 2 countries).

It really depends where you will spend most of your time.

I will continue in French, more easy to explain

Pour ma part, je suis enregistrée en ltd en Angleterre (mon mari est anglais et travaille ici, au Royaume-Uni). Afin de respecter la legislation, nous devons faire attention au nombre de jours passés en France ( pas plus de 183 de mémoire). Je bénéfécie des "avantages sociaux" anglais mais rien en France (je paie quand je vais chez le docteur, fair enough )

Après, la double taxation je ne savais même pas que cela existait.

Comme l'a souligné Tom, je te conseillerais d'attendre que les accords du Brexit soit entérinés avant de choisir. Pour l'instant, personne ne sait rien, attendons le 31 mars.

N'hésite pas à me contacter en MP pour plus d'infos persos,

[Edited at 2018-11-19 09:44 GMT]
Collapse

Isabelle Meschi
France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Nov 19, 2018

Hi Tom,

Thanks a lot for the link and your help. It seems complicated but I will have a proper look at the documents as soon as possible.

Do you know by any chance a good accountant in the London area?

As for Brexit, I hope you are right and I am crossing my fingers!

Thanks again and have a nice evening,

Isabelle

Isabelle Meschi
France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Nov 19, 2018

Merci Axelle !

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hélas Nov 19, 2018

Isabelle Meschi wrote:

-----
Do you know by any chance a good accountant in the London area?
----
Isabelle

Alas, I used to but I sent him so many translators that he asked me to stop !

However you might find it useful to search for one who has similar characteristics:

- one-person practice working from home;
- no more than a 10-minute bus journey from where you live;
- friendly and human;
- compendious knowledge of the UK Tax Code (the accountants' "Bible" as he calls it);
- informal at meetings;
- always available to respond to quick questions by email or telephone;
- not expensive.

To find an accountant like that I would go out walking along my local High Street, looking up at the windows above the shops, and at the nameplates on the doorways between shops (those doors we never notice). I would also look at the small ads in the local newspapers. And of course you can Google for accountants in your postcode area.

Choose one with whom you feel happy about entering into a long-term confidential relationship.

[Edited at 2018-11-19 20:02 GMT]

Isabelle Meschi
France
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Tom Nov 21, 2018

I understand, thanks a lot for your piece of advice. I'm not in the UK right now but next time I travel there, I will have a look in my borough. I hope to be able to find someone who ticks all the boxes!

Have a nice evening,

Isabelle

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What kind of regime for a literary translator in England?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »