http://lcl2.uniroma1.it/termextractor/index.jsp

from the Linguistic Computing Labratory in Italy

Petr Oliver
Petr Oliver  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:20
English to Czech
+ ...
Notes on using ExtPhr32 and AntConc as terminology extraction tools Nov 25, 2011

I tried using ExtPhr32 (recommended earlier ni this discussion) to extract terminology. It worked well, I could easily reduce the outcoming list of terms by defining my "stoplist" and "break set" TXT files. However, this tool has one major drawback for me - it uses the ISO 8859-1 character set where some important Czech characters are missing (ž, Ž, ť, Ť) - the first two exist also in Finnish, if I am not mistaken. So if I want to use the term list, I need to add these charactes manually. Tr... See more
I tried using ExtPhr32 (recommended earlier ni this discussion) to extract terminology. It worked well, I could easily reduce the outcoming list of terms by defining my "stoplist" and "break set" TXT files. However, this tool has one major drawback for me - it uses the ISO 8859-1 character set where some important Czech characters are missing (ž, Ž, ť, Ť) - the first two exist also in Finnish, if I am not mistaken. So if I want to use the term list, I need to add these charactes manually. Trying to specify them in the "additional letter set" didn't help either. Then I found there is a newer version ("ExtPhr33"), but the installation wizard froze twice in a row, so I gave up.

As to AntConc, it is slightly more complicated to learn to use and it doesn't display correctly if you are using different DPI (mine is 144 and I am still willing to keep it).
Collapse

Dan Slavoiu
Dan Slavoiu  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:20
English to Romanian
+ ...
Craven's - it doesn't work on Win7 Jul 25, 2012

David Turner wrote:

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Are there any free solutions on the Internet?

... is an excellent little freeware utility which "Extracts every word and every phrase up to a certain length that occurs at least a minimum number of times in a source text and that does not start or end with a stopword"

A English stopword list file is provided but you can find stopword lists for other languages on the Web.

http://publish.uwo.ca/~craven/freeware.htm

David Turner

It doesn't work on Win 7.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Java version works on Win7 Jul 25, 2012

Dan Slavoiu wrote:

It doesn't work on Win 7.

The Java version does work on Windows 7 (scroll down).

I wish there was a way to tell the program to output only the longest phrases.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Terminology extraction software

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »