Indesign help: lost on how deliver .indd/.idml
Thread poster: Word Geek
Word Geek
Word Geek
France
French to English
Nov 18, 2015

Very very new to Indesign and at a bit of a loss... my normally adept googling has hit a wall.

Here's the breakdown, very grateful for any advice:

- I received an Indesign project in 'package' form for a translation job (with subfolders: Document fonts, Links, a mystery file, and the actual .indd file)
- In order to carry out the translation, I had to export to .idml and use Trados to translate. That part went fine!
- Now I have a COMPLETELY MODIFIED .indd
... See more
Very very new to Indesign and at a bit of a loss... my normally adept googling has hit a wall.

Here's the breakdown, very grateful for any advice:

- I received an Indesign project in 'package' form for a translation job (with subfolders: Document fonts, Links, a mystery file, and the actual .indd file)
- In order to carry out the translation, I had to export to .idml and use Trados to translate. That part went fine!
- Now I have a COMPLETELY MODIFIED .indd file, post-Trados export.
- I'm hoping to somehow replace all the text from the prior .indd project with the new text in my .idml

The file opens fine in Indesign and I can save it as an .indd, my issue is I hoped to send back to the client the same package they sent to me (with subfolders: Document fonts, Links, a mystery file, and the actual .indd file), but as I understand it, the .idml file does NOT contain all this info.

Thanks in advance for your help...

Daniel
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 15:15
German to Swedish
+ ...
Like this Nov 18, 2015

IDML is a format that enables file interchange between different versions of Indesign.
As such, it has nothing to do with translation, but since it's an XML file it can be used in CAT tools.
It contains info about styling, layout, text and so on, but it's not a standalone file.

When a designer receives an IDML file, (s)he opens it and saves it as an ordinary .indd file.

So what you do with your translated IDML file is open it in Indesign save it as .indd in
... See more
IDML is a format that enables file interchange between different versions of Indesign.
As such, it has nothing to do with translation, but since it's an XML file it can be used in CAT tools.
It contains info about styling, layout, text and so on, but it's not a standalone file.

When a designer receives an IDML file, (s)he opens it and saves it as an ordinary .indd file.

So what you do with your translated IDML file is open it in Indesign save it as .indd in the same folder as the original IDML and .indd files (with the Links folder and so on).

Then open the new .indd file and check that the images link correctly to the "Links" folder.
(You will probably also discover that your nice translation doesn't fit into the layout!)

That should be it - your deliverable is the original folder with an updated .indd file, created from your translated IDML.

By the way, if you're this new to Indesign you really shouldn't undertake to deliver finished Indesign files. There are a vast amount of typographic and other issues that can go wrong.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Indesign help: lost on how deliver .indd/.idml

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »