Does OmegaT creates search indexes for tm?
Thread poster: Руслан И.
Руслан И.
Руслан И.
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:02
Turkish to Russian
+ ...
Nov 29, 2018

When I import new TM into OmegaT in form of large tmx files, OmegaT seems to lag for some time.
Question is, does OmegaT creates search indexes?

Second question, is it better to split large tmx into smaller ones?

My main issue is low OmegaT performance with large tm files.

Didier Briel
Didier Briel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 17:02
English to French
+ ...
No search index Nov 29, 2018

Руслан И. wrote:
When I import new TM into OmegaT

OmegaT doesn't import them, it just loads them (i.e., it doesn't transform them into anything else).

in form of large tmx files, OmegaT seems to lag for some time.
Question is, does OmegaT creates search indexes?

No.
The lag time you are seeing is the time needed to load the TMX, or an issue with memory.

Second question, is it better to split large tmx into smaller ones?

It shouldn't really make a difference.

My main issue is low OmegaT performance with large tm files.

Are you sure you have allocated enough memory to OmegaT?

You can check the memory available in Help > About.

If not, you are likely to experience performance issues.

To increase memory, see:
https://omegat.sourceforge.io/manual-standard/en/chapter.installing.and.running.html#launch.command.arguments

Didier

Руслан И.
Руслан И.
Russian Federation
Local time: 21:02
Turkish to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved Nov 29, 2018

Thank you for your reply! Very clear answer!

tcordonniery
tcordonniery
France
Local time: 17:02
Lucene Indexes for OmegaT Jan 22, 2019

Hi Ruslan, sorry that I did not see this message before

I experimented the possibility to create indexed translation memories for OmegaT using Apache Lucene: this library is already present in OmegaT (used for tokenizers) but I added the possibility to use it for indexation, which is its initial goal.

You can download a pa
... See more
Hi Ruslan, sorry that I did not see this message before

I experimented the possibility to create indexed translation memories for OmegaT using Apache Lucene: this library is already present in OmegaT (used for tokenizers) but I added the possibility to use it for indexation, which is its initial goal.

You can download a patched version of OmegaT here:
http://www.silvestris-lab.org/node/43
and to learn how to use Lucene indexes:
http://www.silvestris-lab.org/node/26

As far as I could test, these indexes have a speed comparable with TMX loaded in memory (i.e. search is sometimes faster, sometimes slower), except that they do not need to be loaded: you can have gigabytes of such files without expanding the memory used by OmegaT. So it is definitively useful for large files but useless for smaller ones.

This is still experimental, use it at your own risk. Don't hesitate to make a report about your tests here.

Note: this cannot be done as a plugin actually because OmegaT does not provide an API for translation memories (they provide API only for machine translation, which is not the same thing), that is why it looks like a fork. But if you are interested, we can try to convince the core team to include it.

Regards
Thomas
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Does OmegaT creates search indexes for tm?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »