Trados or Catalyst for Help editing?
Thread poster: Jason Scotland
Jason Scotland
Jason Scotland
Local time: 03:32
English to French
Jun 5, 2007

Have been using Trados Tag Editor regularly for my Help work.

Any idea how this Catalyst tool compares with Tag Editor.

Cheers

Jason

CristianoM007
CristianoM007
English to Italian
CATALYST looks good, but only started using it myself.... Jun 5, 2007

Jason,

Only started my first project with it recently. It's really visual and works directly on the CHM file, which is a major plus.(less files to worry about). Also, the amount of tags is far less complex than using TagEditor which is my major TM.

Haven't figured out how to tranlsate the browse sequences yet so if you've any ideas on this one, please post a reply....

Cristiano

Owen Davies
Owen Davies
Japan
Local time: 11:32
Member (2007)
Japanese to English
+ ...
Localization Jun 6, 2007

Hi Jason,
I use both Trados and Catalyst in the office. Usually we use Catalyst to localize text strings for screen shots. For example it allows you to resize buttons on dialog screens when the text string doesn't quite fit.
Trados we use for the major languages for Help files and all other translations really. Then, if Catalyst is required, we just drop the TM/TTX files into Catalyst. It's a pretty powerful tool, and you can happily translate your Help files in it, but it's more use
... See more
Hi Jason,
I use both Trados and Catalyst in the office. Usually we use Catalyst to localize text strings for screen shots. For example it allows you to resize buttons on dialog screens when the text string doesn't quite fit.
Trados we use for the major languages for Help files and all other translations really. Then, if Catalyst is required, we just drop the TM/TTX files into Catalyst. It's a pretty powerful tool, and you can happily translate your Help files in it, but it's more useful (cost effective) if you're using it to fully localize a piece of software/website etc.
It's a good tool though and does a very useful WYSIWYG function that most translators find really helpful.
All the best
Owen
Collapse

CristianoM007
CristianoM007
English to Italian
Help Localization with Alchemy CATALYST Jun 6, 2007

Anyone know how to translate repetitions in one go with Alchemy CATALYST?

I'm using it to translate a CHM help file for a client. It's much easier to handle these file with Alchemy CATALYST than my usual TM tool, TagEditor, however, I'm finding I'm translating lots of repeating text over and over again.

Any ideas are welcomed,

Cristiano

Alchemy Support
Alchemy Support
Local time: 03:32
English
Translating Duplicates in Catalyst Jun 6, 2007

CristianoM007 wrote:

Anyone know how to translate repetitions in one go with Alchemy CATALYST?

I'm using it to translate a CHM help file for a client. It's much easier to handle these file with Alchemy CATALYST than my usual TM tool, TagEditor, however, I'm finding I'm translating lots of repeating text over and over again.

Any ideas are welcomed,

Cristiano

Hi Jason,

Please click on the link below and this will tell you how to translate duplicate strings in Catalyst.
http://www.alchemysoftware.ie/support/knowledgebase/howtotranslateduplicatestringsincatalyst.html

Best Regards,
Clement

cbcoti
cbcoti
Local time: 04:32
English to Danish
Catalyst, Trados, Passolo Jul 5, 2012

Owen,

We are going to evaluate tools, and I can't help being curious about why you use Trados and Catalyst - and not SDL Trados and Passolo or Alchemy Catalyst and Publisher?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados or Catalyst for Help editing?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »