Difficult + unclear project/TM/GL organisation structure - WFP3 to WFP5 transition
Thread poster: Julia Mojik
Julia Mojik
Julia Mojik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:22
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
Sep 1, 2017

Hello,

as passionate WFP3 for Mac user for years I was excited to get to work with WFP4/5.

ISSUE after watching several training videos and working with WFP4 itself: The simple organisation structure changed with the transition form WFP 3 to 4/5.

PROJECT, TM and GL ORGANISATION structure remains top secret. (Note: I'm experienced with memoQ, memsource, word bee etc. all different kinds of CAT tools).

This is annoying because it costs valuable
... See more
Hello,

as passionate WFP3 for Mac user for years I was excited to get to work with WFP4/5.

ISSUE after watching several training videos and working with WFP4 itself: The simple organisation structure changed with the transition form WFP 3 to 4/5.

PROJECT, TM and GL ORGANISATION structure remains top secret. (Note: I'm experienced with memoQ, memsource, word bee etc. all different kinds of CAT tools).

This is annoying because it costs valuable life time and money.

Issue #1:
Where is the easy way to select storage location of projects when using the advanced project set up, instead of automatic storage under APPLICATIONS?! > PLEASE PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR MAC.

Issue #2:
What is an easy and reasonable way to set up storage organisation structure for TMs + GLs out of advanced set up wizard?! > PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES FOR MAC.

(A WFP4 training video suggested to save TMs BOTH under language specifications AND further project related specifications. Really? This equals 3rd organisation level that is actually not needed.)

Desperately looking for conclusive TECHNICAL answers that help to regularly use WFP4/5.

Simple help is much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Julia
Collapse

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Wiki article Sep 1, 2017

Hi Julia,

Have you read this article?
http://www.wordfast.net/w/index.php/Migrating_from_Wordfast_Pro_3_to_Wordfast_Pro_5

Hopefully this gives you the explanations you are looking for.

Make sure you have 5.1 installed because the simple/advanced wizards have now been merged into a single project creation windo
... See more
Hi Julia,

http://www.wordfast.net/w/index.php/Migrating_from_Wordfast_Pro_3_to_Wordfast_Pro_5

Make sure you have 5.1 installed because the simple/advanced wizards have now been merged into a single project creation window.

Kind regards,
John
Collapse

Julia Mojik
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please read my concrete queries and reply. Sep 1, 2017

John Di Rico wrote:

Hi Julia,

Make sure you have 5.1 installed because the simple/advanced wizards have now been merged into a single project creation window.

Kind regards,
John

Yes, I did. They don't include the answers to my concrete queries.

Please read my concrete queries and reply.

John Di Rico
John Di Rico  Identity Verified
France
Member (2006)
French to English
Clarifications Sep 1, 2017

Julia Mojik wrote:

Issue #1:
Where is the easy way to select storage location of projects when using the advanced project set up, instead of automatic storage under APPLICATIONS?! > PLEASE PROVIDE INSTRUCTION FOR MAC.

There is no longer an advanced project set up. You can choose where to save your project in the project creation window: https://www.screencast.com/t/YKlAmjVAS

Issue #2:
What is an easy and reasonable way to set up storage organisation structure for TMs + GLs out of advanced set up wizard?! > PLEASE PROVIDE EXAMPLES FOR MAC.
(A WFP4 training video suggested to save TMs BOTH under language specifications AND further project related specifications. Really? This equals 3rd organisation level that is actually not needed.)

Save TMs to a "TMs" folder and glossaries to a "Glossaries" folder. Make sure you use a standard naming convention when naming a TM or glossary. Make sure you back up the TM and Glossary folders regularly.
Each company/freelancer has different needs. Determine what yours are and keep it simple. Some people just use one TM and one glossary for everything. Super simple, though not ideal for sharing or managing client data.

Hope this clarifies,
John

Julia Mojik
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
This answers my questions Sep 1, 2017

John Di Rico wrote:

Julia Mojik wrote:

Issue #1:

There is no longer an advanced project set up. You can choose where to save your project in the project creation window: https://www.screencast.com/t/YKlAmjVAS

Issue #2:

Save TMs to a "TMs" folder and glossaries to a "Glossaries" folder. Make sure you use a standard naming convention when naming a TM or glossary. Make sure you back up the TM and Glossary folders regularly.
Each company/freelancer has different needs. Determine what yours are and keep it simple. Some people just use one TM and one glossary for everything. Super simple, though not ideal for sharing or managing client data.

Hope this clarifies,
John

THANK YOU!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difficult + unclear project/TM/GL organisation structure - WFP3 to WFP5 transition

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »