Thread poster: Paris Brooker
Paris Brooker
Paris Brooker  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
Turkish to English
Jul 2, 2015

Hi,

What's the best, most efficient way to translate an inDesign file? I am aware of copyflow gold, but the software is pretty pricey, and I'm wondering if there are any alternatives.

Thanks in advance

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:32
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
SDL Trados Studio Jul 3, 2015

I regularly translate Indesign files for clients using Trados. You don't even need to have Indesign installed on your computer. The client just needs to send you an idml file which you can load into Trados. After loading, translation is similar to translating any file of other formats like Word or Excel. You can return the translation as a Studio Return Package, which the client will be able to open and generate the translated Indesign file at his end.

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:02
German to Spanish
Any CAT Jul 3, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:

I regularly translate Indesign files for clients using Trados. You don't even need to have Indesign installed on your computer. The client just needs to send you an idml file which you can load into Trados. After loading, translation is similar to translating any file of other formats like Word or Excel. You can return the translation as a Studio Return Package, which the client will be able to open and generate the translated Indesign file at his end.

Any CAT do that, in fact I get very reasonable results with the free (freeware) OmegaT.

Regards

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating / Localizing an inDesign file

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »