Kim Marié
Kim Marié  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:40
English to French
+ ...
May 15, 2018

Hi there,

I'm currently doing my 2nd year of MA in Translation Studies and for my Annotated Translation Project, I have decided to use Audiovisual Translation since it is the field I plan on building my career towards. The issue is, for this project, I need a French film/documentary which has not yet been translated into English and is interesting enough for me to write a 13,000 word commentary about. Anybody knows of any French film/documentary not just yet translated and easy to
... See more
Hi there,

I'm currently doing my 2nd year of MA in Translation Studies and for my Annotated Translation Project, I have decided to use Audiovisual Translation since it is the field I plan on building my career towards. The issue is, for this project, I need a French film/documentary which has not yet been translated into English and is interesting enough for me to write a 13,000 word commentary about. Anybody knows of any French film/documentary not just yet translated and easy to access in the UK? Many thanks.

Kind Regards,
Kim Marié
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 09:40
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
You can search on the Internet. May 15, 2018

I don't understand "easy to access in the UK" part if you can search online? How would a French movie never translated into English be easily accessible in the UK? I would imagine such a movie to be very local for France (as it obviously never crossed the border toward English speaking regions).

Maybe contact a local French publisher, I would imagine they may have such data. Unless you want to look around the web on your own.

Kim Marié
Kim Marié  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Search online May 15, 2018

Thanks for your reply. I have searched online already and I still am. The few films I managed to find weren't interesting enough for this commentary. When I said "easily accessible", I meant that it could be available on medias such as Dailymotion or others, preferably. I did find a film a couple of weeks ago, but when I submitted it to my Lecturer we both realised that it was currently being shown at the local independent cinema that day, with English subtitles of course. I have contacted a few... See more
Thanks for your reply. I have searched online already and I still am. The few films I managed to find weren't interesting enough for this commentary. When I said "easily accessible", I meant that it could be available on medias such as Dailymotion or others, preferably. I did find a film a couple of weeks ago, but when I submitted it to my Lecturer we both realised that it was currently being shown at the local independent cinema that day, with English subtitles of course. I have contacted a few French publishers with no luck so far. Which is why I, lastly, decided to post on here, in order to get help from fellow translators or translators to-be.Collapse

Sylvano
Sylvano
English to French
Good luck... and be careful May 15, 2018

I'm not sure you will find such a thing. Or maybe material not yet released and/or old/rare stuff. Anyway, if you do, be careful, as by French laws, the auteurs/producers usually possess all rights on their work AND any translation of it. If you want to translate a film (recent or not), even with no commercial intentions, I think you have to be granted explicit authorization from them to do so. Though I'm not sure that's what you mean by 'commentary'. But if it's not a translation, what does it ... See more
I'm not sure you will find such a thing. Or maybe material not yet released and/or old/rare stuff. Anyway, if you do, be careful, as by French laws, the auteurs/producers usually possess all rights on their work AND any translation of it. If you want to translate a film (recent or not), even with no commercial intentions, I think you have to be granted explicit authorization from them to do so. Though I'm not sure that's what you mean by 'commentary'. But if it's not a translation, what does it matter whether it's already been translated or not? Oh, and by the way, I wouldn't recommend starting a career in audiovisual translation nowadays...Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Direct contact May 15, 2018

I'd suggest that you contact producers or smaller film makers instead of picking a movie from the Internet, mainly because you will have to get permission to translate it as not to infringe with any copyrights.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 10:40
Estonian to English
+ ...
distribution requirement May 18, 2018

English subtitles are also a distribution requirement for most documentaries - if they hope to sell it to foreign markets. Close to 100% of the material would have an English subtitle translation somewhere, even if it's in the archives of the distributor and not accessible to everyone over the Internet. Especially if it's a big distributor that sells its material internationally - 100% of those things come with an English translation (although you won't find the translation online, you can get h... See more
English subtitles are also a distribution requirement for most documentaries - if they hope to sell it to foreign markets. Close to 100% of the material would have an English subtitle translation somewhere, even if it's in the archives of the distributor and not accessible to everyone over the Internet. Especially if it's a big distributor that sells its material internationally - 100% of those things come with an English translation (although you won't find the translation online, you can get hold of it theoretically through someone in the distribution chain).
So yeah, the right way to go is to contact a small distributor or independent filmmaker, especially because of copyright laws.
Collapse

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
John of the Garden May 18, 2018

I can't find an English version of OSS Rio, sadly.

jbjb
jbjb  Identity Verified
Estonia
Local time: 10:40
Estonian to English
+ ...
dubbed? May 18, 2018

The 2009 film? Internet is full of English subtitles - are you looking for a dubbed version?

Georgie Scott
Georgie Scott  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
You talkin' to me? May 18, 2018

So it is, I wanted to introduce the family to it last Christmas but it turns out I'm rubbish at finding English versions of films online...

MK2010
MK2010  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
The first one May 19, 2018

Georgie Scott wrote:

So it is, I wanted to introduce the family to it last Christmas but it turns out I'm rubbish at finding English versions of films online...

set in Cairo is even funnier.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

French films/documentaries not yet translated into English

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »