https://www.proz.com/forum/general_technical_issues/147788-is_it_perhaps_unprofessional_to_rely_on_a_paid_antivirus_firewall.html

Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?
Thread poster: Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:01
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 11, 2009

I used to use AVG Free Antivirus in combination with Comodo Personal Firewall ... and then I went and bought one of the paid variants. It only slowed down my computer and so I am now back to said time-tested FREE combo.

I wonder what your experiences are.

I actuall
... See more
I used to use AVG Free Antivirus in combination with Comodo Personal Firewall ... and then I went and bought one of the paid variants. It only slowed down my computer and so I am now back to said time-tested FREE combo.

I wonder what your experiences are.

I actually just finished removing a virus, caused by my PAID anti-virus/firewall, and so am left wondering whether it is maybe not just better to use FREE SOFTWARE.

I would be interested in hearing your arguments either in favour or against paying for protection.
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 18:01
English to Czech
+ ...
AVG... Oct 16, 2009

Hi Michael,
there are far better options than AVG. I've had very good experience with F-Secure. AVG often produces hoaxes and slows your machine down considerably.
Note: most antivirus systems already include a firewall today, so no need to install a separate one. Quite the opposite: installing two firewalls may be potentially dangerous because they often clash between each other.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is it perhaps unprofessional to rely on a PAID antivirus/firewall?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »