Working with other systems (non CAT tools) according to client request
Thread poster: Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth
Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:49
English to German
Sep 9, 2016

Recently I have come across requests to work with CMS, e.g. Wordpress or others as well as Smartling which I believe is used for websites.

As I am only familiar with a couple of CAT tools and usually only work with MS Office formats or similar, I would be very interested to find out whether it would be worth exploring these systems, do they support translation memory or glossaries. Do you work with them, accept such projects?

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:49
German to English
TYPO3 Sep 9, 2016

I work regularly with TYPO3, which is a pretty popular open source CMS in Germany. I'm not sure how popular it is elsewhere. It has a plug-in called the L10N-Manager, and you can use it to export sections of the website to be translated as .xml files, translate them in your CAT tool (I use memoQ), and then import them back into TYPO3. There are usually some formatting things that need to be fixed, but in general it is a huge help, especially when it comes to keeping things updated (you can set i... See more
I work regularly with TYPO3, which is a pretty popular open source CMS in Germany. I'm not sure how popular it is elsewhere. It has a plug-in called the L10N-Manager, and you can use it to export sections of the website to be translated as .xml files, translate them in your CAT tool (I use memoQ), and then import them back into TYPO3. There are usually some formatting things that need to be fixed, but in general it is a huge help, especially when it comes to keeping things updated (you can set it to only export the elements that have changed since you last exported).

I don't know whether other CMSs have similar plug-ins, but I can at least tell you that they do exist for at least one system, and it would be worth looking into if you are getting enough offers to translate website content from certain systems.
Collapse

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 9, 2016

The CMS systems I have been approached about so far are mainly Wordpress and Umbraco (once), I have never heard of TYPO 3, neither have I worked with any of these systems, however, it might be worth exploring Wordpress as it seems to be very popular, as long as it has such a plug-in.

Rita Translator
Rita Translator  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:49
German to English
WordPress Sep 9, 2016

Looks like it's fairly straightforward to export .xliff files with the WPML plug-in:
http://wplang.org/wordpress-localization-cat-tools/

Gabriele Demuth
United Kingdom
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Sep 9, 2016

That seems a a big step forward into the world of technology for me, but definitely worth exploring.

But not in time for today's Umbarco request!

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 15:49
English to Thai
+ ...
Worth of learning curves Sep 10, 2016

Gabriele Demuth wrote:

Recently I have come across requests to work with CMS, e.g. Wordpress or others as well as Smartling which I believe is used for websites.

As I am only familiar with a couple of CAT tools and usually only work with MS Office formats or similar, I would be very interested to find out whether it would be worth exploring these systems, do they support translation memory or glossaries. Do you work with them, accept such projects?

CMS like Wordpress is valuable for your to study and be familiar with new file formats. It is actually based on popular web browser formats e.g. HTML.
I enjoy working with unfamiliar formats when I have time, and decline in case of tight deadline or large volume where I cannot control translation quality or withhold the copyrights.

Soonthon L.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with other systems (non CAT tools) according to client request

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »