Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:30
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dec 5, 2018

The worst technical issue I'm having lately has been going on for almost a year now. MemoQ, all of a sudden, uses about 6 GBytes of my memory, out of the blue, and the only solution is to shut it down using Task Manager and reopening it.
I've checked forums and realized several people are facing this problem too. Killgray simply wasn't able to fix it yet, and when you ask for help, they don't know what to do.
I paid for MemoQ for three years in a row, to make sure I had the latest v
... See more
The worst technical issue I'm having lately has been going on for almost a year now. MemoQ, all of a sudden, uses about 6 GBytes of my memory, out of the blue, and the only solution is to shut it down using Task Manager and reopening it.
I've checked forums and realized several people are facing this problem too. Killgray simply wasn't able to fix it yet, and when you ask for help, they don't know what to do.
I paid for MemoQ for three years in a row, to make sure I had the latest versions and online assistance. This year, for the first time, I'm not paying for it. I won't pay for it until I'm sure this issue has been resolved. And if this doesn't happen until the end of next year, I'm gladly moving on to Trados.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:30
Danish to English
+ ...
Me too Dec 5, 2018

It seems to happen in files with many symbols, such as computer specifications. I haven't seen the problem in version 8.5 yet, but then again I haven't worked with such files in version 8.5 yet.

I have a couple of MemoQ support pages full of unresolved bug reports.

Yes, it's awfully slow to get bugs fixed, but Trados doesn't seem to be any better in that respect, and I don't like the Trados UI either. In fact I'm trying to get rid of my Trados licence, which I regret.

Mario Freitas

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Indeed Dec 5, 2018

I don't want to move to Trados. I tried it before I chose MemoQ, and my choice had MANY reasons. But if Killgray is not able to solve such a serious issue like this one, which has been going on for over a year now, how trustworthy are they? It's unacceptable for such an expansive software.
I'm hoping they'll fix it soon, but I'm not contacting their helpdesk anymore, because I've done it twice, and they surely have no clue on how to solve it.

Thomas T. Frost

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 12:30
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mario Dec 6, 2018

Mario Freitas wrote:
[Sometimes MemoQ suddenly uses about 6 GB of memory,] and the only solution is to shut it down using Task Manager and reopening it. ... [I'm considering] moving on to Trados.

Trados/Wordfast/OmegaT/etc users have complained about similar things. It may well be that only MemoQ has this behaviour on your computer, and that Trados wouldn't, but it may just as well be that both MemoQ and Trados will have this problem on your computer. Unfortunately MemoQ's developers won't be able to fix this problem unless they know what causes it... on your computer.

Problems with programs suddenly, unexpectedly or inexplicably using a lot of RAM or a lot of CPU are usually caused by a combination of factors on the computer itself, and the solution may be to optimize your computer itself. E.g. do you have a fast enough hard drive, do you have enough hard drive space, do you have a large enough swap file, is there optimal communication between your CPU and your hard drive and/or your memory chips, is your hard drive too defragmented, is the registry tied in a knot, etc. And since files that you open in MemoQ do not originate from your own computer, it may well be that elements in certain types of files cause this malfunction (which makes it somewhat more likely that the same problem may occur in Trados). If all else fails, have you tried reinstalling MemoQ, or reinstalling Windows (after a complete format and repartition)?

I've had similar problems with some programs, and when they occur, I google profusely for a solution, only to discover that there is none. I wish you the best.

Erwin van Wouw
Christophe Delaunay
Kevin Fulton

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
More RAM? Dec 6, 2018

Before waiting for a solution that might never come, how about simply adding more RAM? With 32 GB RAM I have no problems running MemoQ and other RAM hungry applications. (Or, to be precise, not this problem ... Internet speed is the bottleneck now )

Anna Augustin
Kevin Fulton

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel Dec 6, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
Unfortunately MemoQ's developers won't be able to fix this problem unless they know what causes it... on your computer.
If all else fails, have you tried reinstalling MemoQ, or reinstalling Windows (after a complete format and repartition)?

Samuel,
When I asked for help at Killgray, they asked me to upload my TMs and TBs for testing purposes. This is, all by itself, totally unfeasible, and it shows me they have no idea what they are doing.
This issue is not permanent. I use MemoQ all day long, then, all of a sudden, it starts slowing down, freezing, and using up to 6 GB of memory. It's a sporadic thing.
I have a new computer, I formatted it and reinstalled Windows, among other things, and the problem persists.
As I mentioned, many people are having the same problem around the world.
It's not an issue of my computer, whatsoever. It's a software issue, and they haven't been able to solve it in over a year.
This time, I'm sure I'm not the one to blame.

Pal Toth

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Kay Dec 6, 2018

Kay-Viktor Stegemann wrote:

Before waiting for a solution that might never come, how about simply adding more RAM? With 32 GB RAM I have no problems running MemoQ and other RAM hungry applications. (Or, to be precise, not this problem ... Internet speed is the bottleneck now )

This could be a solution. But you see MemoQ usually eats up to 2 GB and stays there. So this shouldn't be a problem. When it starts using 6 GB all of a sudden, it's a clear software bug, and it's temporary.
I could certainly add more RAM, and I might actually do that, since Killgray is not able to solve the problem. But do you see this is a solution on my behalf to overcome their incompetence?

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:30
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Are you using 32-bit or 64-bit MemoQ? Dec 6, 2018

This problem can happen if you are running the 32-bit version of MemoQ 2015 on a 64-bit machine.

To find out, open the task manager while MemoQ is running. It should show up as either memoQ (which is 64-bit) or memoQ32.

If you find you are running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine, just edit the start shortcut. With MemoQ closed, hold the shift button and right click on the memoQ icon, then select Properties. You should be able to edit the target path by taking the
... See more
This problem can happen if you are running the 32-bit version of MemoQ 2015 on a 64-bit machine.

To find out, open the task manager while MemoQ is running. It should show up as either memoQ (which is 64-bit) or memoQ32.

If you find you are running the 32-bit version on a 64-bit machine, just edit the start shortcut. With MemoQ closed, hold the shift button and right click on the memoQ icon, then select Properties. You should be able to edit the target path by taking the "32" out of memoq32.exe.

The latest version of memoQ (8.6) doesn't seem to install a 32-bit version, as far as I can see.
Collapse

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:30
Danish to English
+ ...
It also happens with the 64-bit version Dec 6, 2018

I've always been using the 64-bit version on a 64-bit machine, and it happened anyway (in MemoQ 2015).

I reported it to MemoQ support on 11 October 2017. The ticket status is still Work in progress, which is how most of my bug reports end up.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
English to German
In memoriam
Blame does not help Dec 6, 2018

Mario Freitas wrote:

This could be a solution. But you see MemoQ usually eats up to 2 GB and stays there. So this shouldn't be a problem. When it starts using 6 GB all of a sudden, it's a clear software bug, and it's temporary.
I could certainly add more RAM, and I might actually do that, since Killgray is not able to solve the problem. But do you see this is a solution on my behalf to overcome their incompetence?

I'm just pragmatic. It's probably their fault and they might be incompetent, but how does this knowledge help you? If there is a workaround, take it and move on..

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Kay Dec 6, 2018

I'm just pragmatic. It's probably their fault and they might be incompetent, but how does this knowledge help you? If there is a workaround, take it and move on..

Ok, I'm not saying I don't accept the workaround. I'm just saying the product is quite a bit expansive to require a workaround. This is why I opened this post. If you just let it be, it's just too easy for the big businessmen to make money without being liable for quality.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Péter Tófalvi

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Mario Dec 7, 2018

Mario Freitas wrote:
When I asked for help at Killgray, they asked me to upload my TMs and TBs for testing purposes.

So, do you think this problem may be related to specific TMs or specific TBs? I'm not a MemoQ user, so I don't know what MemoQ users usually do or have to do to optimise their TMs and TBs.

Mario Freitas
Brazil
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@ Samuel Dec 7, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
So, do you think this problem may be related to specific TMs or specific TBs? I'm not a MemoQ user, so I don't know what MemoQ users usually do or have to do to optimise their TMs and TBs.

It may be, Samuel. But the thing is (1) the TMs and TBs are large enough to fill a DVD. Asking me to upload them shows a total lack of knowledge; (2) the TMs and TBs are my intellectual property of the past 10 years. A translator does not upload these things. They are worth a million bucks, there is no way I'm sharing this; (3) they know what the problem is, and they have several complaints on it. They just ask people to upload stuff and make tests to win time, because they haven't solved the issue and have no idea how to.

Tomasz Sienicki
Péter Tófalvi

Ziqi Zhou
Ziqi Zhou
United States
Local time: 04:30
Korean to Chinese
+ ...
Maybe you can try some cloud based CAT tools Dec 11, 2018

Maybe you can try some cloud-based CAT tools like memsource or XTM??

Dominic D.
Dominic D.
Serbian to Russian
+ ...
MemoQ is sluggish Feb 26, 2021

I've always found MemoQ slower and more sluggish in pretty much everything it does compared to Trados. In fact, the ONLY thing that makes me cling to MemoQ really is the wonderfully easy find&replace workflow which is crucial with MT's. So the RAM hogging doesn't surprise me.

How did this problem end up, by the way?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MemoQ consumes all my memory

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »