Thread poster: Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Feb 20, 2018

I think there are some fields that should be separated and not combined.
For example government/politics. Although they are connected but I added government to my working field because I do translations in this field, it is a very broad field, but at the same time I don't take translations in politics (parties, ideologies etc.).

Maybe some fields should be narrowed down. What do you think?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:19
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
I disagree Feb 20, 2018

A translator should be able to broaden his/her field when necessary. Do you really receive too many job requests in party-politics so that your mailbox can't handle it?
For an outsourcer it is often very difficult to select a field, I think there could be less of them.

Katalin Szilárd
Katalin Szilárd  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:19
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I think it depends on the field Feb 20, 2018

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

A translator should be able to broaden his/her field when necessary. Do you really receive too many job requests in party-politics so that your mailbox can't handle it?
For an outsourcer it is often very difficult to select a field, I think there could be less of them.

No, I don't receive too many job requests in party-politics (fortunately none). I agree that a translator should be able to broaden her/his field when necessary, but there are topics/projects when you simply don't want to take part in.

And for example medical fields are wisely narrowed down, just as law has more categories.

[Edited at 2018-02-20 11:02 GMT]

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 07:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
While I can see your point... Feb 20, 2018

...150+ fields is already a LOT to manage. I mean, how many fields do we want to divide art or music or history into?

I think this is just something that the client has to find out in more detailed communication. Your profile page is just a summary and there are limits to what it can or should do. Sometimes, the more detail you give, the less useful the information becomes.

[Edited at 2018-02-20 11:30 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Some fields should be separated/narrowed down

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »