Translation workflow software
Thread poster: zigzum
zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
Local time: 01:21
Jul 25, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I finally got to the point, where I need to use workflow management software, preferably one where the translator (myself) and the client can have separate log-ins. I am aware of ProWorkFlow,Transflow and Projetex, but they are not suitable for me. The best would be, if they could be on-line based. My idea is so that my client will be able to log-in to a website where he/she would be able to see the progress of their translation, see who is working on it, how long,
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I finally got to the point, where I need to use workflow management software, preferably one where the translator (myself) and the client can have separate log-ins. I am aware of ProWorkFlow,Transflow and Projetex, but they are not suitable for me. The best would be, if they could be on-line based. My idea is so that my client will be able to log-in to a website where he/she would be able to see the progress of their translation, see who is working on it, how long, speed of translation etc. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

Thank you in advance

Viktor Grigorov
Zigzum.eu
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Why would you want that? Jul 25, 2012

zigzum wrote:
...my client will be able to log-in to a website where he/she would be able to see the progress of their translation, see who is working on it, how long, speed of translation etc...

Having somebody watching over my shoulder really annoys me. Which is why, despite the current cloudy virtual buzz, I don't work with online tools: the mere thought that anybody can track my work activity (or absence thereof) would make me feel like working in a sweatshop, with some kapo checking on me.

No no no. I work freelance and expect total freedom. We all know where such kind of light monitoring at first can lead.

Nobody needs to know my working hours, how fast or slow I am and how I work (first proof then rereading or straight final translation, all at once, in bursts, length of breaks, etc...).

Philippe

PS.: I disabled my geotracking feature on my phone too, just in case. Nobody needs to know where I am at any given time.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Complicated Jul 25, 2012

zigzum wrote:
The best would be, if they could be on-line based. My idea is so that my client will be able to log-in to a website where he/she would be able to see the progress of their translation, see who is working on it, how long, speed of translation etc. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Hi Viktor,
this would be quite complicated because the TMS would have to be linked to the tool the translator works with (to update translator's progress on-line) and, in addition to that, the tool would have to be a server-based one. So you may count on an investment including:
1. CAT server (between thousands and tens of thousands of euros)
2. If the CAT server requires Windows, then a Win server for an appropriate number of users (between thousands and tens of thousands of euros)
3. Custom programming to integrate the CAT server with your TMS

So this would be a huge investment and I am not quite sure about the benefits it would have. Moreover, I agree with what Philippe wrote about freelancing and freedom. Moreover, my experience is that most clients don't care about how and when the translation is being worked on, provided they get the result they want and they get it in time.

BTW, there is a very good Czech TMS, called QuaHill. If you have a specific idea, you may want to contact them.

[Upraveno: 2012-07-25 18:28 GMT]

zigzum
zigzum
Czech Republic
TOPIC STARTER
workflow Jul 25, 2012

Philippe: I guess I did not write this correctly. I had few clients who used to call me or e-mail me asking when the translation will be ready. So I was thinking if there was a simple workflow software - desktop based or online - that will show that the translation is not yet started - which will be visible by the file being there, ongoing, as the file is not yet there and done, as the file will appear there again. The user will be able to download the original file and the translated file inclu... See more
Philippe: I guess I did not write this correctly. I had few clients who used to call me or e-mail me asking when the translation will be ready. So I was thinking if there was a simple workflow software - desktop based or online - that will show that the translation is not yet started - which will be visible by the file being there, ongoing, as the file is not yet there and done, as the file will appear there again. The user will be able to download the original file and the translated file including the invoice...or...will be given the option to pay and as soon as he has paid, the file will be automatically sent to his e-mail.

Stanislav: Thank you, I will definitely look them up
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:21
Finnish to French
MemSource, XTM Cloud, Text United Jul 26, 2012

zigzum wrote:
I finally got to the point, where I need to use workflow management software, preferably one where the translator (myself) and the client can have separate log-ins. I am aware of ProWorkFlow,Transflow and Projetex, but they are not suitable for me. The best would be, if they could be on-line based. My idea is so that my client will be able to log-in to a website where he/she would be able to see the progress of their translation, see who is working on it, how long, speed of translation etc. Any suggestions will be very much appreciated

The underlined part of the quote is by me.

Have you had a look at MemSource Cloud, XTM Cloud or Text United? They are all online-based and may meet your requirements.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation workflow software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »