Working as a translator in Australia
Thread poster: EstherCC
EstherCC
EstherCC
Spain
May 30, 2017

Hello,

I am a translator from Spain and I'd like to spend a year working in Australia. Does anyone know if it is "easy" to find a job as a translator there? I know that most Australian companies require the NAATI accreditation and asking for the recognition of my bachelor's degree costs more than $1000. So does anybody know if it is worth it? Should I try to get the recognition of my degree?

Thank you very much for all your answers and your help.

Esther.

Mel R
Mel R
Local time: 14:44
Italian to English
+ ...
NAATI accreditation May 31, 2017

Hi Esther,

Yes, most Australian translation companies will require you have NAATI accreditation and your bachelor's degree alone may not be enough, even if you pay to get it officially recognised.

On the other hand, if you have a freelance translation business and have already built the beginnings of a client base before going abroad, it shouldn't matter too much where in the world you are while you work!

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Visa options May 31, 2017

If you intend to apply for a working visa as a translator, then NAATI accreditation is mandatory. If you are just going to spend this year on a work and holiday visa, your options would be limited. I am not even sure if you can work as a translator, unless you could find an in-house job. You will certainly need to check it with the authorities first.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:44
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
1-year working visa for young people? May 31, 2017

Vanda Nissen wrote:
If you are just going to spend this year on a work and holiday visa, your options would be limited. I am not even sure if you can work as a translator, unless you could find an in-house job. You will certainly need to check it with the authorities first.

I think they like you to be doing work that benefits Australia, for example working for one of their enormous, labour-intensive farms.

Vanda Nissen
Vanda Nissen  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 00:44
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
Two years Jun 1, 2017

Sheila Wilson wrote:

I think they like you to be doing work that benefits Australia, for example working for one of their enormous, labour-intensive farms.

This was my impression as well, Sheila. It can be extended for 12 more months after the first year but as far as I know primarily, it is indeed, farm work. It is intended for young people from a few countries (including Spanish nationals). There is also a different type of visa, called temporary work visa but this one would require a sponsor. Esther needs to find an employer first who will be willing to sponsor her work visa. In a nutshell, NAATI accreditation is not the first thing to do here.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working as a translator in Australia

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »