Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:33
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Great! I want it! Aug 30, 2015

Spaddock wrote:

We have not encountered that problem ourselves (because we always start with a proper draft written by a qualified science writer), but if this is a frequent problem, we can easily add this functionality to MAX and let the regex run all across the text and provide best matches together with a likelihood score.

That would be excellent, and I'd certainly buy such an app (while its current functionality is of no use to me, or most other translators, I suppose).

Spaddock wrote:
How sure could we be that the acronym is indeed found spelled out somewhere in the text? Is it possible that the author never mentions it? Would it, therefore, make sense to add an internet search (based on the content of the text) to see what else it could mean?

In my experience, the chances that an acronym is spelled out somewhere in the text are somewhere around 90%.

A context based internet search could be a good idea, but for starters, I'll be happy with the (much more reliable) search within the actual text.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-08-30 09:27 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Spaddock Aug 30, 2015

Spaddock wrote:
We have not encountered that problem ourselves (because we always start with a proper draft written by a qualified science writer), but if this is a frequent problem, we can easily add this functionality to MAX and let the regex run all across the text and provide best matches together with a likelihood score.

Your tool is designed for documents that have already been "fixed" by an editor (or that were written by authors who did not neglect to write full forms and acronyms together). The original poster wanted a tool that the editor would use to fix a text written by someone who did neglect it, or that a translator would use to translate such a text.

How sure could we be that the acronym is indeed found spelled out somewhere in the text?

You can't be sure of that. That is what software is for. The software helps prevent the translator/editor from having to manually search the text to see if the author had perhaps spelled out the acronym elsewhere in the text.

Is it possible that the author never mentions it?

Yes, precisely, that is very real risk. The software would help the translator by letting him know very quickly if the full form likely does not occur elsewhere in the text, thus saving the translator from needlessly going looking for it.

Would it, therefore, make sense to add an internet search (based on the content of the text) to see what else it could mean?

That is the usual last resort, yes. But an internet search can only show you what other authors used the acronym for, and then you have to make an educated guess as to whether your author and that author had used the acronym for the same thing.

Mark
Mark
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
PerfectIt Sep 15, 2016

Another forum user in another thread pointed out this package. They also provide a couple of free add-ons/apps and one of them seems to do this job:

http://www.intelligentediting.com/products-pricing/abbreviation-list/

demondragon
demondragon
France
"There's an app for that" https://listofacronyms.com Nov 8, 2022

Hi,

I realize this is an old question but since no satisfying answer has been provided (the free add-on mentioned above seems to be extinct) I thought I'd chime in with tool I just created.

https://listofacronyms.com

It's on the web so it should work on any operating system, but it does its acronym and definition "extraction" locally on your computer so you can also be co
... See more
Hi,

I realize this is an old question but since no satisfying answer has been provided (the free add-on mentioned above seems to be extinct) I thought I'd chime in with tool I just created.

It's on the web so it should work on any operating system, but it does its acronym and definition "extraction" locally on your computer so you can also be confident that the content of your document won't end up in someone else's hands.

It finds acronyms broadly so there will likely be more than the ones you want but the cost of deleting a false positive (one click) feels justified compared to the impact of potentially missing acronyms in your text.

It will also attempt to fill the list with each acronym's definition provided it was written down the first time the acronym is used, like so:

"A central processing unit (CPU) is..."

Let me know if it doesn't help! (And if it's close to being helpful let me know what's missing )
Collapse

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:33
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
very useful! Nov 8, 2022

demondragon wrote:

Hi,

It's on the web so it should work on any operating system, but it does its acronym and definition "extraction" locally on your computer so you can also be confident that the content of your document won't end up in someone else's hands.

It finds acronyms broadly so there will likely be more than the ones you want but the cost of deleting a false positive (one click) feels justified compared to the impact of potentially missing acronyms in your text.

It will also attempt to fill the list with each acronym's definition provided it was written down the first time the acronym is used, like so:

"A central processing unit (CPU) is..."

Let me know if it doesn't help! (And if it's close to being helpful let me know what's missing )

I've added a link to your website on my wiki: https://termhotel.com/Abbreviation_management_and_search

Michael

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Acronym Extraction/Mining Software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »