Translating App To Arabic
Thread poster: swinefeaster
Jun 1, 2011

I am working with an Arabic translator who is translating my localization file from english to arabic. My app is to help people learn languages.

Our problem is that the text keeps getting flipped around. It seems that some text editors (like Eclipse) blatantly do not support right-to-left text. And in some cases, the text is not flipped character by character, but word by word, or parts of the sentence get rearranged ... when copying from Microsoft Word back into the UTF-8 xml file.
... See more
I am working with an Arabic translator who is translating my localization file from english to arabic. My app is to help people learn languages.

Our problem is that the text keeps getting flipped around. It seems that some text editors (like Eclipse) blatantly do not support right-to-left text. And in some cases, the text is not flipped character by character, but word by word, or parts of the sentence get rearranged ... when copying from Microsoft Word back into the UTF-8 xml file.

Questions:
1. What editor should I be using?
2. Is it ok to mix english and Arabic on the same line (such as the App Name or other words that should not be translated) or is this fundamentally a no-no?

I posted at StackOverflow:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6067762/android-translating-to-arabic

and one person mentioned about "directionality marks". Does anyone have experience with this or know a good editor that would make it possible for my translator to put in these hidden characters into the text? I cannot assume she will be editing the binary.

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Sorour
Sorour
Local time: 18:44
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
Use Tageditor Jun 3, 2011

It's recomended to use Tageditor to trabnslate XMl file.

mail me a sample, i will try to fix it!

Brand Localization
Brand Localization
Egypt
Local time: 19:44
German to Arabic
+ ...
A simple way to insert the direction control marks Jun 3, 2011

Hi Everybody,

There a simple way to insert the right to left and left to right marks in any application under windows:

1- Right to left mark: ALT + 0254 from the right numeric pad in the keyboard
2- Left to Right mark: ALT + 0253 from the right numeric pad in the keyboard

Without using any special editors or macros, this can be used in any application, whether in Notepad, Word, HTML, XML... etc.

Hopefully, this would be helpful for every
... See more
Hi Everybody,

There a simple way to insert the right to left and left to right marks in any application under windows:

1- Right to left mark: ALT + 0254 from the right numeric pad in the keyboard
2- Left to Right mark: ALT + 0253 from the right numeric pad in the keyboard

Without using any special editors or macros, this can be used in any application, whether in Notepad, Word, HTML, XML... etc.

Hopefully, this would be helpful for everybody

Best regards
Your ATT
Collapse

swinefeaster
swinefeaster
TOPIC STARTER
reply Jun 6, 2011

@Surour - thanks for the suggestion. I googled "tageditor" and couldn't find it. Can you provide a link? Also, I've PMed you; if you could take a look my word doc that would be very helpful.

@ATT - use ALT unicode key combos to insert invisible characters is not a simple way for a non-computer savvy translator to translate text. Thanks anyways

Ali Alsaqqa
Ali Alsaqqa  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:44
English to Arabic
... Jun 10, 2011

swinefeaster wrote:

@Surour - thanks for the suggestion. I googled "tageditor" and couldn't find it. Can you provide a link? Also, I've PMed you; if you could take a look my word doc that would be very helpful.

@ATT - use ALT unicode key combos to insert invisible characters is not a simple way for a non-computer savvy translator to translate text. Thanks anyways

As for "tag editor" it's a component of SDL Trados 2007, precedent
of SDL Trados Studio 2009, neither is free, but you can download a demo.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating App To Arabic

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »