Thread poster: Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:18
Member (2015)
German to English
Jul 4, 2012

Can anybody recommend a good desktop search engine that will also index the sdl XLIFF files?

Simon Willmott
Simon Willmott  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:18
Member (2010)
German to English
+ ...
Larry's Any Text Indexer Jul 4, 2012

I use Google Desktop in conjunction with the add-in that allows it to index plain text files (sdlxliff, ttx, tmx, and so on) called Larry's Any Text File Indexer: http://www.trivex.net/ (second one down).

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
No Google Desktop Search Jul 4, 2012

Google Desktop Search is no longer available from Google. If you want to use it (I use it with Windows XP) you'll have to find the installer program (about 2 MB) somewhere else.

Oliver

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Copernic Jul 4, 2012

Has various versions but the free one works quite well
http://www.copernic.com/en/products/desktop-search/home/download.html

[Edited at 2012-07-04 23:46 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Filehippo Jul 5, 2012

Oliver Walter wrote:
Google Desktop Search is no longer available from Google. If you want to use it (I use it with Windows XP) you'll have to find the installer program (about 2 MB) somewhere else.

Filehippo still has it.

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 14:18
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Google Desktop Search and Privacy Issues Jul 5, 2012

Yesterday I installed Google Desktop Search and let it index my files. However as soon as I discovered an intensive outbound network activity I immediately stopped the indexing, and in fact the network activity immediately stopped too. So I removed the software from the computer and will probably go back to Copernic. Was Google Desktop Search sending my files to its own servers?

[Edited at 2012-07-05 23:58 GMT]

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Copernic Desktop Search Jul 6, 2012

I would also suggest Copernic Desktop Search. I have tried them all and keep coming back to CDS because of its great UI.

However, if the files you want to index are much bigger than around 6MB, I would recommend cutting them up into smaller chunks for easier indexing/viewing. Many search programs choke on largish files.

Many people swear by dtSearch, but I think it's hideously ugly and not at all user friendly.

Michael

[Edited at 2012-07-06 00
... See more
I would also suggest Copernic Desktop Search. I have tried them all and keep coming back to CDS because of its great UI.

However, if the files you want to index are much bigger than around 6MB, I would recommend cutting them up into smaller chunks for easier indexing/viewing. Many search programs choke on largish files.

Many people swear by dtSearch, but I think it's hideously ugly and not at all user friendly.

Michael

[Edited at 2012-07-06 00:18 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Privacy with Google Desktop Search Jul 6, 2012

Mario Cerutti wrote:

Was Google Desktop Search sending my files to its own servers?

--> Wikipedia, Google Desktop Search, "Privacy"

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Copernic Jul 6, 2012

Yes, I use Copernic too, I love the preview function. I discovered I'd mistyped the file ending which is why I wasn't getting any hits.

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
Finnish to French
Copernic vs. dtSearch Jul 8, 2012

Michael Beijer wrote:

I'm one of the people who swear by dtSearch
I don't care about the sexiness of the interface (or implied lack thereof) in a search program, I'm interested in the sheer power.
If the original poster only needs to index SDLXLIFF files, maybe Copernic is fine. If (s)he also needs to index large TMX files, PDF's etc., Copernic can't match the versatility of dtSearch.

Another search software similar to dtSearch (feature-wize), but cheaper, is Archivarius 3000.

Although it doesn't index, ApSIC Xbench should also be quite good at searching SDLXLIFF files.

Sergei Tumanov
Sergei Tumanov  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:18
English to Russian
+ ...
archivarius 3000 Jul 8, 2012

http://www.likasoft.com/document-search/

I vote for it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Desktop search engine

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »