Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:09
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jan 25, 2013

G'day everyone

I've tried to move over to TO3000 a few times but I really hated it. I wonder if anyone else had also tried it and ended up hating it.

I'd like to hear from you about the negative points that you experienced with TO3000... so that when I try to use it again, I will have a list of things to keep in mind to ignore.

Or, did any of you try to use TO3000 for a while and found it unsuitable for your purposes? Why?

Thanks
Samuel

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
English to French
+ ...
User UNfriendly Jan 25, 2013

I have installed a trial version a few times. Each time, I found it so unser unfriendly, so complicated to use, so unclear, that I uninstalled it before the trial period was over.

Paula Hernández
Paula Hernández
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:09
English to Spanish
+ ...
My case Jan 25, 2013

I tried it a few times too and found it too complex and not very user-friendly for my freelance needs.

Alex Lago
Alex Lago  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
I use it Jan 25, 2013

Hi Samuel

Why did you hate it, I used it and while it could certainly be a lot better I see no actual reason to hate it.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
A Projetex user here Jan 25, 2013

I've been using Projetex (a fully-fledged version of TO3000 intended for agencies; I outsource some jobs too) since 2006 and have found it extremely helpful and in fact very easy to use. Sure, you need an hour or two to find your way around the software.

I use a "one database, three workstations setup". I keep the database on my home-based server and use other three machines to connect to the database. So among keeping track of my projects, this helps me keep all my project files sy
... See more
I've been using Projetex (a fully-fledged version of TO3000 intended for agencies; I outsource some jobs too) since 2006 and have found it extremely helpful and in fact very easy to use. Sure, you need an hour or two to find your way around the software.

I use a "one database, three workstations setup". I keep the database on my home-based server and use other three machines to connect to the database. So among keeping track of my projects, this helps me keep all my project files synchronized and up-to-date when working out. No virtual drives in the cloud, just my own machines.
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Hedwig Spitzer (X)  Identity Verified
Peru
French to Spanish
+ ...
Me too at first but... Jan 25, 2013

Now I use the lighter version, much more user friendly and easy to setup. What annoyed me with the "regular" version was the number of unnecessary options important for agencies maybe but not for me. True, it is a limited version but it fits my needs.

Good luck and nice weekend!

Hedwig

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:09
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
+ 1 Jan 25, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:

G'day everyone

I've tried to move over to TO3000 a few times but I really hated it. I wonder if anyone else had also tried it and ended up hating it.

I gave up completely. I don't use it at all.

Regards,

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Same here Jan 25, 2013

JL01 wrote:

I have installed a trial version a few times. Each time, I found it so unser unfriendly, so complicated to use, so unclear, that I uninstalled it before the trial period was over.

Really unfriendly in my opinion

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:09
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
On the contrary, I love it. Jan 25, 2013

I always delivered my invoices late, as for me, it was a nightmare, and a waste of timem to prepare the invoices. Now, before I start working in the project, I spent 5 minutes to input the information in TO3000, and when I finish, with a couple of clics I have the invoice ready to be submitted to my client. Besides, it tells me how much money I have earned, how much I've spent, which are my most valuable clients...

... See more
I always delivered my invoices late, as for me, it was a nightmare, and a waste of timem to prepare the invoices. Now, before I start working in the project, I spent 5 minutes to input the information in TO3000, and when I finish, with a couple of clics I have the invoice ready to be submitted to my client. Besides, it tells me how much money I have earned, how much I've spent, which are my most valuable clients...

Regards

Clarisa
Collapse

Ulf Samuelsson
Ulf Samuelsson  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 03:09
Member (2007)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Not easy to learn Jan 25, 2013

It is a bit difficult to figure out how it works, but now I've used it for a few years and I find it very easy to use after all the configurations have been made.
That's the hump that you'll have to get over, but after that it is a very useful tool to keep track of projects and invoices. It took about a day to set it up, but now it saves me time every week.

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
No option for proforma invoices Jan 25, 2013

I gave up on TO300 for two reasons; one because I found it impossible to use, and two because it would not allow me to create proforma invoices, indispensable if you want to avoid paying VAT not yet received from the customer.

In a word, awful. DaneaEasyFatt suits my purposes much better.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
I gave up too Jan 25, 2013

I once downloaded a trial version. But then I found the tool really too complicated and not userfriendly at all, so I decided I'd rather spend my time just like before preparing my invoices (which precisely I wanted to avoid) than spend the same amount of time fiddling around with TO3000.

I didn't hate it, I thought maybe it's my own dimness, but I was surprised to read every now and then that there are many colleagues that apparently are happy with it. There must be something I d
... See more
I once downloaded a trial version. But then I found the tool really too complicated and not userfriendly at all, so I decided I'd rather spend my time just like before preparing my invoices (which precisely I wanted to avoid) than spend the same amount of time fiddling around with TO3000.

I didn't hate it, I thought maybe it's my own dimness, but I was surprised to read every now and then that there are many colleagues that apparently are happy with it. There must be something I didn't gather!

[Bearbeitet am 2013-01-25 19:31 GMT]
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
Surprised Jan 26, 2013

I'm surprised at some of the comments. I'm not sure how I manage without it. I certainly wouldn't want to be preparing invoices manually. Though I do use AutoHotKey to speed things up, I reckon even without AutoHotKey I can prepare an invoice in about 60 seconds.

I'll admit it's not perfect, but is far better than doing everything manually and ensures you can't forget about any invoices or payments.

Regarding pro-forma invoices, since your invoice dates are your payment
... See more
I'm surprised at some of the comments. I'm not sure how I manage without it. I certainly wouldn't want to be preparing invoices manually. Though I do use AutoHotKey to speed things up, I reckon even without AutoHotKey I can prepare an invoice in about 60 seconds.

I'll admit it's not perfect, but is far better than doing everything manually and ensures you can't forget about any invoices or payments.

Regarding pro-forma invoices, since your invoice dates are your payment dates, could you not just treat the "payments" page as an invoices page? I believe you can export a "Payment" to Word, so you could place an invoice template in your "Payments" template folder.

TO3000 is so flexible you can even do lots of things it wasn't designed to do. For instance, one of my invoice templates is actually for printing envelopes. If I need to print an envelope I just open up one of the invoices for a client, select "Envelope" as the invoice template and then export it to Word, and I have a ready-to-print envelope (with my logo) with the client's address automatically inserted.
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Didn't do what I expected it to do Jan 26, 2013

I've had it a few years but found it incredibly difficult to use and no real user manuals or help available out there. The TO3000 team were helpful at first, as were colleagues on ProZ forums, but after a while I was told that any more help from the team would be chargeable - which made me very cross when it was impossible to work out the full capabilities of the programme on your own - well, I certainly found it so! There was supposed to be a presentation on the software at the Rome ProZ confer... See more
I've had it a few years but found it incredibly difficult to use and no real user manuals or help available out there. The TO3000 team were helpful at first, as were colleagues on ProZ forums, but after a while I was told that any more help from the team would be chargeable - which made me very cross when it was impossible to work out the full capabilities of the programme on your own - well, I certainly found it so! There was supposed to be a presentation on the software at the Rome ProZ conference a few years ago, but the presenters had flight problems and couldn't make it, so that opportunity went by as well.

I do still use it, but more from a statistical and keeping track of incoming work way. I found it impossible to customise my invoices and much easier in fact to stick to my tried and trusted Excel system and a manual register of payments outstanding. I'm glad to hear that it's just not me!

[Edited at 2013-01-26 11:46 GMT]
Collapse

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
And another thing... Jan 26, 2013

Another thing it doesn't do that I expected it to - or perhaps it does but it's not apparent to me how you do it! - is enable you to create reports. I like to draw up annual statistics at the end of the tax year on how much work I've done for each client, which languages, how many words and how much I've billed them for in total. You would have thought this would be a simple thing to do once all the information is in the system, but I cannot work out how to do it! It wasn't so bad the first year... See more
Another thing it doesn't do that I expected it to - or perhaps it does but it's not apparent to me how you do it! - is enable you to create reports. I like to draw up annual statistics at the end of the tax year on how much work I've done for each client, which languages, how many words and how much I've billed them for in total. You would have thought this would be a simple thing to do once all the information is in the system, but I cannot work out how to do it! It wasn't so bad the first year, when there was only the relevant information in the system, but how to pinpoint custom date ranges and produce a report of the requisite information in future years? In the end, I gave up and extracted the financial information from Microsoft Money instead (which is incredibly easy to use in contrast and I was able to work it out for myself, no need to ask for help, or attend a course!). I then work out the remaining information approximately backwards by dividing the rate by the number of words (although this doesn't allow for discounting for repetitions and 100% matches or urgency surcharges), but surely this kind of information should be easily accessible from TO-3000?Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Does anyone hate TO3000?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »