Thread poster: Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Jose Fernandez
Local time: 05:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 13, 2018

Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I ran a search and wasn't able to find anything relevant to this question. What I would like to know is whether anyone has any insight on how LSPs maintain memories for languages that their PMs don't speak. I speak Spanish, so I can check memories manually in Trados and I can align documents when these are in Spanish, but I would like to be able to maintain memories for other languages as well. I reckon aligning documents in othe
... See more
Hello all,

I apologize if this has been asked before. I ran a search and wasn't able to find anything relevant to this question. What I would like to know is whether anyone has any insight on how LSPs maintain memories for languages that their PMs don't speak. I speak Spanish, so I can check memories manually in Trados and I can align documents when these are in Spanish, but I would like to be able to maintain memories for other languages as well. I reckon aligning documents in other languages can be troublesome, especially when Trados has problems aligning automatically, which is often the case in my experience. I am sure this is a common problem, so I was hoping anyone would be willing to share their experience on the subject. Thanks so much in advance!

I have Trados 2019 SP1. Some of the languages I would need to work on are Chinese, Vietnamese, Korean, French, and Russian.

Thanks!
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:26
English to Russian
Same approach as for translation: Dec 13, 2018

alignment jobs have to be done by native speakers of your target language. From my experience, LSPs instruct their PMs to distribute such jobs accordingly. You just cannot align what you do not understand.

Kay Denney
Dimmo Petrov

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Maintaining translation memories for languages we don't speak - Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »