In SDL Passolo 2016 Translator editions (free), how can I do Concordance searches?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson
Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:37
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Apr 20, 2019

I have the string list opened and have begun translating the first strings by double-clicking the red text to translate and then hitting Enter. Then there is a small window called Translation furthest down to the left in the main window in Passolo. In this window, there is a drop-down menu where Fuzzy translation is pre-selected. There are question marks for source and target language which I would like to keep if possible to do Concordance searches for all languages as this is a multi-language ... See more
I have the string list opened and have begun translating the first strings by double-clicking the red text to translate and then hitting Enter. Then there is a small window called Translation furthest down to the left in the main window in Passolo. In this window, there is a drop-down menu where Fuzzy translation is pre-selected. There are question marks for source and target language which I would like to keep if possible to do Concordance searches for all languages as this is a multi-language project.

However, I haven't understood how to finally do the Concordance search. Is there another window I should use for Concordance searches than this small window I have now inside the main Passolo window? If not, how to initiate a Concordance search here, and what other settings are necessary?

About the actual translation process in Passolo, I am translating directly in the translation list now according to SDL's instructions here:

https://docs.sdl.com/LiveContent/content/en-US/SDL%20Passolo%20Help-v2/#addHistory=true&filename=GUID-AE8DADC4-AE34-4E32-BEAC-F23586BA1DAE.xml&docid=GUID-39E64C33-48E8-4FD8-97B3-13473376C491&inner_id=&tid=&query=&scope=&resource=&toc=false&eventType=lcContent.loadDocGUID-39E64C33-48E8-4FD8-97B3-13473376C491

But in this ProZ.com Forum posting, Uwe says that normally I should work in the translation window and not in the translation list:

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_passolo/255067-is_passolo_the_most_useless_and_stupid_tool_ever.html

I easily open this translation list by double-clicking on a string in the list. Instead of doing this, is there another way of getting to the translation window for a string in the list instead?

It seems like I should use Shift+F8:

http://producthelp.sdl.com/SDL_Passolo_2016/en/html/Appendix/KeyCombinations.htm

[Edited at 2019-04-20 03:49 GMT]

It seems the translation window is also in the main window, furthest down on the screen, and that's the place where I should perform the translation. Just seems odd I should select the tab Properties and that's where I perform the translation.

Is it possible to validate the translation directly when translating by pressing Ctrl+T? Instead of first pressing Enter to get the green checkmark?

[Edited at 2019-04-20 03:54 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:14 GMT]

Strange, but now when I do fuzzy search by highlighting the source term in the translation window furthest down and click Ctrl+F8 I get no hit even though I just translated the term. Earlier, I got a hit when doing the same procedure, but not now.

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:16 GMT] But it works when I instead click on the button Find fuzzy translations I just discovered...

[Edited at 2019-04-20 05:17 GMT]

No, for a term I just translated, this is not found even when clicking on the button Find fuzzy translations. It worked for one term I translated a few rows before, but not for another term I also translated a few rows before...

[Edited at 2019-04-20 07:53 GMT]

The best seems to be to use the button Find concordances in the translation window.

[Edited at 2019-04-20 08:17 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Myron Netchypor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In SDL Passolo 2016 Translator editions (free), how can I do Concordance searches?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »