Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: In general, how long between submitting your quote on a job and the start of work on that job?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 11:51
French to English
This could work in your favour May 15, 2018

Eden Cope wrote:

Because I am in the US right now and a lot of the companies I work with are in Europe, I often send quotes late at night and don't start the project until the morning. That makes it rather annoying when there are tight deadlines just a few hours from when the project is sent, because then I have to turn the project down. I'm not going to stay up all night and turn in a project at 5 am.
I am always impressed when companies have reasonable deadlines because they are aware of how time zones would complicate things otherwise. It's much more professional.

[Edited at 2018-05-14 15:21 GMT]

When I worked as a PM in an agency in Paris, my new world translators were the emergency solution. If by early afternoon I hadn't found anyone, I would ask them, and I would find the translation in my inbox the next morning. Of course, the translator had to be 100% reliable and resourceful because I wouldn't be around to answer questions, then they would be asleep while I was proofreading their stuff so I couldn't ask why they had used a particular term. I believe they would look at their e-mail very early in the morning to be able to confirm. Ah, and they were on the east coast.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:51
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other: I start when the job is confirmed May 15, 2018

Depending on what else I have to do, I may start right away.

This question is a bit strange because no translator should start working on a job without confirmation.

Edith van der Have
Edith van der Have
Netherlands
Member (2016)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other May 15, 2018

This can range from minutes to months (or never because many of my quotes are not accepted).

[Edited at 2018-05-15 07:50 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Usually hours... May 15, 2018

I quote on availability and delivery times as well as the rate. My clients are agencies, and we have usually agreed on rates already.
Most of my jobs are small, so I have fairly fast turnaround times, and can often start within hours after the order is confirmed.

The first enquiry may only have come a short while before everything is agreed. Mails asking 'are you available?, my reply and any negotiations can be completed within an hour. Depending on how rushed the job is, I ca
... See more
I quote on availability and delivery times as well as the rate. My clients are agencies, and we have usually agreed on rates already.
Most of my jobs are small, so I have fairly fast turnaround times, and can often start within hours after the order is confirmed.

The first enquiry may only have come a short while before everything is agreed. Mails asking 'are you available?, my reply and any negotiations can be completed within an hour. Depending on how rushed the job is, I can usually start the same day or later the next day. Otherwise I am too busy, and may have to turn down the job altogether.

Yesterday and today, however, I have been working on two jobs where the clients were willing to wait, one for more than two weeks, because I was absolutely offline on family business. The second client asked about a week ago when I would be available.

Of course, they can't all wait, but it is great when they can, and I often have work in my in-tray like that when I come home from a break.
Good planning and time to check and revise the results are still important quality parameters.
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:51
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hours vs. eternity May 15, 2018

For regular clients, it's a matter of hours or even minutes.
For potential clients, there is no way to measure.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In general, how long between submitting your quote on a job and the start of work on that job?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »