Experiences with document management systems (DMS)?
Thread poster: Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:36
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Oct 11, 2012

Dear colleagues,

I'm beginning to think that a document management system (DMS) software might help me to keep track of my correspondence. I would be grateful if you could share your experiences.

I'd be looking for software that would allow me to scan incoming correspondence, store them, and allow me to retrieve them with a good search function. It shouldn't be overly expensive. I'm using a PC with Win7.

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Er
... See more
Dear colleagues,

I'm beginning to think that a document management system (DMS) software might help me to keep track of my correspondence. I would be grateful if you could share your experiences.

I'd be looking for software that would allow me to scan incoming correspondence, store them, and allow me to retrieve them with a good search function. It shouldn't be overly expensive. I'm using a PC with Win7.

Many thanks in advance,
kind regards,
Erik

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-11 09:20 GMT]

[Bearbeitet am 2012-10-11 09:20 GMT]
Collapse

Daniel Bird
Daniel Bird  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:36
German to English
Not terrifically sophisticated... Oct 11, 2012

... I use a three-column spreadsheet cell A1 = date A2 = hyperlink to the scanned or otherwise stored doc A3 = a string of keywords that I type in relating to the doc. Search using Ctrl-F within the spreadsheet. Keep the spreadsheet on desktop or otherwise handy. I have binned reams of old paper documents thanks to this simple dodge. Be sure to scan/store to a single directory that’s included in your backup.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:36
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Oct 13, 2012

Many thanks, Daniel. Sounds like a good system. However, that's not exactly what I was looking for. This thread doesn't attract much attention, so this may be a sign that not many people actually use this kind of system.

Kind regards,
Erik

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Experiences with document management systems (DMS)?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »