Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:58
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Mar 29, 2015

One of my favourite tools for translators, and one that is developing at an astronomical pace is called "TransTools" (http://www.translatortools.net/ ). Its developer, Stanislav, just added yet another amazing feature called "Correctomatic", which makes me think it will soon be able to do everything that PerfectIT can do, and more.

I hope he doesn't mind if I paste most of the latest Translat
... See more
One of my favourite tools for translators, and one that is developing at an astronomical pace is called "TransTools" (http://www.translatortools.net/ ). Its developer, Stanislav, just added yet another amazing feature called "Correctomatic", which makes me think it will soon be able to do everything that PerfectIT can do, and more.

I hope he doesn't mind if I paste most of the latest Translator Tools Newsletter (#26 - March 29, 2015) here:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Correctomatic – new tool for correcting words and phrases

Correctomatic is a quality assurance tool designed to search documents for words/phrases defined in correction lists and correct them quickly and easily. Using Correctomatic, you can perform a number of things, including:

• Check your documents for consistency with a style guide. Most style guides provide correct spellings for some words, or preferential spellings for words that can be written in different ways. This can be a corporate style guide or a public style guide, e.g., the Economist style guide, Chicago Manual of Style, Guardian and Observer Style Guide, etc. For example, the words “adviser” and “advisor” are both correct, but Guardian and Observer Style Guide requires you to use “adviser”.

• Use a specific dialect of a language throughout a document. For example, you can use Correctomatic to “convert” a document from British English to American English, etc.

• Find potential errors that are not detectable with the spellchecker. Every language has words that are spelled similarly but have differences in meaning. For example, in British the words “dependent” (adjective) and “dependant” (noun) have different meaning, but you cannot rely on the spellchecker to help you. Typos like “manger” instead of “manager” or “it's” instead of “its” are sometimes difficult to detect, too.

• Find potential translation errors. In specific fields of knowledge, translators tend to make the same mistakes. There are also a lot of “false translator friends” in different language pairs.

some_text

When you open Correctomatic, you can choose any number of correction lists in order to check the current document. If the document contains any words/phrases from selected lists, you are presented with search results. For each result, you can use the replacement text suggested by the tool (which comes from a correction list), modify the replacement text, or simply uncheck the item if you don't want to perform the correction. If a certain word/phrase should be replaced when it appears in a specific meaning or context, you can attach a special note to its correction list entry and all search results coming from such an entry will contain a special notification to help you make a decision prior to correction. Finally, when you have reviewed all search results and checked the items you would like to correct, you click a button to correct the document.

You can define your own correction lists or use several built-in correction lists which include:

• [TransTools] British English - American English
This list contains over 1000 entries to help you “convert” documents written in British English to American English.
• [TransTools] American English - British English
Contains over 300 entries to help you “convert” documents written in American English to British English. This list does not contain entries for correction of -ize endings to -ise endings because some British English dictionaries treat -ize endings as normal (more information).
• [TransTools] Commonly confused English words
This correction list will detect English words that are most frequently confused with other words which have similar spelling (e.g., “manger” vs “manager”, “loose” vs “lose”, etc.). This list is compiled on the basis of several publicly available lists.

Correction lists can be edited inside Correctomatic or in Microsoft Excel (using a downloadable template).
Correctomatic is well-suited for languages with strong inflection: a correction list entry can be configured to match at the beginning of a word/phrase or anywhere in a word/phrase, and the custom matching mode allows the use of * and ? wildcards.

Correctomatic should be indispensable for translators and proofreaders alike.

Correctomatic is included in TransTools Professional Edition, but can be evaluated for 45 days free of charge. You can read about the tool in more detail here.

To test the updated tool, download and install the new version of TransTools."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Collapse

JaneD
JaneD  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 13:58
Member (2009)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Interesting! Mar 29, 2015

Thanks for the tip, Michael - this actually sounds really interesting.

I'm particularly curious about the errors that can't be picked up by a spell checker. I've noticed that when I do mistype something it's almost always this kind of word, which of course means that if I don't happen to spot it the spell checker doesn't help!

Shai Navé
Shai Navé  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 14:58
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Thank you for sharing Mar 29, 2015

Thank you for sharing, Michael.

TransTools is quickly becoming a very robust toolbox, indispensable even.

I just hope that anyone using it or similar tools charges the client for the extra time and effort involved in preparing and/or cleaning up the document.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Correctomatic! (new in TransTools)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »