PDF conversion
Thread poster: T o b i a s
T o b i a s
T o b i a s
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Jul 3, 2012

Usually Studio will do a good job of converting PDF-from-Word files back into Word (requiring post conversion cleanup with Code Zapper and then manual deletion of leftover hard returns.) In general, I've found ABBYY good for hand tweaking individual pages but not very good for running on auto. I currently have several hundred pages of such documents (PDF-from-Word) that are proving to be a challenge and are either hanging Studio after consuming 1gb or so of memory or are importing into Studio as... See more
Usually Studio will do a good job of converting PDF-from-Word files back into Word (requiring post conversion cleanup with Code Zapper and then manual deletion of leftover hard returns.) In general, I've found ABBYY good for hand tweaking individual pages but not very good for running on auto. I currently have several hundred pages of such documents (PDF-from-Word) that are proving to be a challenge and are either hanging Studio after consuming 1gb or so of memory or are importing into Studio as just a few lines of garbage. (PDFs are ostensibly unprotected but do have a text watermark inserted diagonally). Question: Does anyone know if the commercial version of Solid Converter PDF works any better than the version that runs under studio?

Ref:
http://www.soliddocuments.com/?source=sdl
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 05:53
English to Czech
+ ...
Don't know about Solid Converter... Jul 3, 2012

...but what works for me nearly 100% is ABBYY Fine Reader.

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
PdfGrabber Jul 3, 2012

I also prefer FineReader if it is necessary to adjust the recognition areas manually on each page; but if the pdf file is smooth enough, this solution has alwys worked for me to convert automatically:

http://www.pdfgrabber.com/

Antonin

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not a panacea Jul 4, 2012

In my experience SolidConverter isn't great with watermarked or scanned PDFs. My friend uses Omnipage with Trados and it seems to work out for him.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

PDF conversion

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »