Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:47
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Oct 26, 2018

Yesterday I received a notification about a Connect job, pointing to a message with this subject line:
Subject: XXXX: English/Hungarian Translation
(I redacted the name of the company)

I replied to this job using the Connect form, and checked the box for "Send a copy to me".
The system sent me the copy of the message as an email, with the following subject line:
"Reply from Katalin Horváth McClure Re: XXXX: English/Italian Translation"
The mess
... See more
Yesterday I received a notification about a Connect job, pointing to a message with this subject line:
Subject: XXXX: English/Hungarian Translation
(I redacted the name of the company)

I replied to this job using the Connect form, and checked the box for "Send a copy to me".
The system sent me the copy of the message as an email, with the following subject line:
"Reply from Katalin Horváth McClure Re: XXXX: English/Italian Translation"
The message starts like this:
"A candidate has replied to a message you sent.
Candidate: Katalin Horváth McClure
Need or project: XXXX Project: English/Italian Translation"

To my shock, it said English/Italian Translation while the job was for English/Hungarian.

This is bad, because I applied for Hungarian, not Italian, and if the outsourcer does not need Italian than he won't even open my message! If he does need Italian, he would think I am nuts applying as a Hungarian translator.

The end of the reply message there was a link to the original message that the outsourcer posted, which I checked, just to make sure, and it showed that the outsourcer's original message was for English/Hungarian Translation.

This may be a bug, where for some reason, in the message sent by the system to the outsourcer, Hungarian got replaced by Italian (perhaps next in the alphabet on the languages list?)

I submitted a support ticket about this, but I am wondering if anybody else experienced something similar in the past.
Katalin
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Incorrect language pair in Connect reply

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »