How the heck is "match discount" on MTPE a thing?
Thread poster: Adieu
Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2021

Isn't the entirety of MTPE at separate rates a "match discount" in it of itself? Like, literally?!

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 15:39
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Don't understand the question. Feb 12, 2021

I don't do MTPE so don't understand. Not sure in what format the client provides the file, if it's in source-target segments, perhaps if a segment repeats, that's a match. Not sure. You're talking about machine translation, right?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Feb 12, 2021

In my specific case, MTPE looks like the exact same prepopulated segments in MemoQ.... except I guess the translation manager prepopulated them on their end? Or something...

Idk.

Except for the implication that somehow a larger percent of the prepopulated segments should be valid-ish, I really for the life of me can't tell how this is in any way different from translating with a CAT tool with a shared TM... except the inherent discount for it "being" MTPE

B
... See more
In my specific case, MTPE looks like the exact same prepopulated segments in MemoQ.... except I guess the translation manager prepopulated them on their end? Or something...

Idk.

Except for the implication that somehow a larger percent of the prepopulated segments should be valid-ish, I really for the life of me can't tell how this is in any way different from translating with a CAT tool with a shared TM... except the inherent discount for it "being" MTPE

But if the discount is BECAUSE a larger percentage of segments are populated with healthy matches, then isn't THAT basically the discount already?

Feels like a stacking of the same discount. "MTPE rates (= discount) because high match rate" AND "discount on rates for high matches" feel like mutually exclusive clauses, on account of being two ways to discount one and the same

[Edited at 2021-02-12 11:47 GMT]
Collapse

Miranda Drew

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adieu Feb 12, 2021

Adieu wrote:

When doing pre-translation in MemoQ, there is the option to request machine translation. If you do not choose machine translation, only fuzzy matches from TMs will be inserted. If you do choose machine translation, then segments that have no fuzzy matches from TMs will be machine translated.

I'm not sure what effect this has on pricing, though. This would depend on the client's pricing grid, wouldn't it? Do you have the analysis with you? Can you share with us the categories that it contains?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Rates Feb 12, 2021

75-94% match 0.6x rate
95-100% match & repetitions 0.3x rate

101% >>> 0.0x rate

That last one, which afaik is memoq's way of calling repetitions following repetitions, is really annoying.

I just did one where the full rate was paid on just 10% of the wordcount. 5000 words, "2000 weighted". And they bundled 7 files in one purchase order to bypass my minimums. NOT HAPPY.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 10:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2021
... See more
75-94% match 0.6x rate

101% >>> 0.0x rate

That last one, which afaik is memoq's way of calling repetitions following repetitions, is really annoying.

I just did one where the full rate was paid on just 10% of the wordcount. 5000 words, "2000 weighted". And they bundled 7 files in one purchase order to bypass my minimums. NOT HAPPY.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 10:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-02-12 10:47 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Adieu Feb 12, 2021

Adieu wrote:
75-94% match 0.6x rate
101% >>> 0.0x rate

Okay, but this has nothing to do with MTPE. Is there a field that shows the discounts for machine translations? Or are you saying that some of the machine translations are shown as percentage matches?

That last one, which AFAIKis MemoQ's way of calling repetitions following repetitions, is really annoying.

These are called "in context matches", ICE matches, 101% matches, etc. by various CAT tools. They're not related to repetitions but to 100% matches. The idea is that if 100% matches in the TM that precedes and follows the current 100% match are identical to the previous and next segment in the document itself, then they more likely to be so reliable that less checking is required. Different CAT tools calculate them in different ways, but AFAIK MemoQ considers *only* the segment immediately prior and after the current segment (other CAT tools consider more segments than just the current three).

It is slightly odd that the agency pays nothing for 101% matches, but if that is so, you can simply filter them out and refuse to check them.

I just did one where the full rate was paid on just 10% of the wordcount. 5000 words, "2000 weighted".

If the full word count is 5000 and the weighted word count is 2000, and your full rate is $0.10 per word, then you should have been paid $200, not $50.

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
I feel you Feb 12, 2021

I recently raised my MTPE rate for a client because when I quoted I didn't know that they would apply matches. They agreed to raise it and still send me jobs.

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Feb 12, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:

I recently raised my MTPE rate for a client because when I quoted I didn't know that they would apply matches. They agreed to raise it and still send me jobs.

If it was in English, don't suppose you'd share a template for writing a successful request letter on the matter?

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite Feb 12, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

If the full word count is 5000 and the weighted word count is 2000, and your full rate is $0.10 per word, then you should have been paid $200, not $50.

Only 10% of the text's total word count was billed at full rate (the rest being a mix of 0%, 30%, and 60%)

But given that my MTPE rate was naively already 50% discounted from my full price translation rate... managed a grand total of 91 bucks.

Not minimum wage, but pretty dang close. I feel dirty and somewhat violated.

[Edited at 2021-02-12 11:56 GMT]

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
My email Feb 12, 2021

Adieu wrote:

If it was in English, don't suppose you'd share a template for writing a successful request letter on the matter?

It was in Italian, Here is a machine translation by Deepl, with little editing. Good luck!

I would like to increase my MTPE rate to xx cents per word.
When I chose to set my rate at x cents per word I had not considered the "discounts" for repetitions and fuzzy matches applied by Company. Basically, at x cents per word I'm not quite reaching my desired hourly rate, so I'd like to set it at xx cents per word, even though it will mean receiving fewer jobs.

Adieu

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
How far did you raise it? Feb 12, 2021

Elena Feriani wrote:

Adieu wrote:

It was in Italian, Here is a machine translation by Deepl, with little editing. Good luck!

I would like to increase my MTPE rate to xx cents per word.
When I chose to set my rate at x cents per word I had not considered the "discounts" for repetitions and fuzzy matches applied by Company. Basically, at x cents per word I'm not quite reaching my desired hourly rate, so I'd like to set it at xx cents per word, even though it will mean receiving fewer jobs.

+what %? And what % of your translation rate is your new MTPE rate?

Elena Feriani
Elena Feriani
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
% Feb 12, 2021

Adieu wrote:

+what %? And what % of your translation rate is your new MTPE rate?

My MTPE rate was 65% of my translation rate and they agreed to raise it to 75%. I had asked for 85% but we settled for 75%.

Adieu

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How the heck is "match discount" on MTPE a thing?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »