could you please recommend me a free XML Editor?
Thread poster: Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:42
Member (2010)
English to French
SITE LOCALIZER
Jul 10, 2012

Hello,

Well, I am sorry, this is probably not the right forum for this topic,

I translate from time to time small XML files, I used to work with SERNA, an open source product.
Unfortunately, now it crashes with an error message since the beginning though I downloaded it a few times.

If someone could recommend me another free XML editor?

Thanks a lot, and have a good day
... See more
Hello,

Well, I am sorry, this is probably not the right forum for this topic,

I translate from time to time small XML files, I used to work with SERNA, an open source product.
Unfortunately, now it crashes with an error message since the beginning though I downloaded it a few times.

If someone could recommend me another free XML editor?

Thanks a lot, and have a good day

Marie
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Possible editors Jul 10, 2012

Hello Marie,
theoretically, you can use Windows Notepad.

My editor of choice is Notepad++. It's free and rich in great editing features.

aaron9l8i
aaron9l8i
Local time: 03:42
free xml editor Jul 10, 2012

Hi think many of the free editors are quite basic but Notepad++ or Xerces are okay, full its here showing free xml editors.

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:42
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Not clear Jul 10, 2012

It’s not really clear, what for do you need such a program. Anyway, try jEdit with XML plugin (note, it requires in turn a couple of other plugins, read the page carefully).

[Edited at 2012-07-10 14:01 GMT]

Dieezah
Dieezah
Martinique
French to English
+ ...
You don't need an editor Jul 10, 2012

You can use notepad to edit these files (I do all the time since I am a 3d creator in my spare time, on a virtual world which uses them as base files for their virtual products)... All you have to do is make sure you select All files (*.*) as file type and that you type the extension after typing the file name in the name field (so if your file original name is Cabri, you have to type Cabri.xml before saving it and it will still work properly)

Madeleine Chevassus
Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
thanks a lot Jul 10, 2012

I'll try the programs you recommend, thank you,

In fact I translate XML under Studio 2009, however in this context I have no means to figure out if the lines proposed for translation by Studio come from "text" .."/text" or "comments" "/comments" etc.

So I use in parallel the XML editor to visualize / print in a nice manner - with indentations - the full XML file content. This method is awkward, but it works; it is valid for small texts only.

Normally there
... See more
I'll try the programs you recommend, thank you,

In fact I translate XML under Studio 2009, however in this context I have no means to figure out if the lines proposed for translation by Studio come from "text" .."/text" or "comments" "/comments" etc.

So I use in parallel the XML editor to visualize / print in a nice manner - with indentations - the full XML file content. This method is awkward, but it works; it is valid for small texts only.

Normally there should be a means (DTD) to filter only the "text" .."/text" content from Studio 2009 XML input. I don't know where to learn it.

Have a good day!

Marie
Collapse

zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
free XML editor Jul 25, 2012

I used XML Notepad 2007 and I like it quite a lot. Its free of charge. Hopefully you like it too

Viktor

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

could you please recommend me a free XML Editor?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »