May 13, 2018

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Don't nag people May 13, 2018

No, absolutely not. Leave them be. Normally I would warn you not to allow your own cultural preconceptions to make you act in ways that may not be appropriate in a non-Japanese context, because this is not a Japanese company and there is no need for you to stand up in front of everybody and give a 自己紹介. However, you would appear to have experience living and working overseas, so I'm somewhat surprised to see you asking basic questions like this.

Remember that these PMs are b
... See more
No, absolutely not. Leave them be. Normally I would warn you not to allow your own cultural preconceptions to make you act in ways that may not be appropriate in a non-Japanese context, because this is not a Japanese company and there is no need for you to stand up in front of everybody and give a 自己紹介. However, you would appear to have experience living and working overseas, so I'm somewhat surprised to see you asking basic questions like this.

Remember that these PMs are busy people, and every email you send is something else that they have to spend time on. In this case, your email isn't even related to the business itself, so it has no value for them. If you ask your contact whether you should send an email, and they say "No thank you, not necessary", then listen to them. Don't ignore them. Do not repeatedly ask the same question in different ways. That's not good business practice.

Let me repeat that basic bit of business common sense: listen to what they are saying. Do not respond to them with "Oh, but I think I should do XYZ". They don't care what you think. They have their own ways of doing things and you are a supplier, not a colleague. You don't get to demand email addresses and other internal data.

I will be blunt: you are sending the wrong signals to this client and you need to stop that right away before they decide that dealing with you is too much trouble, because you don't listen or obey simple instructions.

I deal with many agencies in Japan in addition to my European and UK clients. None of them ever asked me to introduce myself, not least because they already had received full details of my background and my career. After all, what more do they need to know? When project managers from these agencies did contact me for work, it was a simple greeting in Japanese along the lines of "My name is Suzuki Hanako, nice to meet you. Please consider the following project." And then we got on with it.

Wait, be patient, do not expect work immediately, continue to market yourself to other potential clients. Especially, do not pester new clients - it leaves a bad impression in any business, and is likely to be counterproductive.

Regards,
Dan
Collapse

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dan-san May 13, 2018

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:06
French to English
Patience! May 13, 2018

Like Dan, I recommend patience. I had a call out of the blue a short while back from a guy who I had sent my CV to... last century (I was free-lancing for a short while before getting an in-house job which suited me better at the time).

I couldn't help him out with the emergency he had right then, but recommended a couple of colleagues who might (I don't think either were able to, but I had demonstrated goodwill at least).

Then he contacted me again just a few weeks ag
... See more
Like Dan, I recommend patience. I had a call out of the blue a short while back from a guy who I had sent my CV to... last century (I was free-lancing for a short while before getting an in-house job which suited me better at the time).

I couldn't help him out with the emergency he had right then, but recommended a couple of colleagues who might (I don't think either were able to, but I had demonstrated goodwill at least).

Then he contacted me again just a few weeks ago, having landed a huge job in one of my speciality subjects.

He never replied to any of my mails updating my contact details, happy new year messages, etc. but obviously took note that I was still around and in business.
Collapse

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Merci Kay May 13, 2018

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Busiest season May 13, 2018

If it's the agency I'm thinking of, at least two of their senior project managers were working until midnight JST yesterday (yes, Saturday). I know because that's when they sent me the material for the jobs that they had previously booked.

This is a very, very busy time of the year. I am sure you know that in theory, given your background but, in practice, are you really factoring this issue into your discussions with these potential clients? Nobody related to financial translation
... See more
If it's the agency I'm thinking of, at least two of their senior project managers were working until midnight JST yesterday (yes, Saturday). I know because that's when they sent me the material for the jobs that they had previously booked.

This is a very, very busy time of the year. I am sure you know that in theory, given your background but, in practice, are you really factoring this issue into your discussions with these potential clients? Nobody related to financial translation has much spare bandwidth at the moment.

Softly, softly, is my advice. It takes months and years to build a good client relationship, but you can destroy one in 30 seconds.

Dan
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
You are so right! May 13, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:

It takes months and years to build a good client relationship, but you can destroy one in 30 seconds.

Dan

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for follow-up Dan san May 13, 2018

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for checking my topic May 13, 2018

Yewande Oluwajobi
Yewande Oluwajobi
Nigeria
Local time: 13:06
English to Yoruba
+ ...
Patience... May 13, 2018

Patience.... They can be busy or trying to weigh their options. I feel you should just relax and wait so it doesnt look as if you are nagging or too desperate.

espoir03
espoir03
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Adejoke May 13, 2018

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting projects from newly registered agency

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »