Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:59
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
May 31, 2012

Hi there,

I just got myself a new laptop, and as I am setting it up, I am wondering if I should review my email system as well. A lot of people seem to use only Gmail these days, without a desktop email application.

Considering leaving Outlook (my main tool for the last 10+ years) behind and moving to Gmail feels like a big step for me. I know you can use Gmail through Outlook as well... but I sort of think that if I am going the Gmail way, I may as well go all the way.
... See more
Hi there,

I just got myself a new laptop, and as I am setting it up, I am wondering if I should review my email system as well. A lot of people seem to use only Gmail these days, without a desktop email application.

Considering leaving Outlook (my main tool for the last 10+ years) behind and moving to Gmail feels like a big step for me. I know you can use Gmail through Outlook as well... but I sort of think that if I am going the Gmail way, I may as well go all the way. Syncing between desktop and laptop has always been a bit of a hassle. (However, I use desktop as my main work machine and my laptop only as a 'travel machine'.) Still, I am so used to using Outlook and have it set up in a way that really works for me... But maybe this is just resistance to change.

The obvious advantage of using Gmail would be the ability to check email anywhere and not just from the machine where my .pst file resides. On the other hand, I do prefer the Outlook interface over the web-based email interfaces.

This question is also topical for me at the moment because I need to decide which MS Office version to get (one with Outlook or without) to upgrade from my current 2003.

I would be curious to hear how others go about organising their email these days.

Thanks!
Collapse

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:59
English to Russian
+ ...
Eudora + Hotmail May 31, 2012

No problem to read emails (primary address and backup address) on the go via HTC Desire smartphone (copies of messages left on server).
Final download of emails (primary address) is done to Eudora desktop client (free).

Hotmail address is used as a backup address (free).

Sharing files between desktop and laptop - via Dropbox (free).

[Edited at 2012-05-31 10:12 GMT]

Richard Foulkes (X)
Richard Foulkes (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Windows Live Mail May 31, 2012

Is what I'm currently using. It allows me to add my hotmail and webmail accounts and the inbox is always fully updated on both PC and laptop. Sent e-mails are only stored on the computer from which they're sent and WLM probably lacks many of the advanced features of Outlook but I'm getting by with it.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:59
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Outlook May 31, 2012

I use Outlook for my Gmail and own domain emails because I use the Word features in it. That makes it worthwhile for me without a doubt.

If I'm using a different computer, I can still access both emails on their respective webmail applications.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not Outlook May 31, 2012

I have never used Outlook, which I find to be a bloated, obtrusive, clunky nuisance. Gmail seems OK, although it has its detractors and I don't use it much.

Pauliina Kauppila
Pauliina Kauppila  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thunderbird? May 31, 2012

Thanks for your replies so far. Another colleague recommended using Gmail through Thunderbird, so perhaps I should look into that.

Daina Jauntirans
Daina Jauntirans  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
German to English
+ ...
Gmail May 31, 2012

Caveat: I have never used Outlook (I went from Eudora to Thunderbird). I recently reevaluated my e-mail and switched to Gmail. Although there are still features I am getting used to, it's been excellent for keeping my e-mails organized. Two things to get used to: e-mails are tagged with (your own customized) "labels" instead of moving them to folders, and conversations are shown as threads instead of separate e-mails. Both features are very useful once you get used to them. Seriously, my e-mail ... See more
Caveat: I have never used Outlook (I went from Eudora to Thunderbird). I recently reevaluated my e-mail and switched to Gmail. Although there are still features I am getting used to, it's been excellent for keeping my e-mails organized. Two things to get used to: e-mails are tagged with (your own customized) "labels" instead of moving them to folders, and conversations are shown as threads instead of separate e-mails. Both features are very useful once you get used to them. Seriously, my e-mail has never been so organized and individual messages so easy to find. Also, I love being able to see the same information on my desktop, laptop and phone instead of my previous situation where if I left my e-mail client open on my desktop, I wouldn't see the new messages on my phone when I was out.Collapse

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:59
Spanish to English
+ ...
Message alert? May 31, 2012

One thing I like about Outlook is its message alert that floats across your desktop when there is new message. Does Gmail offer this?

Roy Chacón
Roy Chacón  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:59
English to Spanish
Use both.. May 31, 2012

Hi, you can use both, here's the trick:

Just configure (in email account advanced settings) your outlook to leave the messages in the server.

I have 4 computers configured that way, and each one receives all the email.

For the outgoing emails, just CC all outgoing mail to yourself, this way it will get it to your outlook.

George Fabian
George Fabian
Polish to English
Use IMAP setting in GMail and mail client May 31, 2012

Instead of thinking about switching/dropping Outlook, set both Outlook and Gmail to use IMAP instead of POP3. This way everything you do on one computer/device is automatically synched to other devices when they come on-line. I personally use Thunderbird to handle my email (so that I can also have access off-line) and all changes made on the desktop are automatically made on my Gmail account. Also, in TB you can download an add-on that allows you to see your messages in conversations (as in Gmai... See more
Instead of thinking about switching/dropping Outlook, set both Outlook and Gmail to use IMAP instead of POP3. This way everything you do on one computer/device is automatically synched to other devices when they come on-line. I personally use Thunderbird to handle my email (so that I can also have access off-line) and all changes made on the desktop are automatically made on my Gmail account. Also, in TB you can download an add-on that allows you to see your messages in conversations (as in Gmail) if you like. On top of this, I have a mobile phone (Android) that is set up similarly. If I delete an email from the phone (which I've set up to download no more than say 25-50 messages), then it is also deleted from both Gmail as well as Thunderbird. The key is IMAP instead of POP3.

Just a thought.

George
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Gmail AND Outlook May 31, 2012

My Gmail mail (and other) is downloaded to Outlook at the interval I choose. Actually one of the reasons why I chose Gmail at the time was because you could download mail to Outlook.

I don't understand the way Gmail is organised online (conversation and stuff), and I don't really see the point of changing my habits and folder/notification/rule setup.

Admittedly, I don't need to sync laptop and desktop mail, because I don't work when I am not in front of my desktop.
... See more
My Gmail mail (and other) is downloaded to Outlook at the interval I choose. Actually one of the reasons why I chose Gmail at the time was because you could download mail to Outlook.

I don't understand the way Gmail is organised online (conversation and stuff), and I don't really see the point of changing my habits and folder/notification/rule setup.

Admittedly, I don't need to sync laptop and desktop mail, because I don't work when I am not in front of my desktop.

Philippe
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
mail.com May 31, 2012

www.mail.com/
I use it just as a backup for my emails, having lost all my email records on Thunderbird on more than one occasion. I used to use Gmail like this, but I don't like the format, it's too complicated. Mail.com is more like Thunderbird and other desktop mail clients.

[Edited at 2012-05-31 16:02 GMT]

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Gmail May 31, 2012

I was very glad to drop Outlook which I found very awkward to use, and which seemed to consist of mostly spam arrivals, but then I haven't used it for years so it may have changed.

I find Gmail brilliant with it's automatic spam filters, mails grouped into 'conversations', and various other features including chatting with other gmail users if they/you wish. Likewise it can collect mail from other addresses and groups them accordingly. There are probably lots of other featu
... See more
I was very glad to drop Outlook which I found very awkward to use, and which seemed to consist of mostly spam arrivals, but then I haven't used it for years so it may have changed.

I find Gmail brilliant with it's automatic spam filters, mails grouped into 'conversations', and various other features including chatting with other gmail users if they/you wish. Likewise it can collect mail from other addresses and groups them accordingly. There are probably lots of other features I could use, but haven't got around to trying them out.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What I do May 31, 2012

Pauliina Kauppila wrote:

I use Gmail without a desktop application, but I download all Gmail mail using SeaMonkey so that I have a backup of all my mails (and so that I can search and sort my mails offline). When I write mails in Gmail, I use Gmail itself and not an offline tool. [Note that although you can see your Jabber chats in Gmail the chats are not downloaded when you download it to an offline mail program -- a nasty surprise when I discovered that.] The reason I use SeaMonkey is so that the mailbox format is MBOX and so that I have the freedom to tinker with my other mail accounts in a different mail program without worrying that it will affect my Gmail backups (so essentially I don't use SeaMonkey at all except to download/backup my Gmail mails). Also, in SeaMonkey I sort the mail into month folders, to keep the size of the mailbox files reasonable.

I use Thunderbird with an ISP POP3/SMTP mail account, for all my mailing lists and private e-mails. I also have another Gmail account that forwards to my ISP account, which I use for the type of communication that often results in lots of spam, since Gmail's spam protection is useful.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Gmail sync is so useful May 31, 2012

Pauliina Kauppila wrote:
Another colleague recommended using Gmail through Thunderbird, so perhaps I should look into that.

I'm useless in this area, so my opinion ain't worth a lot. But I do know that I like Gmail, with its ability to sync across smartphone and laptop. I also know I downloaded Thunderbird and I do sometimes sort of use it. But I hate it so I never delete things from Gmail. BTW, there is a Gmail Notifier that will bring up a flag (with optional "ping") when new mail arrives.

My only real complaint about Gmail is the search feature - searching on name has to be so specific that if you can't remember exactly what someone's email address is, nor what you called them in your contacts list, then you're down to browsing through the lot or searching for a likely character string in the body.

Sheila

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Email management - Gmail/Outlook/both?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »