Can't get rid of Word 2013 add-in (WorkspaceForWord.dotm)
Thread poster: Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall
Peter Shortall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
Jan 9, 2016

I currently have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription including the 2013 version of Word, and Windows 8.

A few weeks ago, at a client's request and despite having reservations, I installed the Translation Workspace plugin for Word for a one-off translation project, which I downloaded from the Geoworkz website. Once I had installed it, I couldn't get it to work and kept getting error messages popping up repeatedly every time I opened and closed Word ("Run-time error '53': File not fou
... See more
I currently have a Microsoft Office 365 subscription including the 2013 version of Word, and Windows 8.

A few weeks ago, at a client's request and despite having reservations, I installed the Translation Workspace plugin for Word for a one-off translation project, which I downloaded from the Geoworkz website. Once I had installed it, I couldn't get it to work and kept getting error messages popping up repeatedly every time I opened and closed Word ("Run-time error '53': File not found: Logoport.dll"). In the end, I didn't use the program for the project as the client agreed I could use my own CAT instead. So I deleted from my computer the TWS files I had installed - I can't remember exactly how, but I think I either went into my Downloads folder and deleted the files from there, or maybe I did it by going into Programs, I can't remember where the TWS plugin was saved. Either way, I can't find it any more.

I thought that would stop the error messages appearing, but it didn't. Every time I open Word, the add-in appears on my ribbon to the right of DEVELOPER and I get three or four Error 53 messages, sometimes with a Word error message saying "Word experienced an error trying to open the file. Try these suggestions..." A further Error 53 message appears when I close Word. I can get rid of these messages by pressing "End", and they don't stop me using Word, but I would like this to stop happening.

I asked the client for advice, and was advised to go into File -> Options -> Add-Ins, then Word Add-Ins, and then disable the plugin manually. This does stop the error messages appearing if I then open a second Word document, and the add-in disappears from the ribbon, but only for the duration of my current Word session. If I exit Word and then reopen it, I am back to square one and the add-in and error messages come back.

Today I uninstalled Office 365 from my laptop and reinstalled it, but even that didn't get rid of the plugin. It's persistent, I'll give it that! Does anyone know how I can fix this? Sadly I'm no good at fixing software problems.
Collapse

Peter Shortall
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 9, 2016

I just figured it out. Word told me where the add-in (.dotm) was, but it was in my AppData folder, which I couldn't access as it was hidden. So I found out how to make the AppData folder visible by going through Control Panel and Folder Options, then View -> Show hidden files/files/drives, and then I found and deleted the WorkspaceForWord.dotm file and that did the trick. Hurray!

Federica Fiorucci

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 22:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Handy for future reference Jan 10, 2016

Peter Shortall wrote:

I just figured it out. Word told me where the add-in (.dotm) was, but it was in my AppData folder, which I couldn't access as it was hidden. So I found out how to make the AppData folder visible by going through Control Panel and Folder Options, then View -> Show hidden files/files/drives, and then I found and deleted the WorkspaceForWord.dotm file and that did the trick. Hurray!

Thanks for posting that. Even though I won't be installing Office 2013 soon, unless I'm dragged into it kicking and screaming, this is the type of simple information that can take forever to find on official websites and FAQs.

Peter Shortall
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Office 2013 Jan 10, 2016

neilmac wrote:

Peter Shortall wrote:

Thanks for posting that. Even though I won't be installing Office 2013 soon, unless I'm dragged into it kicking and screaming, this is the type of simple information that can take forever to find on official websites and FAQs.

You're welcome, Neil. And although I'm normally reluctant to upgrade to the latest software if I'm happy with what I've got (I stuck with Office 2007 for 6 years), I have to say that I quite like Word 2013. In case you haven't trialled it, one particularly useful function I discovered is the new Find function. When you want to search for a word or phrase in your text and hit Ctrl + F, a large box appears on the left-hand side of the screen with a list of all instances of that word/phrase in your text plus a bit of the surrounding context for each of them, and you can jump to any instance by clicking on it inside the box. This is very handy if you want to find or change just one instance of a particular word/phrase, rather than trawling through them all one by one until you find what you're looking for.

Not that I'm trying to "convert" you! There are a couple of aspects I'm not so keen on, aside from the obvious (annual subscription fee), e.g. I used to be able to align text inside cells in a table quickly and easily by right-clicking inside the cell and then choosing the alignment I wanted from the little menu that appeared beside the cursor, but now you have to use the Layout tab on the ribbon, so it takes an extra click and you have to move the cursor up to the top of the screen. This means it takes longer to adjust the alignment of several cells in different ways. It's not a major problem, but it's one of those little things I wish they hadn't meddled with!

I can't comment much on the other programs as I barely use them, apart from Excel, in which I haven't really noticed any big changes - just slightly different graphics.

[Edited at 2016-01-10 12:08 GMT]

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 17:34
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
%appdata% Jan 11, 2016

You can also quickly get into the AppData folder just by typing %appdata% into the address bar, without needing to show hidden files.

Peter Shortall
United Kingdom
Romanian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Getting into AppData Jan 11, 2016

John Fossey wrote:

You can also quickly get into the AppData folder just by typing %appdata% into the address bar, without needing to show hidden files.

Yes, I just tried it and that works too! Thanks John.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't get rid of Word 2013 add-in (WorkspaceForWord.dotm)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »