F Bossard
F Bossard
France
Local time: 22:48
English to French
+ ...
Sep 21, 2017

Hi,

I would be pleased to have a rough idea of current rates per hour for MTPE (Machine translation post editing)

Thanks a lot in advance, François

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Rates Sep 21, 2017

Just quote your regular hourly rate. After all, it doesn't matter what you are working on, an hour of your time is an hours of your time, and needs to be paid accordingly.

ahartje
MalinJK84
Pepa Devesa
Mirka Kiljala
Elena David
Luise Spanhol
Susanta Chakraborty

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@François Sep 21, 2017

F Bossard wrote:
I would be pleased to have a rough idea of current rates per hour for MTPE (machine translation post editing).

If you want to set your own rate: work out how many words you can translate in an hour with the aid of machine translation, then multiply that by your usual per-word rate to get the per-hour rate that you should aim for.

So, for example, if you can translate 300 words per hour without machine translation, and 500 words *with* machine translation, and your rate is €0.09 per word, then you should charge €45.00 per hour for PEMT. The fact that you can translate only 300 words per hour without machine translation is not really relevant.

If you want to know what is the minimum offer to accept for PEMT, well, just think of your usual per-hour rate.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Luise Spanhol
Beth Jones
Retno Satya DAHANINGTYAS
Léa Moulin
Viviane Nteh
Tony Keily

Robert Rietvelt
Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
Absolutely Sep 21, 2017

Thayenga wrote:

Just quote your regular hourly rate. After all, it doesn't matter what you are working on, an hour of your time is an hours of your time, and needs to be paid accordingly.

I agree totally.

Colleen Roach, PhD
Beth Jones
Aniko Szegedi
Marinaro Tampubolon

F Bossard
F Bossard
France
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
rates per hour for MTPE Sep 21, 2017

Thanks a lot for shedding light on this matter,
Kind regards,François

Marco Belcastro Bara
Marco Belcastro Bara  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
rates per hour for MTPE Sep 21, 2017

I agree with the three answers!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
proofread vs edit vs review vs adapt Sep 22, 2017

I can't get it from your question, yet it may involve VERY different activities from just making it slightly more fluid and human-like to namely re-translating against the source, including conversions, researches and so on. Therefore, it may require VERY different approaches and payment; or how it was agreed. What are your responsibilities exactly?

Frankly, I wouldn't do MTPE or I'd asked for more, because for me it's more difficult to follow the original idea in styleless automati
... See more
I can't get it from your question, yet it may involve VERY different activities from just making it slightly more fluid and human-like to namely re-translating against the source, including conversions, researches and so on. Therefore, it may require VERY different approaches and payment; or how it was agreed. What are your responsibilities exactly?

Frankly, I wouldn't do MTPE or I'd asked for more, because for me it's more difficult to follow the original idea in styleless automatic sentence collections, unless they translate it for machines too)

[Edited at 2017-09-22 08:34 GMT]
Collapse

marina callegari
Pepa Devesa
Simon Molnar
Beth Jones
Binod Shaw Hindi Translator
Daniela Cestarollo

J KIM
J KIM  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 06:48
Korean to English
+ ...
rates per hour for mtpe Sep 22, 2017

Marco Belcastro Bara wrote:

I agree with the three answers!

that makes five of us

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
rates per hour for mtpe Sep 22, 2017

Six here!

Claudio Porcellana (X)
Claudio Porcellana (X)  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Rates per hour for MTPE Sep 25, 2017

IMHO, no LP will ever accept an hourly rate for MTPE!
not LPs I know, at least

the regular rate is per word, and it's usually 1/3 of the rate of a regular translation
so if your rate is e.g. 0.09 USD/source word, the MTPE will be 0.03

my 2 cents

[Edited at 2017-09-25 11:17 GMT]

Ivana UK
Mary Rizzo
Ilse Heyrman
Carlos Cassiani
Eslam Khalil
Sunil Nawle
Roberta F Frediani

Daniel Jeory
Daniel Jeory
Local time: 21:48
Member (2003)
German to English
Answer: simply don't accept post-editing Dec 19, 2017

My answer is simple: don't accept machine translation post-editing jobs. We all need to take a stand against this appalling encroachment into our beautiful profession. I recently got into a big argument with a very large agency that has recently switched to a predominantly post-editing strategy. This agency now expects its translators to edit machine translation output for lower pay. Ok, that's fine when the source text has been perfectly written and formatted. However, 99% of the time, t... See more
My answer is simple: don't accept machine translation post-editing jobs. We all need to take a stand against this appalling encroachment into our beautiful profession. I recently got into a big argument with a very large agency that has recently switched to a predominantly post-editing strategy. This agency now expects its translators to edit machine translation output for lower pay. Ok, that's fine when the source text has been perfectly written and formatted. However, 99% of the time, the output is garbage. As a result, I sent edited garbage back to them and told them there was no way I was essentially going to do the job of a translator at these lower rates. Make a stand people.Collapse

Radha Verma
Pankaj Makode
Catherine Howard
Irena Ogden
Florian Stauber
Thayenga
Rachel Waddington

Veronica Lavigna
Veronica Lavigna  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:48
I totally agree... Jan 9, 2018

Claudio Porcellana wrote:

IMHO, no LP will ever accept an hourly rate for MTPE!
not LPs I know, at least

the regular rate is per word, and it's usually 1/3 of the rate of a regular translation
so if your rate is e.g. 0.09 USD/source word, the MTPE will be 0.03

my 2 cents

[Edited at 2017-09-25 11:17 GMT]

Pradeep Neupane
Daniela Cestarollo
BabelOn-line
Jana Kyselá

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
I fully disagree Jan 9, 2018

- TAUS post-editors directory only lists per hour rate - https://taus.net/post-editors TAUS also offers a post-editing course. Of course, with a per-hour rate, you cannot justify training your skills from the ground up at the expense of the client. See point below.

- At the beginning, a seasoned translator who just starts out taking post-editing jobs should expect his/her productivity (and his/
... See more
- TAUS post-editors directory only lists per hour rate - https://taus.net/post-editors TAUS also offers a post-editing course. Of course, with a per-hour rate, you cannot justify training your skills from the ground up at the expense of the client. See point below.

- At the beginning, a seasoned translator who just starts out taking post-editing jobs should expect his/her productivity (and his/her per hour rate, if they use a per word pricing) to take a hit. This is only natural. But the mid-term aim is to match at least the translation per hour rate, with regards to productivity. Otherwise, either pricing or process is not correct, or they should simply stick with translation and other services.

- For what’s worth, I have been paid hourly for post-editing jobs.

- Post-editing must be done right, otherwise is it just exploitation in disguise: source material must be appropriate for machine translation, the MT output needs to require relatively few edits to meet the quality goal, etc. Some translation agencies are just as clueless when it comes to post-editing as the translators they use to post-edit their client’s materials.

- Although MT can be used as an aid for translation, post-editing MT is a different service than translation, it requires different skills and quite a different mindset (of course, both activities share many aspects and goals). Just like subtitling, or editing/revising, I think one needs to be acquainted with the process. Not every translator can (or should) tackle subtitling, revising or post-editing (the same is true the other way around).

- For a translator who starts taking on post-editing jobs, it is only natural to base his/her pricing in relation to his/her translation rate. One way to calculate this is to time how many words per hour one can post-edit, on average, and how this compares to his/her translation words per hour. Which brings me to the last point.

- I’m sure Claudio was giving an honest advice, but I consider this advice to do a disservice to fellow linguists. So, you charge for full post-editing as much as you would for proofreading a human translator? Is the time you take to fully post-edit 1,000 words 3 times faster than translating the same text, or equal to that of proofreading the translated 1,000 word text? And if 1/3 is the rate for full post-editing, how much would you charge for light post-editing? Because there is no such thing as “post-editing” without specifying the quality expectations.

- In my experience and view, full post-editing is more towards 60-75% of the translation rate, which I can confirm with at least three of my clients, who are serious about post-editing.

And to make things clearer, let’s find an explanation of what full post-editing and light post-editing actually is.

Light post-editing: This involves taking the raw MT output and performing as few modifications as possible to the text in order to make the translation understandable, factually accurate, and grammatically correct. The key phrases for light post-editing are “factual correctness” and “good enough”.

Full post-editing: Full post-editing, a slower and more in-depth pass, must produce absolutely accurate translations that consistently use correct and approved terminology, have the appropriate tone and style, have no stylistic inconsistencies and variations, and are free from any grammatical mistakes. After this edit, the translation should read as if written in the target language. The expectation is high: full post-edited content must be equal to human translation in all aspects. Therefore, content must meet the quality criteria defined by the client for human translations.

Jean

[Edited at 2018-01-09 20:59 GMT]

[Edited at 2018-01-09 22:10 GMT]
Collapse

Ginna Ma
Marilia Sette Câmara
Christine Andersen
Tracey Citron (X)
Félix Lembo Stache
rir
Helga Weirather

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:48
English to Spanish
+ ...
One hour doesn't have the same value for everything Jan 10, 2018

I disagree with the tenor of the received wisdom that a translator has a standard (or universal) hourly rate. Different tasks require different skills, different level of concentration.

Although some companies ask what's my hourly rate for translation (which is a very vague statement anyway), I decline to answer. It's either a per-word rate or a per-project fee.

I charge different hourly rates for different services. And MTPE is a service quite different from straight
... See more
I disagree with the tenor of the received wisdom that a translator has a standard (or universal) hourly rate. Different tasks require different skills, different level of concentration.

Although some companies ask what's my hourly rate for translation (which is a very vague statement anyway), I decline to answer. It's either a per-word rate or a per-project fee.

I charge different hourly rates for different services. And MTPE is a service quite different from straight translation.
Collapse

Pepa Devesa
rir
Helga Weirather
Binod Shaw Hindi Translator
Daniela Cestarollo
Witold Wiechowski
Maryna Karatkevich

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Digging your own hole Jan 10, 2018

farolingo wrote:

My answer is simple: don't accept machine translation post-editing jobs. We all need to take a stand against this appalling encroachment into our beautiful profession. I recently got into a big argument with a very large agency that has recently switched to a predominantly post-editing strategy. This agency now expects its translators to edit machine translation output for lower pay. ...Make a stand people.

I totally agree.

People still don't get it that the more they help these machines the less work they are going to have?
I don't understand how people don't get that they are digging their own holes?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5oO0PT_-Ao

"....
We're digging our own hole
We're going backwards
Armed with new technology
Going backwards
...."

Catherine Howard
Ruth Santos Westphal
Florian Stauber
Cécile A.-C.
Thayenga
Tania Samsonova
Pepa Devesa

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates per hour for MTPE

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »