Thread poster: patyjs
patyjs
patyjs  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 21, 2018

Hi, I am translating a piece on Vienna that begins with a quote from Mozart, "la música es el único camino hacia lo trascendente."

I have scoured Internet pages full of quotes but have come across nothing that remotely resembles it. Yet, if I search for the quote in Spanish I get thousands of hits.

It isn't that translating it would be problematic (hardly), but I do like to check that the versions of quotes I use are the most authentic. In this case, knowing whether
... See more
Hi, I am translating a piece on Vienna that begins with a quote from Mozart, "la música es el único camino hacia lo trascendente."

I have scoured Internet pages full of quotes but have come across nothing that remotely resembles it. Yet, if I search for the quote in Spanish I get thousands of hits.

It isn't that translating it would be problematic (hardly), but I do like to check that the versions of quotes I use are the most authentic. In this case, knowing whether to use "only way" or "only path," for example. It bothers me that I can't find it in English.

Paradoxically, another quote is given almost everywhere as, "The most necessary, most difficult and principal thing in music, that is time.” I was reasonably happy until I found one example which ended "...is tempo."

Argh...which to use?

Any ideas?

TIA
Collapse

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mozart did not write English Apr 22, 2018

Why would you expect to find it in English?

This is what he wrote: „Musik ist der einzige Weg zur Transzendenz“.

http://laubenrung.com/category/verschieden/12-beruhmte-satze-von-mozart.php

Joseph Tein
Joseph Tein  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:00
Member (2009)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Hard to find in English OR German Apr 22, 2018

You may have found thousands of hits in Spanish, but there are almost no hits for the German phrase I posted earlier... or for anything resembling it in English (as you said).

Here's one of very few: -- I would like to begin with a phrase from Mozart. “Music is the only way to the t
... See more
You may have found thousands of hits in Spanish, but there are almost no hits for the German phrase I posted earlier... or for anything resembling it in English (as you said).

Here's one of very few: -- I would like to begin with a phrase from Mozart. “Music is the only way to the transcendent.” This is in https://composerstoolbox.com/2017/08/13/the-social-impact-of-music-hector-mendoza/

I'm also finding this phrase: "Music is the only way to transcendence" (but just ONE instance in Bing). If I were translating the German, I also would use "way" where the German says "Weg".
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 13:00
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree with Joseph Apr 22, 2018

And "tempo" seems more appropriate than "time" in a musical context.

Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Kay-Viktor Stegemann
Germany
Local time: 13:00
English to German
In memoriam
This is not German Apr 22, 2018

Joseph Tein wrote:

Why would you expect to find it in English?

This is what he wrote: „Musik ist der einzige Weg zur Transzendenz“.

http://laubenrung.com/category/verschieden/12-beruhmte-satze-von-mozart.php

Joseph, I looked into the page you linked. The text there might look German, but it is not German. It is obviously some garbage output of machine translation into German. Therefore, the quote is definitely not an original quote in German, but most probably machine-translated from another language.

I think that the quote is probably a fake.

Edit: The second quote mentioned seems to be genuine: "Das Notwendigste und das Härteste und die Hauptsache in der Musik ist das Tempo." (The most necessary, the hardest and the most important thing in music is the tempo.)

[Edited at 2018-04-22 11:29 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mozart quote

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »