https://www.proz.com/forum/linguistics/114091-few_or_less_tescos_answer-page2.html

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]
Off topic: few or less ? Tesco's answer
Inițiatorul discuției: nordiste
Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 06:09
din franceză în engleză
+ ...
Hours Sep 9, 2008

Marjory Hord wrote:

On an assignment my translation students did from spanish, was the phrase "less/fewer than 24 hours later" and I indicated that "fewer" was correct much as several preferred less. I mean it is a count noun, right?

'Fewer' sounds wrong to me here. Hours are indeed countable, but it's most likely that the period of time indicated is counted in parts of hours rather than whole hours, so 'less than 24 hours later' works here.

Perhaps this generalises to all units of measurement - I'm not sure.

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 07:09
din suedeză în engleză
Re hours Sep 10, 2008

24 hours is a quantity, not a number. So, there you go, less than 24 hours is correct.

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
Regatul Unit
Local time: 06:09
din spaniolă în engleză
+ ...
time factors Sep 10, 2008

Marjory Hord wrote:

On an assignment my translation students did from spanish, was the phrase "less/fewer than 24 hours later" and I indicated that "fewer" was correct much as several preferred less. I mean it is a count noun, right?

I'm with Angela. For me, "Fewer than 24 hours" would imply 23 hours, 18 hours, 7 hours, 5 hours etc.

"Less than 24 hours" would mean any shorter amount of time, including minute divisions.

Număr de pagini:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

few or less ? Tesco's answer

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »