Chinese to English Translation Qualifications for New Translators with Little Experience
Thread poster: Dickson Man
Dickson Man
Dickson Man
Local time: 03:05
Chinese to English
Mar 17, 2019

Hello all,

I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree that is not related to translation in Hong Kong, but I have been working as a contracted translator for a novel translation company for almost two years now. I am currently considering about taking a qualification exam for Chinese to English translation as it seems that having qualifications will give me a slight head start if I do pursue further in the career path of translation.

After a bit of online research, t
... See more
Hello all,

I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree that is not related to translation in Hong Kong, but I have been working as a contracted translator for a novel translation company for almost two years now. I am currently considering about taking a qualification exam for Chinese to English translation as it seems that having qualifications will give me a slight head start if I do pursue further in the career path of translation.

After a bit of online research, there does not seem to be any qualification tests for people like me. The ATA certification requires a translation-related degree or a few years of full-time translation work, while the DipTrans seems too far-fetched right now given that it is on the same level as a master’s degree. I have considered about taking the DipTrans in a year and have started some preparations, but I personally do not believe it is enough to pass the DipTrans exam. I am studying the notes I got from someone who completed a BA in Translation, as well as translating articles online that have both Chinese and English versions then comparing mine to theirs.

As I am currently studying a bachelor’s degree already, it might be tough for me to take another online diploma or degree at the same time. My experience as a novel translator is also not at a professional level as the entry requirements are relatively low, and it is likely that it does not really count as professional translation experience. Should I be training myself and applying for online DipTrans courses (if they are available), then go for the DipTrans, or perhaps apply for online courses after I graduate from my current degree? It would be great if there are other translation qualifications for the Chinese to English pair that are on the level of a BA in Translation, but I cannot seem to find one.

Thank you in advance for all your advice.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 03:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
Postgraduate certificate Mar 17, 2019

Hku space offers a postgraduate certificate and a diploma. The academic work for the certificate is a joke, but people don't need to know. The diploma might be more involved.

At the end of the day, it's just a spring board to get you started. It ceases to matter once you have a few years under your belt.

[Edited at 2019-03-17 15:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Chinese to English Translation Qualifications for New Translators with Little Experience

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »